United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 59s
Overall Rank = 323/420
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 33/41
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get to sleep till around midnight and had to be up at 4. I was a little antsy, this being my first Olympic distance. Bagel & peanut butter about 2 hours before race and then a power bar about a half hour before.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water to get acclimated. Did a little stretching and talked with friends. Found my family in the crowd before the start. It was great having them there.
Swim
  • 18m 35s
  • 1440 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I can never seem to get the breathing right and end up doing 90% of the swim with my head out of the water. The rest of me felt great.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my breathing. I have to relax a little more and get into a breathing rhythm. I always do great in the pool, but open water is a different animal.
Transition 1
  • 04m 44s
Comments:

This was way too long. Took too much time trying to get my gloves on. Just seemed like there was too much to do.

Physically practice this transition instead of just going over it in my head.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 46s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt like I went faster than what my average MPH was. I was passing a lot of people so to see that time was kind of disappointing. I wonder if the actual course was a little longer that 25 miles. That would make me feel a little better.

Keep plugging away at the bike, strengthen up the legs and burn it up next year.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

It's always annoying when you have to stop in the porta potty to pee. Tack on another 30 seconds for that. argh. Other than that this transition was ok.

pee faster.
Run
  • 1h 03m 6s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great on the run and really thought I had a better pace going. I guess those hills really slow you down. The end was great. About a quarter mile from the finish you could hear the crowd and during the last stretch I could hear my family and friends cheering me on. What a great feeling. It's a real fulfilling thing to think that a goal you set 8 months and 40 pounds ago, and worked so hard to get to, finally came to fruition. And I felt really good after it was done. My dad came running to me after I came out of the shute and said "how do you feel!?" I really didn't have any words.

I'd like to improve my running pace. It's a nice goal to work on over the winter months. Now that I know I can do this, I'd like to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of hugs and a lot of picture taking. We went out and got pancakes afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed at my ability level. I didn't exceed my expectations and yet I was not completely disapointed.

Event comments:

I've heard several things about this race being un-orgainzed in previous years but it seemed like it went pretty well this year. Except for the swim distance debacle. Trying to pick up the race packet the night before wasn't that great either. We got there at about 6 and there was about an hour wait so we went to dinner, came back at 8:30 and still waiting a while to get in. My friends and I have already decided to do this again next year. Such a scenic course. Sorry I missed my fellow BT'ers. I had family and friends there so I didn't get a chance to meet any of you. Nuts. One of these days.

Last updated: 2005-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:35 | 1440 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/420
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: This course could not have been .9 miles. I heard after the race that they set up the bouys in the wrong place and it was actually about .5 miles. ooooops. For a while I just thought I was a machine in the water. Not so. It was pretty average for me.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:27:46 | 25 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Most of the course was beautiful. There were some challenging hills too. It was nice when the sprint distance and Oly distance seperated into different courses. It made for a much less crowded course and I enjoyed the back country roads. I didn't really like how we all merged again just in time to ride on the side of a busy road where cars are constantly trying to get by you while you are trying to get by other bikers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:06 | 06.2 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Holy hills. I ran part of this course last month so I knew what to expect. There was no way I was going to walk up the hills. Just a personal challenge to myself. I would say 80% of the people I saw were walking up those monsters and I don't blame em. The rest of the course was a joy. The scenery was beautiful and all the trees really kept it pretty cool.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathalon

2005-09-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: #244790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathalon
Congrats on completing this course. It sure is tough with all the hills and is challenging physically. Nice to hear that your family was able to enjoy your finish with you. Good luck with your events for the rest of the year and next year.
2005-09-12 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

We were really sorry to have missed you too but glad you enjoyed the race.  OH...and yes I'm quite sure the bike was longer than it was supposed to be...my bike computer said I was faster too

Great race and great job hanging in there to complete your goals...it only gets better

2005-09-12 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
Congrats on finishing your first Olympic. Interesting note in your report about the swim. I had not heard any estimate of how long the swim course was in reality but 0.5 miles seems very plausible to me given the fact that my swim was about half the time I expected. I had a great time there too but that is a pretty big screw up on their part.

I had about 26 miles on my computer as did a friend of mine. A guy next to me had 27.5 and another friend had 25.3. So I'm not sure the exact distance but you can be confident it was more than 25 miles.

Congrats again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathalon Rss Feed