Firm Racing
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 30s
Overall Rank = 6/145
Age Group = 30-24
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Todays Race, DKH Sprint Tri, was it's first year having the event. Hurricane Irene is on it's way. The original date was scheduled for tomorrow 8/28, but thankfully, FIRM Racing did a great job getting it switched to today to avoid the bad weather. I was happy about that as this was a hometown event, and my "A" race this year for that fact alone. I am sure I would have picked a bigger race to be my "A" race, but this is my first year in Tri. Woke up at 5:00 am. Everything was already loaded. Powerbar Energy, Banana and glass of water, and off to the event.
Event warmup:

Registered, set up tranistion, and chatted with plenty of people I knew. This was a grassy transition area, so it was slightly damp, but nothing to worry about. One rack over, a guy actually brought a 4' x 8' blanket, laid it out under the rack, and placed his bike and everything else on top of it. I hope someone said something to him. It took up about 2 spaces on each side of him. Ran 1 mile on the run course, got the body glide and wetsuit on after that, and hopped in the water for about 300 yards, really trying to focus on my breathing.
Swim
  • 12m 44s
  • 700 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started at the front this time, not wanting to get stuck in the middle and pushed around like Niantic Bay. This obviously was a much smaller event, so I really wanted to take off and get ahead of the MOP. That actually worked well, because I only got pushed once. Again, smaller race which helps. I was surprised to see I was actually 8th out of the water. My swim time is not all that fast, but I was still happy to be ahead a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Just more swim time. I have not spent nearly enough on it. Winter plans include that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

From the beach to transition was a little lengthy. Dropped googles as I was running towards it, but never stopped. Someone chased me down with them and yelled for me, so I just put my hand back like I was on a Track Relay team. Quite funny. Wetsuit got stuck on timing chip around ankle, but I wouldn't say that was more than 10 seconds lost.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 38m 12s
  • 12.39 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Exiting tranistion, one guy was having trouble clipping in as we hit the pavement, kind of swerving a bit. I hopped on my bike not seeing him, and we almost hit each other. Sprinted to the top of the hill, then settled in trying to get the HR down a bit. Can't say it ever really happend. Bike course was kind of uneventful. Passed 2 bike, and never got passed. Never saw anyone behind me. So, nothing really to share there. I felt good the entire bike, thought I pushed hard.

I really want to get over that 20+ mph range. I know that will come with more time, and more hard work. Still in my first year, so the gains I have made I am happy with.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

This was my best bike to run transition yet. Although, I only have a few under my belt. The bike course ends with a small down hill, so at the top, I got me feet out, and set them on top of my shoes. Rode the hill down at good speed like that. I was able to left one leg over the top tub and ride with one leg on as I was entering the dismount area, and had a great running dismount. Big smile on my face for that!! Ran into Transition, racked the bike, race belt on, shoes on, and gone.

Nothing. It went bette than expected
Run
  • 21m 28s
  • 3.08 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of transition at a good clip, and never felt any cramps etc. I knew at this point I had only seen 8 bikes on the way back from the bike turnaround. But 5 of them were well ahead. A couple must have left transition before me since I passed two. Seeing this, I knew I had a chance to pick off a couple on the run. After I entered the gravel section, then exited, I saw the first guy about 200 yards ahead. Time to get him. Passed him in the middle of the first hill. By the time I got to the second hill, the next guy had alrady reached the top. I knew it was going to be difficult to reach him. I see ahead, he's now at the turn around, and i am a good 1/4 mile behind him. Damn. Time to pick it up a bit. As he reaches the first hill on the way back, I knew at that point I still felt good, and could beat him to the top of the hill. If I was able to do that, I knew I had him. Mission accomplished. As I enter the final turn, with about 3/4 of a mile to go, I see the same old folks still sitting in their chairs in their driveway, rooting people on. The old man says "you better get moving son, that guy behind you is about to catch you." I turn around, and there is a guy chasing me down, maybe 50-75 yards back. Holy sh*t. I am not sure where I found the energy, but I turned on the nitrous, and sprinted the last 1/2-3/4 mile at about 5:15 pace. he finished 5 seconds behind me. THANK YOU old man. I would have never saw that guy coming.

More intervals. Another goal is to get sub 20 for 5k next season.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a gatorade, banana, and then just about got tackled by my kids. That was the best part of the day. It's always great to have family there. They love to go and cheer me on. But after that, I told the lady at the snack tent, I am taking 2 White Choc Macadamia Nut cookies, I earned them. She got a good laugh!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim can always be better and bike can always be faster. I think another winter of hard training will get me closer to where I want to be.

Event comments:

Looking at where I started in February, to where I am now, I am pretty pleased. I feel great, am prob in the best shape I have ever been in, and absolutely never thought I'd fall in love with Triathlon. Looking at my races, I am finding I am tracking people down on the run, even at 7 min paces. I feel good and bad about that. It means my bike can be faster and my swim can be faster. But I feel good about that because it says alot about my overall fitness. I am not dragging on the run. So here's to maybe one more Tri this year, a half marathon, and a duathlon. then some serious pool time, and winter training for Rev 3 Quassy Half Iron Man next July. of course, an Olympic before I try to tackle those hills out there.

Last updated: 2011-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:44 | 700 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 14/145
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Reaction
Course: Small clear pond. Nice clean beach area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:12 | 12.39 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Overall: 14/145
Wind: None
Course: Starts with a hill, then flat for a bit. Couple good hills on the way back that spike the HR a bit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:28 | 03.08 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 6/145
Course: Flat start, enter 200 yard gravel trail at mile 1, then as you enter back on the road, there are two good hills. It's an out an back course going around the pond, so you hit those hills twice. Ouch!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes