United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 38m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I can't thank fellow BTers enough, because it was reading race reports right here that really made me want to do this race. I never in a million years would have attempted this had it not been for the inspiration here and especially that of the BT ironmoms: the amazing Kathy G, Rene (catwoman), and Alice from Ohio who did Rev 3 full last year..... yes ladies, the impossible is possible!!

Just as a little background, this was my third tri ever. First was an olympic in 2009 and second was an olympic in 2010. I race with zero technology (didn't even have on a basic watch) and had no idea my time for anything during the race (except seeing time coming out of first loop of water)... was psyched when, gettig to the end of race, it seemed the sun hadn't quite set. (I am NOT saying this is a good approach! and I would be interested in learning to pace and push myself better using technology ...this is just how I have rolled so far)

My husband had a great comment about all the folks aroung Lake Placid the days before the race: "It is like a space ship landed and all these super fit, attractive, smiling humans in tight knee high socks got off"

Day of race, got up at 3:30 am and broke first of many "tri racing rules" by trying nutrition I hadn't before :O. Drank 2 ensures (never did this before) and ate a banana. Yep then I felt nausea... got in bed and held my 6 year old sleeping boy until 4:45. He was snoring rather loudly which made me laugh and feel better. Overall, I think all those 3:30 am calories helped but man did I pay with a lot of nausea that didn't abate until 6:30.

Event warmup:

nervous chatter
Swim
  • 1h 15m 41s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well I very nearly pulled out of the race I was so scared of the swim. I was really kicking myself for my lack of open water training. The pushing, pulling, and getting whacked was actually worse than I thought it would be :O ! but I dealt with it better than I thought I would. On the second lap, as I pulled arm through the water the resounding thought in my head was "I FEEL SO EMPOWERED right now" and it was magical. To think I was scared to go in the ocean past my ankles a few years ago!! and to think I taught myself to swim by reading about it in a flipping book!! I am sorry if I am annoyingly excited about this but the swim was my worst fear and, of course, Murphy's Law, the part of the race I was the fastest in!!... go figure (oh and confession for any of those who are as self conscious of their swim as I was, I can only breathe on the right side)
What would you do differently?:

Since I have had almost no coaching would be cool to see where I could go by cleaning up my technique a bit
Transition 1
  • 11m 37s
Comments:

Ha ha! I was so pumped getting out of the water I was doing a happy dance, high fiving everyone down the chute to T1, just taking my merry time.

was having so much fun didn't care about my time
Bike
  • 7h 15m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Was so happy setting out on my bike because my (over the top) fear of the swim was over. The beauty of Lake Placid is amazing and I really soaked it up. My plan was just to ride easy, figured I could always "make it up" on the run if I was too easy. It was somewhat comical how much I was getting passed on the beginning of the bike! But evertime some buff guy or gal went past I thought "I can't believe I can swim faster"!

Broke another rule by not waiting a bit to start downing calories (even ate a bite of PB and J in T1)... did really feel the stomach churning off and on and this was the hardest part of the bike. I remember feeling panic at one point that maybe my race could be over if the "GI shutdown" escalated. I kept thinking "sticks (dream chaser's phrase for legs) GOOD, stomach BAD!" Legs felt great the whole time.

Beyond fantastic volunteers and spectators!!! Did feel like a rockstar. One very nice comment from a spectator as I was going up almost the last Bear was "Great leg turnover.. you will run great".. that was sweet.

At the end of the bike I was so overjoyed for two main reasons: #1 my husband wouldn't have to worry about me on the bike anymore (one of the harder parts of tri has been my husband's very valid concern about me crashing on the bike) and #2 I didn't have to make any more descisions about what calories to throw down on the bike anymore

A few times on the bike I'd get a little choked up and shed a few tears with a thought along the lines as this: "I am so thankful to be alive, healthy, and here"

Ride better than a basic roadie with standard issue wheels on legs stronger from more intervals, harder and more biking
Transition 2
  • 10m 14s
Comments:

Ha ha! Again just having a good old time. Had a nice little conversation with my wonderful volunteer who helped me change, telling her she should definitely do the race next year and then being like "oops, I still have a marathon to run so I shouldn't be sounding overly confident"
Run
  • 4h 45m 22s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Was feeling good in full length compression tights but a bit hot. Plan was run slow until I couldn't run anymore. I really didn't know if that would be mile 5 or 20. Spectators were just amazing! I did feel "far away" on some levels though. I was in a little bubble of concentration and I settled into this slow, wonderfully meditative pace with my eyes trained downward on the white line of the road. Ah, isn't this why we all love this! The pure escape of it. Really living in the Now. Walked through all aide stations.

Saw my husband, kids and Dad at about 13 in town and definitely couldn't hold back a few tears at that.

And then finally at about mile 18 (hooray all the way to 18!) yep, I couldn't run any more. This is where years of power walking around helped and started walking at a good clip. Like others have said in their reports, felt more limited by churning GI system then legs. Paired up with another woman who was an absolute angel and did all the remaining miles with her. At mile 25 started crying again, but tried to pull it together. This thing is almost over!!! The run around the oval is a just a dream like everyone says.
Post race
Warm down:

Iced my knee in medical a few minutes but felt fantastic. Found my family, poor kids upset by my sobbing happy tears.

Went back to hotel and ate a bunch of salty french fries and that was it (took in maybe too many calories in race)

The race made and even bigger impression on my 9 year old girl than I thought it would. For a few days after the race she would say, "Remember Momma when that guy called your name and said (she says in a deep voice) 'You are an Iroman!'"

Last updated: 2010-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:41 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
07:15:14 | 112 miles | 15.44 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 10:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:45:22 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-05 5:06 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2011-08-05 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3631333

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-06 6:06 AM

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Great job!  Sounds like you enjoyed the day.  Congrats!

Randy 
2011-08-11 10:32 AM

Veteran
You are amazing! I really enjoyed seeing you out there on the course. I love how you raced with no technology (not even a watch) and that you were scared to get into the water only a few years ago. Great courage and commitment. Congrats!
2011-08-11 10:32 AM

Veteran
You are amazing! I really enjoyed seeing you out there on the course. I love how you raced with no technology (not even a watch) and that you were scared to get into the water only a few years ago. Great courage and commitment. Congrats!
2011-08-12 8:53 PM

Grant, MI

Kate,

Awesome job!  I think you proved that the most important thing for success is heart, which you clearly had.  Technology seems like it would be nice, but heart is crucial.  I can identify with many of your comments - esp. being a novice to something like this.  My tri experience included a shorter than a sprint tri and then a HIM in June, which I really struggled to complete.  I also felt very apprehensive of the swim and when it was done, felt ecstatic on my way to T1.  I think it is great that your kids got to witness your exciting success.  Hopefully they will join you someday and make it a family affair  

2011-08-12 9:00 PM

Master
Bronze member
Absolutely thoroughly & completely loved and appreciated reading about your IM experience...y'know I think this is what those guys were thinking of back in Kona those years ago when this all began..
Bask in the glow..and "You Are an IRONMAN" ....Congratulations!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed