General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orillia, Ontario
Canada
World Endurance Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 32s
Overall Rank = 37/528
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a couple of slices of raisin bread and headed down to the race site. It's great when you can ride your bike 5min to the transition area.
Event warmup:

Managed to forget my sunglasses so I rode back to the inlaws house and picked them up. Other than that, I just swam for a few minutes before the gun went off.
Swim
  • 15m 8s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

Was feeling a lot of nerves before the start of the swim, and I'm not sure why. They started in the morning and wouldn't go away. Once the horn sounded then I was fine, but standing around just made me anxious.

I started at the front of the water this time and pushed hard for the first 2min or so, because I always seem to get trampled if I start in the middle of the pack. This worked well after a minute or two had pretty clear water. I was actually swimming to the right of the main pack but I think I had a better line to the first buoy.

Never had any issues with getting caught up with other swimmers, and when catching slower people in the earlier waves I got around them without incident. My one issue is that my swim stroke gets lazy when wearing a wetsuit. I don't kick enough, and focus on just swimming with my arms. Need to work on that more.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I continue to swim at this pace in the races, but I felt good for this swim and am happy finishing 12th. That said, I continue to give away far too much time in the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Had the wetuit, cpas and goggles off before getting into transition, but my suit got stuck on my timing chip and I struggled to get it off my left leg + the strap on the timing chip got mesed up and I had to fight to get it back in place.

9th AG in T1

Just need to be faster - giving away more time here.
Bike
  • 58m 41s
  • 33.6 kms
  • 34.35 km/hr
Comments:

So this year I raced naked on the bike - meaning I had no data. For some unknown reason my powertap died the day before and the head unit won't pick up the transmission from the hub. I wasn't planning on wearing my HR strap so I saw no point in putting the Garmin on my wrist just to get speed data.

Felt good on the bike, and passed a number of people in earlier waves. Also got passed by some strong cyclists, and they make it look easy (even though I know they are putting out a solid effort). Got chicked around the 15km mark and decided that I was going to try and hold her pace for the remainder of the ride. She then passed about 3 other guys who decided to then hang on her wheel while I sat back about 100M. I could only laugh when an official on a motorcycle rode up on them and sat there watching for a few minutes. Stats sheet showed that 4 people who finished around my final time all had 2min penalties - little bit of justice.

What I really noticed on this ride was that on the short, quick, steep inclines (less than 300M) I get left behind. People power away and I don't have the same kind of acceleration, or ability to recover quickly. With about 6km to go I lost my pacer girl as she and her draft pack left me behind after a hill. I didn't see her again until the run.

Work on building some climbing strength for shorter hills. Long and gradual works well for me - short, steep, quick, not so much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Much better transition in T2 and everything went smoothly.

Tied for 4th in AG in T2.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 34s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 05s  min/km
Comments:

I put in a solid run and was happy with the result. First km my stomach was not feeling good and I was in some pain. Luckily this cleared up and I was good to go for the remaining 6km. I did wear the garmin for the run and my pace picked up after every km, finally dropping to a 3:57 pace in the final km.

This was deja-vu with last year as I saw my training partner at the turn around point on the run, and I was about 40sec back. I just couldn't close down the gap. With about 2.5km to go I got passed for the only time on the run by a 20 year duathlete - I asked him to try and pace me up to my buddy, but when he increased his pace I just couldn't go with him. I was maxed out, but I appreciated his effort.

Nothing really. Some more running time over the off season and hopefully I'll be a sub 4 min pace for 2012, just in time to move up to the 40-44AG.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Tried to strecth a bit, but mostly walked around with the family and a couple of friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Half Iron training has obviously helped me race a shorter distance well, and I'm happy with the performance for this race.

Event comments:

Always like this race, and since I can stay at the inlaws I treat it as though it's local to me. Good venue and lots of fun.

Last updated: 2011-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:08 | 750 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 12/50
Overall: 125/528
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Rectangular course, swim clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:41 | 33.6 kms | 34.35 km/hr
Age Group: 9/50
Overall: 58/528
Performance: Good
No Data
Wind: Little
Course: Course was an extra 1.4km this year because of some road construction.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:34 | 07 kms | 04m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 6/50
Overall: 44/528
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, mostly flat, with some small inclines and declines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-08-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3653674

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-23 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3653674

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course
Solid racing Neil!
2011-08-23 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3655356

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course
Good job Neil-especially solid on the bike and the run.  I'm there with you on the swim...just have to get through it to get to the bike.  Hope you get the PT issues resolved.

Randy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed