88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 4s
Overall Rank = 15/800
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/51
Pre-race routine:

Anatomy of a Race Fail, Part I

I registered for the double-Mussel, which is a Sprint on Saturday and Half-Ironman on Sunday. It’s such a great deal that it makes the 5 dolla footlong look like a rip. We stayed at the Musselman-organized Athlete Village. You get an air conditioned dorm room at Hobart and William Smith college, only a few miles from the race site. Ayooooo, flashbacks all weekend; two twin beds, two dressers, group bathrooms! Where’s the keg and the bong hiding?
Event warmup:

Race morning was well organized and Alaina and I were in good spirits for the sprint. We talked about hitting HIM effort on the bike and holding back on the run. After a quick swim warmup I got in the corral and headed into the mouth of the canal.
Swim
  • 11m 28s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good stuff that canal swim. It’s so narrow that you can sight easily, tuck your chin down and cruise. I’ve put in good effort at the pool this year, but what I have not gained in speed I've made up in confidence. The swim is no longer the reaper waiting with scythe to cull me; I actually look forward to it. Not bad for someone who has had multiple panic attacks during OWS in races.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

As soon as I exited the swim something was badly wrong. I had this wall of nausea and a brick in the top of my stomach that I couldn’t get out. It took all my will not to hurl all over my transition area and get my bike stuff on.
Bike
  • 43m 7s
  • 16 miles
  • 22.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Maybe I just swallowed some diesel water? Nope, this wouldn’t go away and I couldn’t get it going at all during the first 10 miles of a measly 16 mile bike ride. My HR was freebasing and my stomach revolting upward from my diaphragm, making it hard to take a deep breath. Finally the indigestion sludge started to go down at mile 12.

At the end of the bike, I took my feet out of my shoes too early, misjudging the length of the park road into transition and lost more time here. D’oh! I felt like Homer Simpson, one bad turn after another.

Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This T2 time is too long even with the mistakes. I think they got this part long and deducted time off my run because I didn’t run quite that fast. When they first posted times I didn’t have a T2 or a run split time, so something timing chip wise was FUBAR.

WTF was I doing in there? Flossing?
Run
  • 19m 21s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to catch my breath at the start of the run, but the stomach issue came back with a thousand fury heads and buried itself in my guts for some nazty cramping. Gremlins were in my GI tract with ball peen hammers and awls, like seven angry dwarves working all the live long day. I wasn’t even running that hard by RPE, but my gut felt like I was doing 400 repeats at the track. Gah!

Felt great to cross the finish line and be done with the heat and the inability to GO with any conviction. I wanted to rock the first Sprint distance I’ve done in three years but I sucked hard!
Post race
Warm down:

Musselman had these amazing inflatable pools with sprinklers and tents over them for ice bath relaxation right at the end of the finish line. Genius. This was the creme de la creme.

After the race we drove down to Cornell to revisit some memories. We walked for miles up the hills in an effort to truly screw the pooch on tomorrow’s race. Mission accomplished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Thinking ‘it’s only a Sprint’ I probably didn’t hold back enough on the run, but whatevah, it wasn’t my muscles that wouldn’t respond all weekend.

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:28 | 820 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/51
Overall: 68/800
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:07 | 16 miles | 22.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/51
Overall: 16/800
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:21 | 03.2 miles | 06m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/51
Overall: 7/800
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-20 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-24 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3606168

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon
Sorry you didn't feel well for this race. Even with the fury headed GI monsters though, you still came in 15/800. That's pretty impressive.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed