Orange County Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 36s
Overall Rank = 90/120
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

This is the first year for this race, and it is only a half hour from home which is very pleasant. My usual shake about 2 hours before.
Event warmup:

The swim is point to point, so about a mile walk from transition. Jogged a little as well. We weren't able to get in the water beforehand.
Swim
  • 33m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I have a race in a couple of weeks where I won't be able to wear a wetsuit, I decided to swim without one since it would be my only chance for a good OWS practice in only tri shorts and jersey. The water was pretty warm anyway, and felt very comfortable.

The Hudson is an unusual river with no steady downstream current since it is technically a fjord. The current changes with the tide and winds, and it really felt like there was no current at all. About halfway through it got very choppy, and it started to get harder to swim. I was 4 or 5 minutes slower than my usual Oly swim , but I'm not sure if it was because of the chop, any current or no wetsuit. Probably a combination.

Started to feel a little seasick towards the end from all the bouncing around.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a wetsuit, probably sleeveless because the water was fairly warm.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Still felt a little seasick so I took a little extra time to catch my breath. Still way too slow.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.79 mile/hr
Comments:

This turned out to be a pretty challenging bike course with a lot of climbing, mostly in the first half. I'm not sure why, but it seemed to take me a while to get into a groove. Got passed by a few people in the first few miles, which I didn't like, but I also passed a few.

The traffic control on the course was excellent with plenty of police and volunteers which I really appreciated. Mostly left turns, and a couple of major intersections, but they really did a great job. Thanks, everyone!

The last few miles were mostly downhill, I felt good, and I was moving along pretty quickly, but near the end I ran into a little trouble. I had driven the last couple of miles of the bike course to get to the race site, and about a mile from the finish there was a steep descent with cobblestones for the last couple of hundred feet followed by a sharp left turn. I knew that would be a spot that I would have to take carefully, but apparently I didn't slow down enough. Hit the cobblestones, felt a really big bump, heard a bang, and skidded to a stop with a flat rear tire while somehow managing to stay upright. There was a big hole in my tire, so I knew if I just replaced the tube that I would just flat again. I didn't have a dollar bill to use for a makeshift patch, so I considered heading down to the intersection to try to borrow a buck from the police officer directing traffic, but then I saw an empty wrapper by the curb, and managed to patch the tire with that.

Got back to T2 without further incident. The actual moving time from my Garmin was 1:27:15 for an average of 17.15 MPH. Should have taken less time to change the flat, but the makeshift patch took a while.

Push myself harder at the beginning. Slow down for the cobblestones more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I was a little flustered and aggravated, but this was way too slow. C'mon, man!!

Move faster.
Run
  • 58m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty hilly run. I was a little discouraged at the beginning following my bike difficulties, but I figured it was time to forget it and try to have a good run. I felt crampy in my back and legs from messing around on the ground with my tire, but that went away after a mile or so.

Tried to keep up my pace by passing people. I remember passing at least one and maybe two people in my AG, which turned out to be a good thing, since I finished 3rd in my AG.

Could have ran the hills a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and packed up. Couldn't stay long because we were going to a party for my wife's cousin. Wasn't able to stay for the awards, but never in a million years thought I would have placed in my AG since I am slow and had a flat.

What really hurt was that I missed the post race food which was provided by a BBQ restaurant. There is hardly ever any meat after races,and I do love to eat lots of meat, especially BBQ'ed

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't train enough. I'm slow. Flat tire.

Event comments:

Great race! Well organized, especially for an inaugural event, lots of wonderful volunteers, interesting and challenging course, and great post race. I am looking forward to making this an annual event.

Last updated: 2011-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:13 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 94/120
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Point to point along the shore in the Hudson River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:40:47 | 24.85 miles | 14.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 99/120
Wind:
Course: Big loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:42 | 06.21 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 73/120
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly out and back, but with part of the back on a different road. Hilly
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-25 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Orange County Triathlon

2011-08-26 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3659986

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: Orange County Triathlon

Way to perservere Anthony after the flat. I changed my rear tire last night and it took me forever! I pray I never get one in a race. Sounds like a great event (especially post race)! I have a similar nearby tri that is participant friendly and it makes a huge difference in the overall experience.

Good luck with your continued training for your Sept race.

2011-08-26 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Tough luck with the tire problem Anthony, but you made the best of it and had a good race if you take out the down time from the tire!  I know that SOS is your focus race coming up so you got a good oportunity for a OWS sans wetsuit to prepare for that!

BTW, swimming in the Hudson you didn't see any sign of Hoffa did you?
2011-08-26 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I still can't get over that tire! That is crazy! I also can't imagine swimming in the Hudson. Good job with a hard race!
2011-08-27 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Not bad Anthony considering you had tire troubles..Way to hang tough...
2011-09-09 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Congrats on a strong race. I've heard that the swim was a killer.  You never know what you'll get from one day to another with the Hudson. 

I get over there on some weekend rides and even where that area (river road and surrounding) is paved, it is rough. Tough run of luck on the tire, but way to improvise.  If you do it again, I'll see you out there next year!

2011-09-09 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
How did I miss this one?  Great job Anthony!  Way to keep your cool during/after the flat!  I would have never known how to fix it with a wrapper!  McGyver the Dentist!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orange County Triathlon Rss Feed