General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m
Overall Rank = 141/196
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 4:30am, ate cereal then gathered family for 1.5hr trip to race site. Hammer gel shortly before race start. Pre-viewed the course and amde sure I knew what direction to go in!
Event warmup:

Easy 2 mile bike followed by 1/2 mile swim 1 hour before race start. 25m prior to race swam roughly 200m to get feel of water and loosen up shoulders!
Swim
  • 29m 27s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was ok, still having trouble making it through the entire course without stopping. Made it to roughly 1/2 way mark this time before gasping for air. Trouble getting my heart rate back in line to finish the swim, just couldn't catch my breath! Timing pad was probably 300m from the water's edge, without that distance my swim time would be closer to the target time.
What would you do differently?:

Pushed past the air issue and try and relax more, 1st part of the swim I was relaxed, 2nd part of the swim I became stress, mostly due to running into other swimmers and not being ablet o maintain a normal rythem.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

1st transition start was a long distance from water, had to run roughly 300m up a steep hill to get to the Transition area. Running up this hill took more energy than the entire swim!!
Good transition not a whole lot of issues, Equipment is still at a minimum so not much to do.
Bike
  • 43m 13s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall bike was pretty good, set plan of taking the 1st 6.5 miles with an easy gear to make it to the top of the turn. Then coming back drop into the big boy gears and push for home. Followed closely to this and worked out well. Max speed shows as 25.2mph, slow speed was 13.5! I need to get the low speed higher.

Probably could have pushed a little harder =, but considering the 18mph+ pace is my fastest for the race I can not complain
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

good transition other than the person in front of me causing a bit of a traffic jam, At the dismount part the course was narrowed down to barely one rider width. The person in front of me basically decides to come to complete stop get off check his shoes and then stroll to the transition area.

Nothing
Run
  • 28m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Run wasn't bad, ran the entire length without much issues. Coming back really stressed me especially the last section coming up the back side of the levy, this was a lot of effort. Finished the run at a dead sprint for the last 400m.

I think I could of pushed pace a little bit more, really do not believe I came to the breaking point. Best though would of only been by about 20-30s quicker on each mile. Overall pretty good!!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a coke and ate a lot of watermelon. Walked roughly 1/2 mile for cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No limits other than the amount of training so far, Need to put on more endurance into swim to quicken the times and make it to the end!!

Event comments:

Good race, swim slowed me down. Setting my expectations high but just don't have the lung capacity yet to meet them. I will not lower them though.

Last updated: 2011-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:27 | 1094 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 161/196
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Rectangle course clockwise, easy to follow
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:13 | 13.05 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 112/196
Performance: Good
18% of time in Zone 3, 78% of time in Zone 4 Min HR: 124 Avg HR: 155 Max HR: 168
Wind: Little
Course: Course was an out back, going out was mostly up hill. Coming back was slightly rolling but mostly down hill and made for quicker speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:35 | 03.11 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 128/196
Performance: Average
94% of run was spent in zone 4 on HR% Min HR: 143 Avg HR: 160 Max HR: 174
Course: Course followed a paved bike trail along the park levy. The run going out seemed to mostly down hill as the trail went down the levy. The return trip was mostly uphill and caused a lot of concern in the calf muscles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-22 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3654626

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon
Awesome job. Nice talking to you before the race.
2011-08-23 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Nice race report! Keep those expectations high, you'll get there!
2011-08-23 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

"Setting my expectations high but just don't have the lung capacity yet to meet them. I will not lower them though."

Very nice perspective!  I like your way of thinking!

This looks like a very well put together race.  Sure the swim could use some improvement but given your relative newness to the sport I think you're doing really well.  As you learn to use the Garmin 305 and apply the HR zones to your training and racing you'll see huge improvements.

I think you had an awesome race!  Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed