United States
CGI Racing
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 44m 43s
Overall Rank = 237/290
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0415hrs. Took a look outside and didnt see any rain but knew it was coming. Weather was predicting thunderstorms all day. Had a PB on wheat, banana and 20oz water. Got my gear together and left for the event with a friend who was spectating. On the way to the race it started to storm with lightning. Got to race site and nobody knew what was going on because of the weather. Stood around with members of my club until 0730hrs when they announced race would start at 0805hrs.
Event warmup:

tried to stay dry while setting up transition, hung out with members from my club. walked around alot and took a Gu 15min before swim start
Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim started by all of us jumping off a pier into the North East River and treading water for a few minutes before the race started. Water temp was warm and I felt great despite it raining. Race started and I immediately got a good draft behind someone my pace. My sighting was working and breathing felt comfortable. I got to the end of the swim and looked at my watch and saw 16:17 and was like OMG that was a much better swim than I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt that I had a great swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

T1 time was alot slower than usually but I attribute it to the weather. When I got into T1 it was still raining and the transition area was soaked. It took some time to dry my feet off and slip my shirt on.

Not much I could do about the weather and I feel that if it was dry, I would have had a much faster T1
Bike
  • 48m
  • 11 miles
  • 13.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out of T1 and onto my bike, clipped in and started the bike portion. Because of the rain and the road conditions, the RD had to change the bike course to an 11mile out and back on RT272. I was definately not prepared for the hills because that course was all hills. Basically, it was up a large hill then back down and repeat that for 11 miles. I took a Gu at about the halfway point which helped. I am a Clyde and long, steep hills are just not my thing. I was gased during the bike and was only averaging only 6-10mph on the up hills but I loved going down them and got up to 31mph. I notice alot of gravel and debris on the road which I contributed to the storm and must have passed 10 people who had gotten flats. Luckily, I did not get one. Biked back through town and saw some friends before entering T2.

Hills, Hills and more Hills!!! I would practice those. This course did not play to my strengths at all and I had a hard time with the bike and it hurt me in my run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Got into T2 fine, racked bike and took shoes off. Started to rain again when entering T2 and I was trying to dry my feet off to put shoes and socks on for the run.

Not much. It would have been better with better weather.
Run
  • 34m 14s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Leaving T2 was like running in water so my shoes and socks were completely soaking wet before the run even started. Run went along RT272 and back into the North East Park for the finish. I felt that the road was a little slanted which hindered my run. I could feel my knee hurting during the run portion so I slowed my pace a little. 2 water stops (.5mile and 1.5mile mark) with ice cold water and Heed. Great volunteers along the run course. I have to thank all of them for being out in the worst weather ever, wearing ponchos and handing out drinks and providing motivation.

Run hills more, this was just like the bike course so it was flat for about 1/2 mile then down a hill, up a hill, down a hill, up a hill, etc. Just train more for hills
Post race
Warm down:

ran through the finish line and got a cold bottle of water and chip timer removed. I like how when you crossed the finish line the RD was there to announce your name. Of course it was pouring down rain so I walked around in the rain and met up with other club members. Got my stuff out of transition and put it in the car and then stayed around to watch some of our club members win their AG awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills and lack of training for this course. I had a great swim, T1&T2 times were ok based on the weather but the bike and run killed me. If I do the course again, I know what I will have to train for.

Event comments:

I would like to thank the RD for all of his hard work with this event. He was dealt a real bad hand with the weather but did everything he could to make sure we did a Triathlon and he pulled it off. After finishing the race, I Went over to the food tent and was really dissapointed. They had PB sandwiches, bananas and pizza with no cheese. I didnt want to eat what I had for breakfast again and who makes and serves pizza with no cheese?? Also, nothing to drink besides water, I would have like atleast a gatorade or something. Also, I was pretty dissapointed with our swag bags. I was told we get a shirt and water bottle with our bags but my bag only had a shirt in it. I paid more for this race then any other race I have ever been in and I am not sure what I got for my money. I have paid alot less for other races and come away with alot more. I enjoyed the race but I think it was over priced and you did not get enough for your money. Good experience but I dont think I will ever do one of their races again.

Last updated: 2011-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:59 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 103/290
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: in water start. Out and two right turns then back to shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:00 | 11 miles | 13.75 mile/hr
Overall: 251/290
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: out and back on RT272 with unrelenting rollers.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:14 | 03.2 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 253/290
Performance: Average
Course: out and back along RT 272, same as bike course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: North East Triathlon

2011-08-15 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3644322

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: North East Triathlon
Good work on the race. Sounds like this one had 3 swim legs.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North East Triathlon Rss Feed