IronHeadrace Productions
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 45m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up, showered, downed an Ensure and two cups of coffee, 3 endurolytes and one Lava salts tablet
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 48m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I signed up for this race last week as more of a workout than an actual race. Once I saw the swim course, I was a little worried. That 1.2 miles just looks pretty far to me.

Since I wasn't racing, I just lined up at the back and took it easy. I practiced my kick rythm and just kept telling myself that I was almost done. My goggles fogged up at the last turn and had to ask kayakers if I was headed in the right direction.

I've never swum in waves before and parts of this swim were pretty wavy. I wondered if it would bother me, but it didn't, and I thought it was kinda fun.

In the end, I felt like I could have kept swimming if I needed to, but I was pretty happy that I was done.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

There was a bit of a hike from the swim exit to the timing mat, and I started to hurry, but then remembered that this is a workout for me, not a race. I really just assed around and enjoyed it.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 53m
  • 56 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike leg was ridiculous! At the first U-turn (early into the bike), I turned left to follow a couple of cyclists (who weren't even riding the course). When I had to stop and clip out for a red light, the light bulb went on. It was a two mile detour. I don't fault anybody other than me. I didn't know the course, and at the second loop I noticed that there were two U-turn signs up.

At that point, I had a good laugh and told myself that I was full on in bike tour mode. Stopped at the aid station at mile 21 to refill my aero bottle and then stopped at the rest stop to use the porta potty. I didn't really care how much time I took.

The headwinds were hellish but the tailwinds were fun. At about mile 52, I encountered the gust front of a rain storm. The winds were really swirly and I tried like hell to out-bike the oncoming sheets of rain. The rain finally won, and I really wished that I'd tried to bike a little harder during the bike leg.

A couple of times my back tire started to skid on me, and at that point, I just slowed way, way down. I was close enough to the finish to know I'd get there if I didn't do anything dumb.

This was my first ride in real rain and I'm glad I got the experience.

Lordy, if this were a race, I'd say just about everything. Know the course would rate pretty high on the list.

Other than that, even with the winds and rain, I really enjoyed being out on my bike.

Post race
Warm down:

Pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At this point, I'm pretty much racing to my ability. The aquabike really is a nice intro to the HIM distance.

Event comments:

I thought the volunteer support was excellent and there were lots of police controlling traffic. I felt very safe and well supported.

The only reason I didn't give this race a 5 is that I thought the bike course was a little *boring* in some stretches. I know you have to work with the roads you have around the body of water you're using, but a 5 ranking is the ultimate, no?

Overall, a good day.

Last updated: 2005-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 3/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise triangular course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:53:00 | 56 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two loop course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 8:46 PM

Elite Veteran
Subject: PrarieMan Long Course Aquabike

2005-09-11 8:51 PM
in reply to: #244349

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: PrarieMan Long Course Aquabike

GREAT job!  Nice detour   There was a turn I nearly missed twice because it wasn't well marked.  I think they could have had more people out pointing correct directions.  But it sounds like you had a fabulous day anyway!

Really sorry I didn't get to meet you   Couldn't find anyone before the start (except Aaron).  And I was pretty out of it at the end.

2005-09-11 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
WOW you had an adventure on the bike. I told you there would be some headwinds on the bike but little did I know they would be that bad. It was pretty rough heading into the wind. The non racing cyclists are a bit of a problem on this course because if they aren't leading people astray they are slowing them down. Great "training" day!
2005-09-11 9:38 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Great job!!  Proud of ya!  And speaking of being in "bike tour mode" this hapenned to me in my first tri (CapTexTri this May).  I was on the bike and having so much fun being in a triathlon for the first time, I forgot it was a race...I was just toodling along at 14-15 mph watching everyone fly past me....when I realized "oh crap, I'm supposed to be racing here."  It was a blast!
2005-09-11 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job in the race even with a training attitude.

Our second for BT aquabike report....cool!! I think it is an awesome way to build up to an 1/2 IM distance...now you know you can do the swim even with waves...and you can do the bike no problem even with a detour.

Thanks for sharing your race report....so next year are you in for the full 1/2 IM?

2005-09-11 11:27 PM

Elite Veteran
Wanted to add that I had two nephews doing this race (the reason I signed up to do the aquabike--a workout). One of them turned 21 today, and who ran over with a celebration beer? Jeep!!

How cool is that! I would have introduced myself, but dang, the guy is seriously good-looking enough to get one tongue-tied. Seriously. And I'm old enough to be his mother. Really. I know how to ask a guy for a beer--but not him--whole another league.

KathyG, probably like you, I'm just taking these things as they come. I'm not sure I'd seriously attempt a HIM until I really get an Oly down. My nephew and I have been on quite a few one day bike tours this summer in preparation for his HIM today. Last weekend, I thought about hanging around for 6-7 hours and thought I could get a workout in as well. Hence the "race."

Learned lots and had fun. I guess that is the real point of our endeavors.

2005-09-12 9:37 AM
in reply to: #244471

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrarieMan Long Course Aquabike Rss Feed