MultiSport Canada
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 37s
Overall Rank = 54/100
Age Group = Women 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

My objective this race was to complete, not to race, and get some series points, as the sprained wrist has not fully recovered from the crash at Gravenhurst.

Got up at 4:20. Hubby drove. Mcd muffin and coffee en route as usual. The local Mcd was closed for renos and ended up at another which was oh so slow. Took 20' but still arrived ~1hr before race time. First time that I did not pre-register for a race, but the lineup was surprisingly short even though this is the Ontario Oly Triathlon Championships and 2012 Worlds Qualifier (2 spots). Everything went smoothly and I had lots of time to register and rack my bike.
Event warmup:

None. Met Chris from BT @ swim start, sporting his U of Waterloo trisuit.
Swim
  • 35m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is wetsuit optional, unless you want to qualify for the 2 Worlds spots or in the Triple Race Challenge. Even though I don't plan to qualify, I opted to go w/o wetsuit just to see how I compare with others.

Since I was one of the last ones to register, my start was towards the end. I thought the swim went better than expected. I didn't feel cold and never panicked, as I sometimes do. Sighting was decent, although many people passed me. I was surprised to see how slow my time was when I got out. But I'm always happy to finish my weakest leg, and w/o wetsuit. Come to think of it, this is my 1st ever OWS w/o a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

No wetsuit means no fighting with wetsuit, i.e. fastest transition in a very long time.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 12s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.56 km/hr
Comments:

I took it easy on the bike as the sprained wrist has not fully recovered. Rode cautiously and sensibly, with the result that HR was ~5 beats slower than normal race pace. Wrist only hurt slightly when going over bumpy roads.

Course is quite hilly, with some technical turns and narrow country roads, quite scenic. Had to use the smallest gear a couple of times, saw some people walking up the hills. Was exchanging positions with this guy, (found out his name is Gabe) wearing a Bert/Ernie jersey a few times.

Quite fun. Negative split, 29kph going out, 30.5kph coming back.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Run
  • 56m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping to run sub 9. Garmin says I did, but not according to official results.

Started off sluggish, but went negative split. Probably should have eaten my gel on the bike instead of at the beginning of the run.
Post race
Event comments:

Great Multisport race as usual. They've got the time trial start down pat. Very well run race serving as the Ontario Olympic Distance Triathlon Championships and 2012 Worlds Qualifier.

The overall female winner, Elizabeth Primrose is a 50yr old, finishing 2:14! This means she not only beat all the 20 & 30sth, but elites that's half her age! Good thing she's racing as an elite, and not in my AG! Absolutely incredible to see somebody my age so freaking fast.

Another surprise is that I actually came 2nd in my AG. It didn't really register until I was talking to my hubby on our way home. I podium in both Ontario Triathlon Championships this yr - 3rd at the Ontario Sprint Triathlon Championships in Lemington, and now 2nd for the Ontario Olympic Triathlon Championships.

WHAT A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE! YAY!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 76/100
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: 2 counterclockwise loops on Lake Muskoka. Time trial, 5" apart.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:12 | 40 kms | 29.56 km/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 43/100
Avg HR = 145
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, hilly with rollers and many turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:55 | 06.21 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 51/100
Avg HR = 150
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-08 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Bracebridge Olympic Triathlon

2011-08-09 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3634973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bracebridge Olympic Triathlon

Its always tough to estimate swim times without a wetsuit, so it is possible that you were within an expected result. I usually add about 5-7 seconds per 100m to my time to convert between Non-wetsuit, and wetsuit in open water.

You had an amazing race considering it was a last minute decision!

Congrats on the qualifying!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bracebridge Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed