Cape Cod Irish Pub
70sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 48m 37s
Overall Rank = 506/967
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 48/111
Pre-race routine:

I incorrectly set the time on the alarm clock (pm vs am) so I woke up at 6am instead of 5am. Therefore, my planned run to get in the entirety of my scheduled miles was a fail. Additionally, my daughter was sick with a fever and wanted nothing to do with daddy. Barely got out of the house in time. Picked up a friend on the way to the race. Parking was a bit tricky but I squeezed in on a side street.
Event warmup:

Can you call jogging from where I parked to the race start and waiting in the porta-potty line, chatting a warm up?
Run
  • 48m 37s
  • 5.25 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to push myself hard enough to test my abilities but also be able to keep pace throughout the entire run. Pre-race I set my sights on a 10 min/mi pace because I tend to go out too fast and fizzle fast. I also haven't been running very fast in my training runs this last month. Whether it be heat, just general lethargy, or focusing on making the distance, I've been running slow.

I started in the back of the pack with my friend who has been running an 11 min/mi pace. She was nervous as she had never run 5 miles before in her life. As we got to the start line I look down to start my gps watch and it had shut off. Gah. There I was hovering over the line waiting for the watch to acquire the satelite so I could start my watch. With that little hiccup I was trapped in the back. I tried skirting around the edges but kept looking down at my watch trying to make sure I didn't go too fast. My first mi clocked in at 9:21. I felt good and decided to try to keep that pace and see what happened. Mi 2 clocked in at 9:17. I felt pretty good but it was humid. I used the water stations to pour water over my head, ran through sprinklers as much as possible to stay cool. Somewhere during mi 3 I felt a side cramp coming on. I tried breathing through it. My mind wandered to Suzy's (SSMinnow) recommendation on working on my mental toughness. Here I was not even 3 miles in and I was already looking forward to the end. I had to buck up big time. For some reason "Eye of the Tiger" came to mind and I sang the song in my head while intermittantly chatting with other racers, and in awe of a mom pushing her kid in a huge stroller who passed me and left me in her dust.

Just as I was beginning to wonder where the heck I was I could see the church where we turned onto the final stretch. I saw my friend's family there and they cheered me on. Saw lots of "go mom" signs and I thought of my own kids which gave me a big boost. 0.3 mi from the finish a teen started sprinting and I decided to join in. He fell behind but I gave it everything I had til the very end. After all... pain is temporary.

Last 3 miles clocked in at 9:21, 9:20, and 9:15. I am super happy with how I did. Big boost to my confidence going into my HIM.
What would you do differently?:

If I really cared, I'd check my gps watch before I actually cross the start line and start closer to the front but the focus was on fun and I had fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Hopped in line to grab myself the equivalent of my entry fee in beer.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great. Lots of families as the race benefits the Harwich fire fighters. I chose the youngest child at every water station to take water from them while saying a huge thank you.

Only thing I'd complain about is that they could have used more than ONE person at the tap. Really?

Last updated: 2011-08-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:37 | 05.25 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/111
Overall: 506/967
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling flats through some residential areas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-11 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: Irish Pub Road Race

2011-08-11 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3639781

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Irish Pub Road Race
This was such a great race for you!!!  Really proud of you for pushing aside those little devil voices and staying strong until the end.  This will serve you well at Timberman.  Looking forward to reading all about it!  Good job, Christina! 
2011-08-11 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3639781

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: Irish Pub Road Race

Great job!  Looking forward to seeing you go, go, go at your HIM.  Congratulations!

Awesome----->"Hopped in line to grab myself the equivalent of my entry fee in beer. "

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Irish Pub Road Race Rss Feed