Steve Omi Foundation
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 86/256
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm for 4:15 but woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep - only got four hours of sleep. Had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana and washed it down with Gatorade and water. Drank coffee on the drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike about a mile, just to clip in shoes and get in a good gear for the start. Ran for about 10 minutes, then jumped in the water and swam about 200 yards. Had a gel and a bottle of water 15 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 18m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off well, I was in the first wave and was in the front third of the group - started on the outside,so had very little contact. As we rounded the second buoy, the sun was low in the East, and directly in our eyes. A group of us sighted on the next buoy and took off. Half way there, I noticed a couple of people in front of me stop and turn to the left - I took a look in that direction and about 30 yards away is another buoy that we didn't see. The detour cost a couple of minutes and raised the heart rate some. Also, with the stop and turn, I felt the beginning of a cramp in my left hammy - did almost no kicking after that because I was scared of a full-blown cramp.
What would you do differently?:

Should have counted the buoys before the race and noted that they were alternating between red and yellow. Should have also picked out landmarks on the shore to aim at because the buoys were hard to see with the sun glare on the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Always have trouble getting suit over ankles. This time I tried Tri-slide, which might have worked, but as I stood on the suit and tried to yank my left leg out, I got a cramp in my left calf - so I sat down and wrestled the suit off my feet. Passed about eight people at the start line with a flying mount.

Practice with the Tri-slide before the race.
Bike
  • 35m 11s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 22.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Went extra hard on the bike because with the flat, straight course and a head wind, I knew the bigger stronger guys would have an advantage. Felt good and passed a lot of people - had one guy that was shamelessly drafting the heck out of me for about 6 miles - finally shook him at mile 9 with a short sprint and a couple of strategic snot rockets. Had a gel and 12oz of water with about 5 miles left.

Drink something earlier in the bike - may have helped the cramps I had in the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Good T2 - couldn't have done it much faster. Went past four people with the flying dismount.

Nothing
Run
  • 26m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Going hard on the bike effected the run more than I thought it would. Calves cramped pretty bad the first couple hundred yards, also had trouble getting the Garmin into running mode because I had forgot to stop it at the end of the bike. Finally stopped for about 10 seconds and stretched the calves while I sorted out the Garmin. The short delay was worth it, the calves felt better and at about 800 yards I started to feel my legs. Ran negative splits, but they weren't as fast as I had hoped, the legs still seemed tight.

Remember to stop Garmin pulling into T2. Not sure what to do about calf cramps - have done lots of brick workouts and not had these kind of cramps for months. Thought I was plenty hydrated but maybe should have done more early in the bike given the extra intensity.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg cramps - threat of hamstring cramps on swim and calf cramps on the run.

Event comments:

Very well organized for first annual - enthusiastic volunteers and fans.

Last updated: 2011-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:25 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 119/256
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 - full
Course: Pre-race diagrams showed a rectangular course with four buoys - turned out to be more of a pentagon shape with five buoys, which turned out to be an issue for me.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:11 | 13.2 miles | 22.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 65/256
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat out and back with only two 90 degree turns and a turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:24 | 03.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 125/256
Performance: Average
Course: Mainly flat loop with one gentle incline and a two hundred yard downhill in the last quarter mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: Hayden Triathlon

2011-07-18 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3602334

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Hayden Triathlon
Congrats on a nice race!  I was out there also and thought the organizers did a very nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hayden Triathlon Rss Feed