Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 00m
  • 137 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Stage 1: 12 mile TT, fairly flat some wind. I was excited all day for this – this is the part of the race I should do ok on. I did not anticipate a few things:

-elbow fracture on TT bars hurts like a mofo
-not riding your TT bike for a long time makes it feel a little sketchy
-not training for a TT makes it suck

my power was 35 watts below my FTP!!!! Talk about SUCKING! Oh well. On to the next stage

Stage 2: the Devil’s kitchen awaits at mile 60 of 65. So we all go off, things are fine, I even work my way to the front to be near Lisa and Sara, but I am REALLY skittish about being around people since the crash 3 weeks ago. So as I start getting passed, I cannot find away into the pack and it did not take long until I was dropped – bye bye spare wheels. I knew I had to ride my own race, my elbow and shoulder were both hurting so I just rode. The first downhill, there was a rider on the side of the road with an ambulance and EMTs – I took that downhill much slower than my usually pace being a bit freaked by that site. I passed one girl, who repassed me on the climb and we rode together until she put the pedal to the metal and I did not have it in me.

The course had a different turn than the GPX file on line so now my garmin started yelling at me to make a u turn. After about 15-20 minutes of this I KNOW we are on course (this was the ride we did 2 weeks ago and I recognized the horsies) I try to get my garmin to restart the course and it shuts off!!!!! FML! When I turn it back on it says I have been riding for 5 minutes (and I am at first KOM so 20 miles of data???). I get to the top, am riding the flat NOT cross chaining and drop my chain trying to get in big ring. And I cannot get it to go and stay once off the bike. Argh. Finally I get going. The downhill is da bomb and I pass Helen again. We start riding together when she catches me or eventually we do – all such a blur now. Anyway, we pass the second feed zone and now I am starting to feel good – that is mile 47 the end is in site. We decide to really work together to get to the climb – so I told her keep the pulls short – like 30 seconds. We are working really well, next to the highway (23???) when BOOM explosion – it is my rear tubular. SHIT!!!!. She says she is going to keep going I say of course. Ok, I have a can of pitstop with me – pull it out, read the graphic directions and go to use it – goes into the tire and is sputtering out big time, so I go to see why and sticking out is this giant piece of metal – I go to pull it out and have to really yank it out of the sidewall – it was 2 inches by half inch by about 1/8th inch thickness. Wtf??? Well the defect is huge. A truck has pulled over to see what is up – turns out he is with Farm Team Elite – but no spare wheels. He was like wow you did everything right – had the foam and everything. I am so pissed off (not at him). I cannot believe this. I am finally feeling good so ready to do this climb and I cannot! He gives me a ride to the finish – down to where the car is. Car is locked but the keys are no longer where I left them – now I start crying – on top of everything else someone stole my keys??? Phone is in the car – no help. Then I think maybe scuds has them so I go in search of him (still in cycling shoes) no where to be found. I go back to the car and crawl underneath thinking maybe they moved??? Scuds shows up in his polka dot jersey as I am near hysteria. Sorry Scuds. Once I am changed I explain what happened I find out he is a rockstar and we go to finish to find Sara and Lisa. I am encouraged by many to talk to head ref who could relegate me so could still finish the ToC. He told me I should have ridden my rim (carbon gee that sounds safe, and up Devil’s????) - trying to figure out how that would feel on my elbow fracture…Then he tells me I should have waited an hour for the pro 1,2,3 support – which I did not even know was an option, not to mention that they spent a LOT of time telling us about the 20% time cutoff. I am in tears as he tells me I made a financial decision by not riding my rim and then ask if I am allowed to do the citizen’s race so I can at least ride – that is not a problem. Sara comes through – smiling looking great and a couple minutes later Lisa. 2 stages done.

Stage 3: So, tubie is out, I get my clinchers – 2 gears less (only a 26 instead of a 28 boo) and I carry 3 spare tubes and 4 co2 cartridges as I am now beyond paranoid. I get my new number and am the only woman in the field. The men are all fresh legged (except one guy – in his 60s who according to Sara climbs like a beast). We head out, neutral start I am in front being motor paced – that was fun. Then the race starts and the men do that macho thing - see ya. One guy, Nick rides up to me saying it was a training day for him so we can ride together – cool. He is afraid of downhills so I lose him but then he catches me and wow can he climb so we only ride together to the first KOM. After that it was a long, hot as hades day that just kept going uphill. There was climbing AFTER THE KOMs!!!! Huh???? Are they kidding?? The few downhills were a blast but so outnumbered by climbs that just would not stop. I was wondering where the clouds and rain and cooler temps were as it was just ridiculous. I passed a vineyard and seriously thought about stopping. And the horse farms – riding a horse sounded so fun at this point! At the aid station I was already through 2.5 of my bottles so I asked if there was neutral water and thank G-d yes a guy came out handed me a small Poland bottle (open) and ran behind me and put another (closed) one in my jersey – totally awesome. No way could I have finished without that. I have already been passed by the women’s p1,2,3 field and the women’s 4s and as I get to second KOM the mens 4B field catches me. I really needed those extra gears and had to walk the very steep section but got back on my bike (as did one of the guys – he said my doing it pressured him – lol). I ran out of fluids with about 10 miles to go and was definitely feeling it. One of the Tarmac racing guys who I had played cat and mouse with rode up next to me and asked how I was re nutrition – told him out of fluids for about 5 miles – he hands me his bottle I take a big swig – he then says hand me your bottle – and he pours it half full which totally save my hiney. I realized I was bonking so I tried to get my stinger waffle open – it was like fort knox – I finally bit through and got some in and drank water and there was more climbing ugh. Finally I turn and see the 4k to go sign and I perk up. 2k – oh yeah I pick up the pace 1k woo hoo – Scuds said as I climbed to the finish I was smiling – heck yeah it was done!!!!!!!!

Goals for next year (yes I will do this again): NOT be injured, lose about 15 pounds, get climbing clinchers.

Post race

Last updated: 2011-08-08 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 137 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: