United States
EventPower
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 12m 20s
Overall Rank = 59/541
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 had an english muffin with jelly and a bottle of heed, which i would regret later on! Out the door at 4:30 in the dark I was praying to the weather gods for no rain but lo and behold they weren't answered as it rained during the race! I got to the race site at 5:20 roughly and just set my transition up and did my warm-ups. Just before there was a short race briefing including a prayer and singing the national anthem along with course details and such.
Event warmup:

Had a short run, bike stretching and strides for my legs. Did a dry land warmup for the swim doing my arm swings, circles and light stretching. Oh yea i swam to the start too!
Swim
  • 11m 56s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

All i can say that it was a washing machine! Easily the most violent swim in all the triathlons I've been in. I was being kicked and tackled early on as everyone, including me, was sprinting up front. I got kicked in the face twice, bumped into too many people and had to kick a guy off me. Overall i took it as a hard effort and thanks to the current my time was way off! I was able to hold a strong pace and sighted great except for the last buoy before the finish which i couldn't see XD. My time was skewed thanks to a current but gave me a tougher swim! Overall it was a warm swim and I hope to improve my swim for Tobay later this month!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Got in and out quickly

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 33s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.83 km/hr
Comments:

What can i say it was windy, very very very windy!!!! Started out with a great tailwind causing me to average 23-24 mph going south on William Floyd parkway. Got into the residential part and was averaging around 20-21 mph throughout. At some point during the bike ride it started raining making the roads real wet and slippery, oddly i couldn't tell when it started. Held a hard pace and hammered into the headwinds and i have to give a big thanks for all those houses and trees for blocking some! For it being really wet and slick out I was able to make my turns with perfection! Except for one turn where I nearly fell thanks to an ambiguous turn with no cones and me thinking I was going to crash into a car, i saved my own butt on that one and didn't even unclip! Getting back onto William Floyd the head wind was viscous! Absolutely deadly! It slowed me down to averaging 18 mph till i hit that last turn after the bridge back into the tail wind to finish the bike ride. On a side note i have to say i love a fast flat course though it had two bumps, the bridge twice and a small hill. I have to say also i wasn't ready for the non heat and drank a bit too much, puked a little in my mouth once >.< Overall im very happy with my bike and how i was able to hammer it, reading Maccas book helped a lot, attacking into the headwind and staying in a group/playing catch up helped a ton!

Drink less!
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Just a small but quick hiccup putting my shoes on.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Cramp! Cramp! CRAMP!!! Something happened which caused me to cramp and forced me to slow down, lost over a minute thanks to them! It thankfully was an easy course with only a hill so i didn't have to push my body too hard. I just told myself keep a steady pace and what ever you do Eddie DO NOT WALK!! I kept up with this and pushed through the cramp, luckily it didn't get worse till the end when i was kicking it in! I have to say thanks to the cramp i couldn't go as hard as i wanted to running but oh well thankfully it was only a B race.

Not cramp and drink less in cooler weather
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank that crappy energy drink they gave me, better than nothing lol

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramping in the run, could have broke 1:11:00 but oh well I'm happy with my overall performance so no real complaints. I can't wait till the hillier races in the up coming months!

Event comments:

Great race, great energy and great miserable weather! Hey the bad weather helps me push myself! I'm relatively satisfied and real happy with my bike and aim to improve it more!

Last updated: 2011-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:56 | 500 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 91/541
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: 500m in the great south bay
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good