Ironhead Race Productions
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 10m 46s
Overall Rank = 140/235
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/43
Pre-race routine:

I have to give a slight background. For the past 2 weeks I have not really felt well. At first I thought it was allergies, then I thought it was a cold, and then I thought maybe I had a sinus infection. Long and short of it was I had no energy and didn't feel good for 2 weeks leading up to this race. Then, to make matters worse, Friday afternoon, after sitting in a meeting for an hour, I got up and my lower back felt a little stiff. It got worse Friday evening. By 3pm Saturday I was laying on my couach with a heating pad on my lower back and having my wife massage and stretch it every few minutes. None of this really helped. At 4 pm, I told my wife I was not even going to bother packing my gear because there was no way I could race. She convinced me to go ahead and pack it and just see what happens. Woke up this morning and my back felt much better. But I was thinking the advil I had taken right before bed might still be working. Got up at 4:30am and was on the road by 5:05. Ate breakfast on the way. Got my bike racked, timing chip, visited the facilities and set up transiion. Then headed down to check out the water. I saw Aaron(JeepFleeb) and introduced myself then waited for the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

Nothing really because I was not sure how my back was going to be. So I guess my warm up was actually popping some advil.
Swim
  • 40m 28s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought this swim was better than it actually was. I was expecting a max time of 38 minutes so I was surprised when I checked my watch when I got out of the water. Looking back I think part of the problem might have been my navigation. I was really off today. Just swimming all over creation. And I think my energy level was down.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more often maybe.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

When I came out of the water and started to run up the ramp I noticed my legs felt really weak. This made me quite nervous. I have never felt that coming out of the swim before so I took my time in T1. In these long events I always take my time in T1 because I scared of forgetting something. The back felt pretty good so I popped some enduralytes and headed out.

Maybe practice???
Bike
  • 3h 01m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. I started out trying to take it fairly easy to see how the back was going to react. To my amazement if never gave me any problems. A couple of times I wanted to push a little more but I remembered blowing up on the run at BSLT so I tried to pace myself. I admit it. I am not terribly fast on the bike. I was hoping for a better time on this course but the wind kind of mucked that up. The fact that my back made it through the bike at all was a win so everything else at this point was gravy.

Ride like Chris Legh at 26 freakin mph!
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

When I got off the bike my back had a slight twinge but when I got my bike racked and bent over to put my running shoes on I just held my ankles for a minute and gave it a good stretch. After that it felt fine. Same strategy in T2. Don't forget anything!

???
Run
  • 2h 23m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, nervous starting out for 2 reasons. How long can my back hold up and did I remedy my problems at BSLT. At BSLT I started cramping at mile 3 of the run and needless to say it was a long 10 miles from there. But this time I hydrating a little better, took enduralytes all day long, and didn't have to contend with those BSLT hills. Didn't cramp at all until about mile 11 or so. I got a couple of zingers but nothing that developed into full blown cramping. And my back did great. Started to get a little stiff about mile 9 or 10(that damn dam all runs together) but that is not really uncommon for me. It was about this time that I really started to lose any feeling of energy in my legs. They just felt like they had nothing left but I just tried to focus on keeping my feet moving. I got a little bit of a 2nd wind about mile 11 when you get close enough to hear the announcer, cheering, etc at the finish line.

The finish was uneventful. My wife and daughter did not come because my wife is 7 months pregnant and she just cannot handle sitting out in the hot sun chasing our 2 year old daughter all over the place for 6 plus hours.

Run like Chris Legh! 6 min/mile!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk and drink and jump in the lake. Called my wife to let her know I finished in 1 piece and to tell her she was right. As usual.

Also saw Aaron(JeepFleeb) and talked to him a for a couple of minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I want to say my back but the reality is, it wasn't even a factor. Now tomorrow might be a different story. I might be in traction tomorrow. But I can't used the back as an excuse. My legs probably weren't as fresh as I would have liked with being sick off and on the past 2 weeks. So it would have been nice to go into this race feeling 100%. 14 hours prior to the race I was seriously considering not even going. I told my wife I was not even goiong to pack my gear. But she convinced me to tough it out and it all worked out.

Event comments:

This is the third race I have done put on by Ironhead RP. Always aa organized, well run race. The never seem to get started on time but everything else is typically top notch.

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:28 | 1931 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/43
Overall: 88/235
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangular clockwise single loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:19 | 56 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/43
Overall: 133/235
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two loop course that consisted of two primary roads which ran north and south. The wind was pretty strong out of the south so for approximately half the race you were riding into it and half you had it at your back. The first pass going into the wind did not seem that bad but the wind picked up and it made for pretty tough sledding. But still flat and pretty fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:23:25 | 13.1 miles | 10m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/43
Overall: 149/235
Performance: Average
Course: True out and back. First three miles are nice and curvy taking you through some wooded areas next to the lake. Then at mile 3 HELL starts as you make the turn to run the dam. It is long. It is straight. And there aint a damn thing to look at except the long road ahead. You go 3.5 miles across and 3.5 miles back. At least it was flat(until just before the turn around) and overcast today. If the sun would have been really beating down it would have been alot worse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-11 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Prairie Man

2005-09-11 9:11 PM
in reply to: #244363

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Prairie Man

AWESOME job!  Way to pace yourself and bounce back from BSLT!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you

2005-09-11 9:33 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Way to gut it out...I am impressed by your "sticktoitiveness"!!  I can't wait until I have the fitness to conquer a 1/2 IM.  Great job!!
2005-09-11 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Great Job ghart2 - wasn't it a perfect day for this! There was some wind on part of the bike course, but hey it could have been >95 and sunny on that dam.
2005-09-11 10:49 PM

Elite Veteran
So YOU"RE the one who told me that ther would be a little wind. As in, boo hoo, a little wind!!!!

Well, truth be told, it didn't seem to affect you. I don't know what your goals were, but from where I sit, you had a great, great, great race.

Schedule yourself for a massage--you deserve it--and if not for this race, you need to condition yourself for all of the nighttime chores coming your way. So, congrats on two fronts.

And, yes, for the record, you mentioned headwinds when commenting on the bike course. I just didn't expect the headwinds I got. Yikes. No wonder you Texas folks clean our Louisiana clocks for breakfast.

Sounds like you had a great race. Congratulations!!!
2005-09-11 10:53 PM

Elite Veteran
So YOU"RE the one who told me that there would be a little wind. As in, boo hoo, a little wind!!!!

Well, truth be told, it didn't seem to affect you. I don't know what your goals were, but from where I sit, you had a great, great, great race.

Schedule yourself for a massage--you deserve it--and if not for this race, you need to condition yourself for all of the nighttime chores coming your way. So, congrats on two fronts.

And, yes, for the record, you mentioned headwinds when commenting on the bike course. I just didn't expect the headwinds I got. Yikes. No wonder you Texas folks clean our Louisiana clocks for breakfast.

2005-09-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: #244444

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
lynda - 2005-09-11 9:49 PM

So YOU"RE the one who told me that ther would be a little wind. As in, boo hoo, a little wind!!!!

Yeah, I expected some head winds but I was thinking nothing over 10 mph. I never anticipated 15-20 mph. But at least we had some tailwinds too!
2005-09-12 4:43 PM
in reply to: #244413

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
shornick - 2005-09-11 8:44 PM

Great Job ghart2 - wasn't it a perfect day for this! There was some wind on part of the bike course, but hey it could have been >95 and sunny on that dam.

It really was pretty good weather considering what it could have been. The wind was tough sledding going south but at least we had it with us going north. And the dam would have been brutal if it had not been overcast and breezy. The aid stations already looked like oasis in the dessert even with out the heat waves rising off the pavement.
2005-09-13 8:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prairie Man Rss Feed