United States
USAT
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 41s
Overall Rank = 40/455
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, showered, relaxed and watched tv. Then headed out to get a good parking spot and a good spot in the Transition area. Found a good spot right near the Bike Exit. This is always good, because I know where my bike is and I don't have to run my bike very far in my bike shoes. Then sat for 4 hours. The swim was way behind (~1 hour) Had a bagel and kept hydrated with water. Didn't eat much as my stomach doesn't like food for several hours before an event and in a sprint I can get away with that. Also had a banana (potassium).
Event warmup:

Walked around and lightly streched, but try not to put forth much energy. Just prior to the swim, got in the water to acclimate to the Temperature and loosen shoulders. Really didn't swim as much as just moved about in the water.
Swim
  • 10m 41s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was to be in the 9:00 minute wave. Everyone in my group said they would do slightly below 9:00. No one would let people pass, so the time was awful. I could have done 9:00 - 05 easily. Grrrr. (I was the fifth swimmer in my group.

The good thing is that I was a fresh as could be coming out of the water. I passed all 4 of the people who shared my lane on the way to the transition area, and they never saw me again.
What would you do differently?:

I would either just pass people pushing them out of the way or start first and not worry if they needed to pass...
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

It was a long way to the first transition area. I did pass all the people from my lane in the swim... Sweet Revenge. Put on Socks, Shoes, Jersey, Hat, Helmet. Down Gel and Drink (Gotta Stay Hydrated!!!) Out I go.

My first Transition is usually pretty slow. This is a lot quicker than last year, but could still speed up. 3rd Tri and still learning the routine. Tempted to try geting into shoes as I ride away. Took a little bit of time to put on shoes to run from swim to transition area. Would like to try without shoes (Don't know if my ankles/feet would take it well).
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Cruised through the bike. Started out feeling good, and on the initial straight away, saw I was going 32-35 mph. Had to slow down so I would have something left.

It would be good to ride the course a couple of times to really know the places to attack.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

take off helmet, take off shoes, catch breath, grab gel (put in pocket), drink water, take off running while putting on race belt.

This was a great transition. I might try getting out of shoes prior to dismounting. This is a step for later.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was great, I even could feel my speed at one point. I was tired, and would have had a hard time going faster, but didn't hurt like I usually do.

Only thing I can is push harder and train more for the run. Overall, I've never run like this in a tri, and only twice have I run a 5k this fast, so I can't complain...
Post race
Warm down:

Collapse... Drink some gatorade and walk around... That's about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim!!!!

Event comments:

Last year the swim was ahead of schedule, this year it was behind. What are you gonna do.

Last updated: 2005-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:41 | 500 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/51
Overall: 60/455
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: 5 people per lane 25 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:15 | 12 miles | 22.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/51
Overall: 23/455
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty hilly course, but not difficult.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:41 | 03.2 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/51
Overall: 68/455
Course: Flat as a board
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-12 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Fall Frenzy

2005-09-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: #245047

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy
Great race!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you!  I have done that race for 4 years and still love it!
2005-09-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: #245047

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy
As you can see, other than the swim (and delay of the swim), it was a great day...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Rss Feed