Overcast
Total Time = 55m 41s
Overall Rank = 30/116
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, coffee, Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Got in the pool and swam about 350 yards and stretched and used the bathroom a couple of times. Ate a Gu about 15 minutes prior to the swim start.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were seeded by race numbers that were given to us by the swim times we registered with. I ended up passiing 2 people in the pool, tickled the toes of the guy in front of me and he wouldn't let me pass at the end of the pool?? Once I passed those 2 people I had an open lane in front of me and I was able to swim fast to the ladder. Good swim!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure the guy in front of me knows to get the *F* out of my way if I touch his feet!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I got to the race later than I should have, I guess. The bike racks were very close together and I had to take a place at the far end of my rack by the fence. Luckily since I was an early swimmer, there was hardly anyone out there and I was able to maneuver my bike out pretty quickly.

1/6 AG
24/116 OA

Get there earlier so I could get a place right at the end of the rack.
Bike
  • 29m 38s
  • 9.2 miles
  • 18.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I was glad I had ridden the course last week, because the chip seal on the roads sucked. I had a little bit of trouble clicking in at the mount line, but then took off and passed a couple of people right away. A few guys passed me (including the guy I passed on the swim, but that was it. I pushed this pretty hard, had no idea what my pace was because I did this race Garmin-less! I did well on the hills and felt like it was a good ride. After the last hill, I rode pretty easy with a fast cadence to get ready for the run.

I probably could have pushed a little harder, but didn't want to blow up on the run. Still need to work on general bike fitness and hills, but overall I was happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I got back to transition to discover my bike rack was laying on the ground! There were no bikes on it and I did not want to waste time trying to pick it up, so I just rested my bike against the fence and did my switcheroo and got out of dodge.

2/6 AG
41/116 OA

Nothing, I think I reacted as well as could be expected but it cost me some time, I'm sure.
Run
  • 16m 24s
  • 1.7 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was sooo hoping the run wouldn't suck this race. I kept up the mantra, "Do you wanna win, suck it up fat girl... NO WALKING!" I went with a very quick cadence, small steps the entire run and it worked. I was WAY pleased with this run!!! I did not feel like I was running that fast! Did not walk at all, but did have to stop for a couple of seconds to pull my shoelaces tight that I forgot to do in T2.

Nothing, I was ecstatic over this run! Felt like I left it all out there on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

None, got some water and snack goodies and talked to tri friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more bike work and run work. Overall I was really happy with this race.

Event comments:

I love, love, love this tri. It's small, it's a mile from home and maybe it's the time of year, but this is the 3rd year in a row I've gotten 1st AG! The shorter run, surely helped me. I got lots of compliments on the new tri suit too! The only negative comments would be that they don't mark the racer's age on their calves, so no way to know if people that are passing you, or you are passing are in your AG. There was a vicious, junk yard ugly ass dog straining and snarling on a wire zip line on the run... I was thankful he didn't get off that chain! And smelling the dumpsters behind HEB halfway thru the run was pretty nasty.

Oh, I would not recommend going to a dinner party with super-rich food and not getting to bed till 11:00 pm the night before a race. I still felt full this morning, so had some tummy issues, that thankfully went away.

Last updated: 2011-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 450 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 13/116
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 pc. Tri Suit
Course: Snake pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:29:38 | 9.2 miles | 18.63 mile/hr
Overall: 28/116
Wind: Little
Course: A big loop, with some overlap. Crappy chip sealed roads and incoming and outgoing bikes crossed at one point. A couple of good hills!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:24 | 01.7 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Overall: 68/116
Course: Fairly flat loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-14 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Temple Triathlon

2011-08-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3642856

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Temple Triathlon

Great race report! You are such an amazing athlete! Congrats on your continuing streak of 1st in your AG!! And I also love that new tri suit. Green is my favorite color.  

Oh and maybe I should try your little mantra during my run. I chuckled to myself when I read that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Temple Triathlon Rss Feed