D3 Multisport
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 42s
Overall Rank = 12/17
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sit in traffic. Sit in traffic. Sit in traffic. Rush around and get registered, changed, and into my wetsuit. Way too stressed out to be ready to race. Next time I'll get there earlier.
Event warmup:

Little bit of stretching. Very short swim to get ready and clear the goggles.
Swim
  • 24m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good swim. I realized afterward that the mile swim was my longest ever competitive non-stop event, so that's pretty cool. It was a little tedious though, and without that many people in the water, I kind of just felt like I was out there slogging away. My mind was wandering on all kinds of weird topics, and it was hard to focus on the race and go fast.

Overall, I thought my pacing was decent. I was tired when I got out of the water, but not dead. The new wetsuit fit well, and my goggles didn't fog. So, a good swim and a great training event.
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft off the front pack a little. There was a group of maybe 5 or 6 swimmers that got out ahead pretty early, and I missed an opportunity at the buoy to try and tuck in with them and draft. I doubt that I could have stayed with them for the whole swim, but it would have been good to hang with them for a while and see what that pace felt like. After the first buoy, I just couldn't catch up to them.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Slow transition. I just didn't move that fast. I guess my mentality was more about training than racing, so I wanted to work hard on the swim and run, but not rush through transition. So it took me a while to get my wetsuit off, then I put on socks for the run, and just generally lollygagged through it.

Nothing, I wasn't trying to set a PR on the transition.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice trail course over some small hills. I felt like I was flying down and grunting up the hills, but they weren't as bad as they looked. I ran "race pace" and probably went a bit too hard for a training event a few days before a triathlon. My knee felt good though, and no problems with the ankle, so that is encouraging.

Nothing, actually. I felt good and settle in early. I ran relaxed and felt "pleasantly uncomfortable" for most of the race. Then I kicked it hard at the end, and tried to catch the guy in front of me. I didn't get him, but it was close. Thought I might have PR'd on the run, but I went slightly slower than the Rattlesnake.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching. Eating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

I'll do this whole series next year. It's a great primer for longer swim races, and a good way to break up training.

Last updated: 2005-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:46 | 1500 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/17
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Elongated triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average