Trisport Canada Inc.
28C / 82F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 7s
Overall Rank = 67/367
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Everything was ready the night before. Just needed to pack the bike on the car, bowl of cereal and I was off. Purposely decided to not eat anything more, and mostly avoided the Gatorade pre-race. Just a couple of sips before we went off + a gel with water.
Event warmup:

Just a few minutes of swimming. Debated about leaving the wetsuit behind, but decided that even with the extra warmth I was better off in the suit.
Swim
  • 20m 39s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was not good - I was actually surpised with my time afterwards since I felt it was worse than what the times showed in the end. I started off far right with the plan to work my way back into the buoy line, but unfortunately the horn went off and everyone went right and I got trampled + pushed waaaay right. Being in the first wave seemed good until that horn had gone off, and there were an awful lot of competitive people looking for a small amount of space. I took a solid punch to the face at one point and just decided to stay to the right until I got about 3-400M in and the pack had thinned out.
What would you do differently?:

The swim continues to be a struggle - 4 years and my times are really not that much better. I also get a bit lazy in the wetsuit since I have the added buoyancy. I need to focus more on technique and see how much that helps in OWS.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I was 8th in T1, but it felt like I was slow. Could still be faster.

Just hurry the hell up!
Bike
  • 52m 29s
  • 30 kms
  • 34.30 km/hr
Comments:

As usual I'm solid MOP. Power numbers tell me I could have pushed harder, and it's something that I struggle with in a race. I get in a comfortable/hard state and always have the run on the back of my mind. Need to find the willingness to suffer a bit more on the bike and see what happens.

With all that said I still felt I paced the bike fairly well, and the 5km we were going uphill was where I made up time on some people. But I was still shocked how many guys passed me early on when I thought I was doing fairly well.

I made one significant change on the bike - and that was how much I drank. After suffering a serious stitch in the last race that wrecked the run, I only drank water, and only took very small sips. I felt a small stitch during the ride and thought the plan hadn't worked, but in the end it did.

Push the power a little more - also time to drop the bars a bit and see if getting lower helps with the speed a bit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

11th in T2 - gave up some seconds here. Showed up at my bike rack to find some moron had racked his bike over my area but on the other side. Ultimately decided to rack my bike on top of his since I had no space left. Took too much time with the shoes, etc.

It's a theme - be faster.
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

This was a good run - solid, even pace, but I didn't try to kill myself. Only had minor issues with pain in my side/stomach but nothing that impacted the run so I was happy about that. Got passed by two guys in my AG right at the beginning. One guy held about 100M in front but I couldn't close it, while the other one shot by me to never be seen again.

I realy didn't pass many people, and quite a few people had solid runs. The guy who was 100M in front of me looked like he was maybe fading a little in the last couple of km and I closed to about 50M. In the last km I passed him and a couple of others as I gave eveything I had, ultimately finishing 5sec in front of him.

Lay down at the end, and a medic came along and checked on me - just out of breath, but thanks for checking.

Nothing. I wasn't going to blow up my legs on this run and impact training for the next few days. Just can't afford to do that at the moment. Maybe at the next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay in the grass for a few minutes, ran into a couple of people, and ate the food (good pulled pork sandwiches).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Willingness to suffer on the bike + bad form swimming. The swimming may need lots of work, but the ability to go a little faster on the bike is likely limited to not mentally committing all the way. Need to work on the mental part of racing, not just the physical.

Event comments:

TriSport always put on a good event, and this was no different.

Last updated: 2011-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:39 | 1000 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 136/367
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:29 | 30 kms | 34.30 km/hr
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 77/367
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: One big square that takes a small detour to add in the extra km to get it up to 30. Slight downhill for the first 1/2 and uphill on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:34 | 07 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 12/27
Overall: 54/367
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run on and out and back (and detour to the side) route.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes