Trimax
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 45s
Overall Rank = 38/93
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed around 11:30 PM & woke up at 5:30 AM; didn't sleep too well, though. Had a whole wheat bagel with almond butter drizzled with honey for breakfast at 5:45 AM. Arrived at the venue at 6:15 AM and got set-up in transition, etc.
Event warmup:

Just stretched and mentally prepared myself...1st triathlon.
Swim
  • 17m 58s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I was pleased with my first race OWS. Wetsuits were deemed illegal because of the warm water temperature. Practicing in the Schuylkill River certainly helped, particularly with sighting. I had some problems with people cutting me off around the buoys, but nothing that affected me significantly. I also started to get some foot cramps (left foot) at the half-way point, but I have been battling these cramps since I started swimming a few months ago...so they were expected. My time, although in the MOP, was good for me over that distance...it was about 3 minutes faster than I had predicted.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really...I was pleased that I had no major problems & didn't panic on my first competitive OWS. I'd like to go faster, but that'll come with more practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Had a bike spot near the rear of the transition area. Put on glasses and helmet & put on bike shoes; ran with bike to mounting area.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 42s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

My biggest problem was that I lost focus somewhere along the way & left my gears on the small crank! I wondered how people were still gaining speed on the downhills when I couldn't do anything but spin...I realized it several miles into it. I think I cost myself several minutes by not paying attention to what I was doing. This all could have been circumvented IF my bike computer was working--the sensor got twisted on the trip to the event and I didn't realize it wasn't working until I was on the bike; I'm sure I would have noticed how slow I was going if my computer was 'on' during the race.

1) Ensure that my bike computer is working before setting up in transition. 2) Focus more on keeping my gears on the large crank...particularly when going downhill. 3) Be careful to not overhydrate...it affected me in the first part of the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Nothing remarkable here...took my time dismounting the bike because my legs were a little ragged, plus the rain had left everything kinda slick. So I was just being cautious.

Not much...probably would have been faster without the rain.
Run
  • 25m 48s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't realize it while running, but I actually did pretty well in the run. I felt slow because I was battling calf cramps just after leaving the transition area (had to stop to rub it out) & then hamstring cramps nearer the end of the run. My race pace was about as fast as I've run since I started training this year.

Perhaps a quick stretch in T2 to prevent the calf cramps--they were terrible!
Post race
Warm down:

I just grabbed a bottle of water and walked about...talked to a friend & cooled down slowly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The big hill on the bike really killed my legs...that was the worst part of the race & affected me most. After only 10 weeks of training for this tri, I was happy with the outcome.

Event comments:

The entry fee for this one was cheap ($75), so I didn't expect much. They advertised a "Goodie Bag" as part of your entry fee, but it only contained your tech shirt and a gel packet...not necessarily a lot of swag. Being a small-town venue probably limited the number/amount of sponsors they were able to obtain...but the price was fair for the return.

Last updated: 2011-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:58 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 54/93
Performance: Average
Suit: CWX Compression Top/Bottom
Course: An inverted triangle in Pinchot Lake. Large buoys marked the course...it was navigated in a counter-clockwise direction. One loop for the Sprint distance.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:42 | 18.2 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Overall: 40/93
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Leaving the T1 area, I grabbed a Gu (Roctane) packet and ate that before focusing on getting up to speed. It was downhill for the first mile and then an insane uphill for about 1/3 mile; I considered for a brief moment of dismounting and walking my bike up that damned hill! After reaching the crest, there was a nice descent & eventually reached another gradual climb (not too bad). After making a right onto Route 177, the course was a series of uphill & downhill slopes...nothing nearly as steep as the first climb, but still challenging. Finally, another right onto Alpine Road where there was another hill to finish off the 9-mile loop. We did this twice in the Sprint.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:48 | 03.2 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 34/93
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a trail that was reported to be "mostly flat," but it was not flat. It was shaped like a "crooked lollipop" where the start was flat and led into the woods, but after a mile was a fairly steady incline; the nice part was that the 2nd part of the run was basically downhill, when my legs needed the break.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No