Triangle Off Road Cyclists (TORC)
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M19-39
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

2 pieces of cheese toast for breakfast, 2 cups of coffee. Trying the low-stress, mountain bike prep these days...good vibe. Got to race site about 9:45, parked next to Lee (racing the next up AG). I was in 19-39.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 13s
  • 13.22 miles
  • 10.83 mile/hr
Comments:

A fun race in the woods. I'm finding out I'm a good climber, but lousy everywhere else. I did start to get the feel of the course better on lap 2 (which weill help me in everyday riding out there). Feeling more comfortable on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to ride downhill, rooty sections.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched the Sport class go off. Chatted with Lee. Ate some watermelon. Had a mix1 vanilla protein recovery shake (got it free from mix1 in the mail). Cruised on back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Downhills and flats. Falling.

Event comments:

Fun race, looking forward to spending some time at HLCP in prep for Race at the Reactor.

Last updated: 2011-07-13 12:00 AM
Biking
01:13:13 | 13.22 miles | 10.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
First lap a tad slow, hung up behind some slower riders. Once I cleared them, I started picking it up a bit. First lap time 37:13, which includes a sprint into the woods from the parking lot. Almost hit the deck even on that when I got cut off and had to shut it down quick. First lap pretty uneventful. Had a couple off-course excursions on lap 1, but learned from those. My front brake master cylinder adjustment was loosening up, and I was losing brake lever. Thought I was losing pads! Lap 2 was another story. I went down very hard about 3 miles into it, front tire slid out on a downhill root at a pretty good clip (around 15mph), and I tore up my left knee on gravel, right elbow on something, tweaked my neck, and felt a pretty good punch in the nether regions. Got up, saw nothing protruding or bent, and motored on. I had been following rider #106 for a bit, but was happy to sit behind him (he'd leave me on the downhills and flats, and I'd reel him in on the uphills). But after my fall, once I reeled him back in, I went on to pass him for good. However, near the end of lap 2, I missed the turn to go back out on Loop1 and the culvert. I realized my error when I got to a section of pink tape ahead of me, and saw that someone else had already gone through it. I u-turned, and started back up the (wrong) trail I had come down. I had gone about .2 miles back up it when 3 racers were coming towards me, on the same wrong trail. I called out "I think we missed a turn", when the lead one said "I think this is right, it's about 13.5 miles total". But it wasn't right. But rather than fight others that were surely coming behind them (on the wrong trail), I turned around and followed in behind them. So, actual finishing position might be a tad better than it should've been. I clocked lap 1 at 6.7 miles. Lap 2 should've been about 6.6, for a total of 13.3 total (since we didn't have the parking lot .1 to do). After I finished, I took my chip to turn it in, and went to the scorer's table and said I didn't think I completed the course. He said "Did you finish top 3?" I said "no way". He said "No problem" :)
Wind: None
Course: Can't even begin to describe the route. Fun though!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right