General Discussion Triathlon Talk » headsweats visor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3656979

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: headsweats visor

tophermcdougall - 2011-08-24 10:38 AM Sweatvac visors work just as well. I've used both. I also use a Halo headband. 

yeah any feedback as to which you like better? I have Halo headbands for biking but ran in mine for the duathlon last saturday.

2011-08-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3651951

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I have a sweatvac hat that I received from a triathlon and a headsweats visor that I purchased from Road-Id.  I prefer the sweatvac over the headsweats.  For me, the sweatvac pulls all of the sweat from my forehead and none of it runs down.  The headsweats is ok, but I still have to take it off every once and a while and wipe my brow of sweat.

I have not located a sweatvac visor or I would purchase one.

2011-08-24 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3651951

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance/Carson
I prefer the Halo headband since it's real simple and I can stick it in a pocket, but lately I've been running in visors because of sun. Like I said they all work fairly well. You really can't go wrong with any of them. 
2011-08-25 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3652852

User image

Master
University Park, MD
colinphillips - 2011-08-21 7:59 PM
NewClydesdale - 2011-08-21 7:29 PM I have 2 of the Halo's and while I like them I am pretty regularly over flowing them.  After a few miles I'm litterally taking them off and ringing them out every half mile.

How does the headsweats compare to the Halo?

Too early to tell, I'm afraid. The true test of sweat absorption is a long interval session on the bike trainer. I'll feel a bit dumb wearing a visor on an indoor ride. But since looking dorky is one of the things we do best, I'll do the test and report back.

Ok, so I went ahead and did the test, as promised: Headsweats visor on a hard bike trainer workout, i.e., sweat city.

Verdict: the visor is pretty good, but I wouldn't wear it for that kind of workout again. When sweating alone is the issue, I'd go for my Halo headbands (haven't tried Sweatevac, I'm afraid). It does at least as well as the visor, and it doesn't impede evaporative airflow to the head. The visor partly blocks the breeze, so you lose some of the cooling effect. On a sunny day, however, I think it would be a toss-up between the visor alone vs. a combination of Halo headband plus Headsweats cap.

Oh, and the visor also turns out to be useful for night running on dark trails. A headlamp is more comfortable when worn over the visor.

2011-08-25 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3660120

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
colinphillips - 2011-08-25 11:28 PM

Oh, and the visor also turns out to be useful for night running on dark trails. A headlamp is more comfortable when worn over the visor.

The visor is also good for night running on the roads.  The bill can be used to block the lights from [not very nice adjective omitted] drivers who feel the need to run their brights in my neighborhood.

2011-08-25 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3660120

User image

Master
Houston
colinphillips - 2011-08-25 10:28 PM
colinphillips - 2011-08-21 7:59 PM
NewClydesdale - 2011-08-21 7:29 PM I have 2 of the Halo's and while I like them I am pretty regularly over flowing them.  After a few miles I'm litterally taking them off and ringing them out every half mile.

How does the headsweats compare to the Halo?

Too early to tell, I'm afraid. The true test of sweat absorption is a long interval session on the bike trainer. I'll feel a bit dumb wearing a visor on an indoor ride. But since looking dorky is one of the things we do best, I'll do the test and report back.

Ok, so I went ahead and did the test, as promised: Headsweats visor on a hard bike trainer workout, i.e., sweat city.

Verdict: the visor is pretty good, but I wouldn't wear it for that kind of workout again. When sweating alone is the issue, I'd go for my Halo headbands (haven't tried Sweatevac, I'm afraid). It does at least as well as the visor, and it doesn't impede evaporative airflow to the head. The visor partly blocks the breeze, so you lose some of the cooling effect. On a sunny day, however, I think it would be a toss-up between the visor alone vs. a combination of Halo headband plus Headsweats cap.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I guess i'll stay with my Halos for now and consider the others if I run across them on clearance etc.

I always think the Halo isn't helping...then I take it off for 5 minutes and realize it is helping, it just isn't perfect.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » headsweats visor Rss Feed  

of 2