General Discussion Race Reports! » JACO Chun's to Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JACO Chun's to Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #3 - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waialua, Hawaii
United States
Hawaii Swim
76F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 290/600+
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Waimea later than normal and ended up having to pay to park at the falls.
Event warmup:

Attempted to swim where it looked like the was room to swim. Ended up essentially trapped in the water by the reef. Could have made it back to shore, but didn't want to risk any more reef damage to my hands and feet.
Finally found a spot after swimming around for about 20-30 minutes and just waited until the rest of the swimmers tried to get out to the start. I was treading water for too long and was worried about the effect on my swim.
Swim
  • 55m 33s
  • 2575 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lost a lot of energy treading water while "stranded" out in the reef. I didn't feel energized or motivated as much as normal and the reef survival didn't help. I was more amped up and had a superb effort level on the 1.2 mile swim than I did today. I had a few folks that I kept running into and got a really hard elbow to the forehead once near the midway point. One seemed to cut me off every time I tried to change my sight line to avoid him. What an A-hole.I think that slowed me down quite a bit too. I'm glad I finished under an hour, but I think I could have done better.
What would you do differently?:

Get the head in the game. Try not to get stranded by the reef for so long resulting in prolonged pre-race swimming. My knee was bothering me on this one too, so I had that affecting my stroke. I had a few chunks where I felt strong and had a good rhythmic stroke, but they were short lived.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running into people, erratic stroke, stranded on the reef.

Event comments:

The NSSS is always a well executed race. They should be proud.

Last updated: 2011-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:33 | 2575 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/
Overall: 290/600+
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: I like the straight swims instead of laps. Course was well marked and we could use the church tower for sighting. These are always well run events.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-30 5:54 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Subject: JACO Chun's to Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JACO Chun's to Waimea Bay Swim - North Shore Swim Series Event #3 Rss Feed