Pflugerville, Texas
United States
City of Pflugerville, Jack and Adams Bicycles
Total Time = 1h 11m 39s
Overall Rank = 27/567
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/35
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Kevin's house in Pflugerville Sat night after being on my feet most of the day. Had a hard time falling asleep since his house was 86F! Cranked the AC down and tried to sleep. Still looking at the clock at 11:15.

In the morning, made oatmeal with PB and honey, packed up, and drove to the lake. Unloaded, found a spot in transition, caught up with some old friends, then waited for wife and kid to show up.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 00m
  • 547 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Strong wind out of the south made for white caps on the lake and a long ways into the wind to the turn-around buoy. Didn't feel like I really got into a groove until about the 300m mark. Drank a good bit of lake water so I was well-hydrated for the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I hadn't done a transition since October last year so I was happy to not forget my helmet!
What would you do differently?:

Would like to learn how to do a flying mount so I can get rolling faster. Fumbled around for a good 10 seconds or so as I stood still trying to get clipped in a rolling.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Winds only increased as the sand fell in the hourglass. South-bound portion of the bike was the hilly part of the course so I kept The V in the forefront of my thoughts. I paced it pretty hard into the wind and tried to recover when I finally got turned around for the flatter section with the wind. Managed a 22.4mph avg. according to my Garmin.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Helmet and shoes off, running shoes on, grab hat and race belt - and I'm off! Dropped my hat coming out of the TA but a friend;y spectator picked up up for me and returned it at the end of the race. Thanks!!
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't think the wind would affect my run too much but I was quickly proven wrong as I gutted it into the wind from the run-start. My legs felt like concrete blocks as the wind increased to Caddyshack proportions (minus the rain and lightning). A guy from my age group passed me about a mile into the run. I got on his heels and followed him about 10 seconds back for the rest of the run. About .75 mile from the finish, I tried to give it a little kick and started gaining ground but he glanced back, saw me, and upped his pace too. I didn't have much of anything left in the tank so I had to concede. I didn't think I was vying for a podium spot in my age group anyway so no big deal. Turns out we were racing for 2nd in our AG!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

No kick left for the run. Felt like I was pegged from the get-go. May ahve pushed it a bit too hard on the bike with the wind.

Event comments:

Unfortunately, the new timing chip technology used at the race had some issues so I only had an official total time. The splits and transitions are estimates based on my Garmin.

Last updated: 2011-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 547 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/567
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: