Ann Arbor, Michigan
United States
Ann Arbor Active Against ALS
Total Time = 17m 51s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

After my shitastic Double-Musselman race I've been wandering about looking for my race mojo like Eeyore moping over his tail. So I decided that doing my first open 5k, where I can just bang out some hard miles with very little risk of total fail, was a perfect-o way of finding it.
Event warmup:

Gave myself enough time to fully digest breakfast and clean the pipes this time around. Could be key for Steelhead in a couple weeks. Also, I ran 3 miles EZ bambeezey to the race start and that settled any lingering GI devils. Saw the dude that finished 2nd doing some warmups on the trail too. Fast people have some kinda mark on them -- you can always tell.
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The race is old skool without chip timing (but crazy cheap!), so if you want accuracy, you need to start right at the front on the line, which isn't a big deal in such a small race. But when the horn sounded I thought for sure there'd be a dozen dudes flying past me. Instead, I settled into 3rd, behind a couple of speed demons. Yeah, until I looked at my Garmin and saw 5:30m/m and checked myself before I wrecked myself, dialing it back to 5:40m/m.

Around mile 1 this shirtless guy passed me and I figured there'd be plenty more, but I wanted to delay it, so I gunned it for a minute. Hey legs, can you hold this pace down there? 'Sure we can, we're invincible, we can turn over like this for...uh, nevermind...we're smoking.' Stayed steadily ~50 feet behind #1 and #2 and watched shirtless take over first place. Dang, nice pacing!

The trail turns from paved to wood chips with some roots exposed for 1/8 mile, so that probably dropped my pace back a couple seconds overall since we have to pass it twice. On the first loop I didn't lose much ground to the guys ahead of me, so I stuck to the same pace through mile 2.

The last mile I heard Jules from Pulp Fiction preaching "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to GO TOO HARD IN MILE ONE. And you will know I am the 5K when I lay my vengeance upon YOUR LAST MILE." Maybe that's not what he said.

When I reached the wood chips just 1/4 mile before the finish, the first and second place guys had sorted themselves out. But #3 was fading fast and not turning over well on the soft surface. So I dug into that guitar case loaded with guns and passed him, holding on to the finish and meeting my goal of sub 18:00. Stoked!
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

Ran with my supa run pal, Nancy for a couple of miles sharing snippets of our race. She won her AG and met her sub-23 goal, so we were all high fives and fist bumps.

I had to put in 16 total miles today since I'm training for Chicago Marathon, and what's a better late-marathon prep session than running on tired sticks?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Zip

Last updated: 2011-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:51 | 03.11 miles | 05m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop paved path course with a coupla bumps and a 1/4 mile section of cedar chips
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Electric Bolt 5k

2011-07-31 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3622612

User image

Boston
Subject: RE: Electric Bolt 5k
You are soooooo freakin FAST! Great job Ryan!
2011-08-02 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3622612

User image

Subject: RE: Electric Bolt 5k
Ryan, only you can adeptly slip in a perfect Pulp Fiction reference into a 5k race report!!  Congrats on 3rd OA and a supid-uber-fast pace that you held till the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Electric Bolt 5k Rss Feed