General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unstable aerobars on road bike... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-02 4:40 PM

User image

Subject: Unstable aerobars on road bike...

I just recently purchased some Profile Design GT Jammer Aerobars for my road bike to gain another position for my hands, and after the necessary adjustments (moved seat forward, took out spacers, lowered the bars, etc.) I have a hard time getting comfortable on them.  I've gone out about 3 times and every time my handling and steering seems like it wants to get out of control.  I know it's not an ideal setup, but is this a normal learning curve and just something that takes more practice? Or do I need longer bars? A professional bike fit? Or should I just scratch them and leave aerobars to the tri bikes.

Thanks for the advice!!

2011-08-02 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3626146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Unstable aerobars on road bike...
can2 - 2011-08-02 4:40 PM

I just recently purchased some Profile Design GT Jammer Aerobars for my road bike to gain another position for my hands, and after the necessary adjustments (moved seat forward, took out spacers, lowered the bars, etc.) I have a hard time getting comfortable on them.  I've gone out about 3 times and every time my handling and steering seems like it wants to get out of control.  I know it's not an ideal setup, but is this a normal learning curve and just something that takes more practice? Or do I need longer bars? A professional bike fit? Or should I just scratch them and leave aerobars to the tri bikes.

Thanks for the advice!!

A professional fit isn't necessary per se, but having a bad fit could mess with your handling.  Also there is a learning curve to using them at first.

2011-08-02 4:52 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
First, it does take time getting comfortable in the aero bars. Second, this is unfortunately a common problem with aero bars on a road bike. You have effective shifted your weight distribution forward, which is exactly the opposite of how the bike was designed to be ridden... On a normal road bike set up, you will have the center of weight distribution very close to the bottom bracket.

Pushing your seat forward and then leaning into your aero bars means that the center of weight will be very close to the fork... resulting in a twitchy bike.

You probably should push the seat back to the original position and the move the elbow pads closer to you, keeping the weight distribution rearward
2011-08-02 5:00 PM

User image

NH

Last year the first time out with those exact bars, I tried to get aero and couldn't even force myself to do it.  Then I gradually grabbed one side and left the other hand on the drops.  Eventually I put both arms down briefly. You get the idea - I was petrified and couldn't imagine being down in the bars for more than a few seconds at a time.

Fast forward to a few weeks later and I was riding aero for as long as I wanted and in fact now I'm more comfortable in them than out.  Just keep at it and try little bits at a time, maybe even putting one arm down at a time.

2011-08-02 5:31 PM

User image

Looks like I'll adjust the seat a bit and keep practicing!

Thanks!

2011-08-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3626169

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

audiojan - 2011-08-02 5:52 PM First, it does take time getting comfortable in the aero bars. Second, this is unfortunately a common problem with aero bars on a road bike. You have effective shifted your weight distribution forward, which is exactly the opposite of how the bike was designed to be ridden... On a normal road bike set up, you will have the center of weight distribution very close to the bottom bracket. Pushing your seat forward and then leaning into your aero bars means that the center of weight will be very close to the fork... resulting in a twitchy bike. You probably should push the seat back to the original position and the move the elbow pads closer to you, keeping the weight distribution rearward

x2.

Road bikes weren't meant to handle well with all the weight on the front wheel. Get the best aero position you can while keeping the saddle back - with the saddle back - and keep the weight where the road bike wants it. A compromise, yes, but a decent tradeoff nonetheless.

2011-08-03 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In addition to the points already mentioned, the other factor is the fact that your aerobars are inside your hoods which means that a smaller steering input will have a much larger effect than if your hands were on the hoods. This is why the steering of a tribike is designed to be "slower" so that when in the aeroposition, it is more stable and you can more easily ride in a straight line. A road bike, OTOH, is designed to have "faster" steering which makes the bike more agile but less stable when you add aerobars.

Shane
2011-08-03 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
I went through this a few months ago, but I am no means an expert.  I put a pair on my road bike (without making other adjustments) and had these thoughts of jumping into them and flying through my normal route.  It was so much harder than I imagined and I was all over the place.  Literally, I almost put myself right into the Allegheny River.  I thought that I made a huge mistake and was going to give up.  Then, it just clicked and it felt much more natural.  I was even abe to jump out of them to the brakes to save myself from accidents.  Like I said, I am not an expert, but that is my experience
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unstable aerobars on road bike... Rss Feed