Set Up Events
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 52s
Overall Rank = 86/265
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/24
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race goals. Well, even the water is going to be 85 degrees+ and highs in the 90s, so hydration going in is important and the heat will play a role, especially in the run. I was 1:45 last year, so my stretch goal will be 1:40 which should put me solidly MoP for my age group. Most of the improvement will need to come on the bike, and a little on the run and hold steady on the rest. Last year, I had probably my best transitions for a race (b/c I hadn't been training, I knew I had to get some improvement there). Anyway, goal is to have fun and be faster than last year.

Had a late night political argument with my Mom the night before which was just plain stupid in so many ways. So, I got to bed later than I had hoped. Woke up once during the night and then (as usual) before my alarm at 4:30. Had 2 cups of coffee and cereal and was on my way at 5:20. Met Mike at Small's - good to have his company, especially on the way back with the lack of good sleep.
Event warmup:

Could have probably used an extra 5 minutes as the packet pickup lines and porta john lines were long, but got everything done and headed down to the lake and we were wave 2 this year. As we were asked to get in the water, Michael mentioned that my seam had split in my tri shorts. Hmmmm... not the news I wanted before entering the water.
Swim
  • 15m 42s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I seemed to run into more people this year than normal which was fairly frustrating. Then, after swimming pretty straight for the 1st 2/3rds of the course, really went wide right in the last leg. I'm sure that added some time.

[Post time: 1:20 slower than last year - opportunity for improvement]
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Due to my new type of "aero" position with the tri shorts, I dug through my bag and found some running shorts (phew) which I put on over my rapidly deteriorating suit. Kind of ironic as I was mentioning to our mentor group how there's almost always some little surprise that will come up and can knock you off your focus - this was a perfect example. Anyway, it added probably about minute, but it didn't throw off my mental focus.

Took the time to have some of my cold G2 and water mix as it was humid and warm today.

[Post time: 18 seconds slower than last year - given the problem, better than I expected, but definitely opportunity for improvement here]
What would you do differently?:

I was glad I happened to throw in the running shorts last night, but all that certainly slowed things down a bit.
Bike
  • 53m 38s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Generally felt like a strong bike ride. Was able to be in aero position for most of the race. Did make several really bad gearing mistakes on the uphill, but fortunately didn't lose my chain or anything more significant. Haven't seen the time yet, but I think a significant improvement over last year on a challenging course.

[Post time: 5:22 improvement over last year - woohoo!]
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Generally fine.

[Post time: :50 seconds slower than last year - opportunity for improvement, but with shoe change, can't hit last year's time]
Run
  • 25m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I passed 3 50-54s on these hills, so it was oddly enough a confidence builder. May have been that my experience helped. If you haven't hit those hills before, they can be rather discouraging. Anyway, picked up a few AG places on the run. Wasn't fast, but overall a decent pace. This is a run where the mental aspect is essential - very happy with that aspect this year.

[Post time - 2:56 faster than last year - really happy with the time]
Post race
Warm down:

A couple of Subway sandwiches, water, watermelon, and G2. Walked around and waited for Michael to finish. Nicole finished a few seconds faster than I did... she did well!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T2

Event comments:

My favorite Sprint course from a course perspective. Challenging, but I keep coming back for more. Very happy with my time improvement (5+ minutes faster than last year).

Very happy overall with this race. 8/24 in a good field and my ranking across disciplines was fairly even. Lost 1-2 minutes in the transitions, but that wouldn't have made a difference in the age group placing, but room for improvement for next year. Also brought the run ranking down closer to the swim and the bike on a relative basis. If I can stay healthy, this Fall's marathon training should close that gap even more.

Last updated: 2011-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:42 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 88/265
Performance: Below average
Suit: Split seam tri shorts
Course: Normal triangle. Sighting buoys were miserably placed so I just ignored them and aimed for the yellow triangle corners.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:38 | 16 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 81/265
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: moderately hilly course with low traffic and many turns. First 6 miles or so are the most challenging.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:52 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 115/265
Performance: Good
Course: That damned hill coming out of T2 is a killer. And I forgot about the 2nd hill around mile one. Does make for a nice last mile though on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-01 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Culpeper Sprint

2011-08-01 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3623092

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Culpeper Sprint
Nice job!  Good improvement on bike, run and overall time.  Too bad about the shorts issue.  Congrats on the race.

Randy 
2011-08-01 1:08 PM

User image

Given the weather that is an awesome report and result. You must be thrilled. Sounds like you weren't tired and you enjoyed the race. The bike and run were really fast too. Way to go. I'm putting running shorts on my list of "must haves" for my next tri!
2011-08-02 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Great job given the weather.  If I do this race again I will definitely do the sprint.  The International distance was just too long given the heat and the late (8am) start time...
2011-08-02 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
You were right about the orange buoys... I  ignored them too.  Great race though. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpeper Sprint Rss Feed