XTERRA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 51s
Overall Rank = 14/83
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in Avon with the family. Woke up around 4:00 and couldn't fall back asleep; logistics of event churning through my head. Out of bed at 6:00 and had a Clif Bar and banana. Drove up to Beaver Creek Village where T2 was located and dropped off the kids' bikes for their duathlon and set up my T2. Drove back to the condo and hung out for a bit and then rode my bike to T1. Didn't allow enough time here and was rushed to set up T1, get bodymarked, pick up chip, etc. Didn't get to warm up and ended up forgetting to put on my timing chip! I hate waiting around for races to start but at the same time I need to have more time than this. Got my wetsuit on and jumped in the water with just a few minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Was able to swim a few yards to get used to the water and that was it. Not good!
Swim
  • 15m 10s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started towards the back and swam to nearly the second buoy freestyle. Sighted well. Felt like I was swimming with a lot of new swimmers. Backstrokers swimming S's in front of me, over me, etc. Literally grabbed a few swimmers by the legs and pointed them in the right direction. Annoying but funny I guess. I swam great straight lines and had a handful of people swim right in front of me the wrong direction. Unfortunately, this kept me swimming a lot of freestyle to distance myself from these people and my shoulders got pretty sore! Popped out of the water right around 15:00 and in the middle of the pack. Obviously, the course was short and I would put it at about 750 yards.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little farther forward. My freestyle swimming is decent, just have to add breast stroke to relieve my aching shoulders.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Awful, awful, awful (ditto for T2). Realized coming out of the water that I'd forgotten to put my chip on. Wetsuit off easy but they wanted you to stuff all of your gear into a trash bag so they could transport it to T2 and break down T1. Thus I had to take time to "pack" before I could go. Between that and putting my shoes on in T1, throwing on a camel back, etc. I just felt like time was flying by. Put my gloves on as I was riding.

Allow more time before the race to get ready. I rushed myself here. I normally leave my shoes on the pedals, not sure how well this works for MTB. Lots of learning here.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 18s
  • 9 miles
  • 7.37 mile/hr
Comments:

First mile was relatively flat getting out of town and then a tough steep climb out of a parking lot. Jumped off the road and let the climbing begin, as in I got a little panicked because of the amount of climbing! I really had no idea how to pace myself here versus the risk of blowing up. I just settled into what felt like a hard "sprint" like effort and tried to cue off other riders. Didn't see a sniff of downhill until just over 4 miles and that was short lived. Then more climbing until about six miles. I kept my cadence high and was pretty much in the granny gear for all of it. Took a Gu @ 00:52 minutes in and sipped on my Cytomax. I was only passed once or twice climbing, which I was very proud of. Started the downhill and just tried not to die. I'm relatively comfortable with downhill speed but I'm no freak. Managed to hit a good sized rock hiding in the grass and fortunately didn't damage my bike or my head. No falls and powered through the trouble spots.

This is an experience thing here. Bought my Stumpjumper in the spring and have to divide time among it and my road bikes. Most of my rides have been around the tame trails of Highlands Ranch, with the exception of two rides at Lair of the Bear. Thank God for those as I wouldn't have had a chance at Beaver Creek. So keep riding, maybe swap out for some lighter components here and there, etc. Keep climbing, I like it!
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Bleh. Went to put on my left shoe and found that my orthotic had bunched up when I put it in earlier. Had to take it out three times to get it right.

Check my shoes. This sucks as my T2 is normally amongst the fastest of the day.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming off the bike and saw a guy and girl ahead of me. Caught the guy quickly and then passed the girl around 0.75 miles. The first part of the singletrack wasn't bad and while it was definitely climbing, it was manageable. After the 1st aid station though the run became markedly steeper. I've never really trail run before but it quickly became apparent to me that certain sections lent itself to walking rather than running. So when I couldn' run faster than I could walk, I would power walk. Caught up with another guy and girl and we stayed together until the second aid station, which began the downhill. At this point, I let things go and tried to make up time. Skipped the aid station and hammered the run home. Passed another guy in my AG on the way down. Finished strong but could tell my quads were unhappy.

Not much. I think most people have to walk portions of these trails so I stopped worrying about that. Turns out I had the fourth fastest run of the day so I'm ok with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged around the flat sidewalks for about a mile. Quads cramped up at first but then ok.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience and recent hip pain. First XTERRA! Limited mountain bike experience, limited trail running. Definitely different strategies versus road triathlon. Past week dealt with a sore glute and it didn't feel good until the day before.
Missed the podium again. Last year I would have been second and this year I would have been second in 40-44. Not sure aging up next year will help though ;)

Event comments:

XTERRA is amazing. Great laid back, friendly vibe. Not as serious as road tri but still very competitive. Got to see the top pros coming into T2 and the finish.
Big question is do I do the Sport race again next year to try to make the podium or do I go for the full distance. I was spent at the end of this race and can honestly say that XTERRA is so much tougher both physically and mentally than road triathlons.

Last updated: 2011-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:10 | 875 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Good
Actual swim time was 15:03.
Suit: ProMotion
Course: Clockwise loop at Lake Nottingham.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:18 | 09 miles | 7.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 18/83
Wind: None
Course: Started at the lake in Avon and headed up Beaver Creek Mountain into the ski resort. Base elevation was 7300 feet and tipped over at 9100 feet. About 70% climbing/30% descent.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:41 | 03 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 4/83
Course: Singletrack climbing until about mile 2, then downhill along a service road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: XTERRA Beaver Creek (Sport)

2011-07-19 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3602378

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: XTERRA Beaver Creek (Sport)
Congrats on your first Xterra!  Next year your get the podium with the experience you gained.  Nice job!
2011-07-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3602378

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Beaver Creek (Sport)
congrats on your 1st Xterra.  Yep, the off road stuff is way different than the road events.  I wish there were more of these.  My thoughts on keeping your shoes on the pedal to make a faster T2.  I suppose it depends on what transition is like.  My experience has been that it's best to put your shoes on and run with the bike out of transition.  In most the races I've done trasition have been rocky, muddy or dusty and have sticker burs.  Who wants to run through that barefoot or in socks?  Again great job on the race. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Beaver Creek (Sport) Rss Feed