Vicksburg Swim Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 18s
Overall Rank = 56/99
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Thank God this is the last race of the season. I was not very excited and mostly just wanted to skip the whole thing. Up at 4:20a to load up and get some coffee. Ate a yogurt on the way, sipped coffee and water, and had to pee like a racehorse when we got there. This is a first year event and the bike racks were not what they had intended when they ordered them. They were more like those crowd control barriers you see at parades. So, we had to rack "sideways." I think everyone managed it okay and without complaint. Sometimes triathletes are whiny and spoiled (me included) (see below), and sometimes, they are happy to go with the flow.
Event warmup:

Took a 10-12 minute jog around the area. The morning started cool (high 60s), but it was warming up quickly. Luckily, the humidity wasn't as bad as last week.
Swim
  • 42m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy mackeral! That was the worst swim ever. I couldn't see a damn thing. Ran over every person near me (sorry!) and just wanted to be done with it, but felt like I was swimming for freakin' eternity. I'm amazed I had the 2nd fastest swim in my AG. I was PO'ed when I got out of the water, and sure I had just ruined my whole race. I really wanted to just quit at that point. I felt terrible through the whole swim and took it as a sign that I was cooked and another race was not a good idea.

Anyway, afterwards, talking to everyone else, it seemed as if my experience was par for the course. Interestingly, though, although this is the first year for the triathlon, they have had an open swim event for several years. The swimmers have never complained about the course or the buoys. Yep. Spoiled triathletes. It will be interesting to see if they do anything differently next year.
What would you do differently?:

I have GOT to start more aggressively. I think I would have had less contact with folks around me if I could have gotten closer to the front at the very beginning. I have the fitness. I need to just swim and quit my whining. I don't swim that crooked (not that straight, either), and I probably would have been in the vicinity of the buoys had I just quit worrying about trying to find them and swam in the general direction. I also swallowed a lot of water this time...that was yucky.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

I had a minor temper tantrum in T1. Contemplated whether I would keep going or just quit. This is where I lost the race. First place in my AG only beat me by 30 seconds.

Get over my damn self.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a strong ride, and I managed a good pace. However, I really thought I had ridden it a couple of minutes faster. That 20-mile per hour ride is still elusive for me. I didn't pass as many people as I would have hoped, but overall enjoyed the ride. I even thought to myself on the return trip that all my time spent on the trainer is good on a course like this where you never stop pedaling and hardly even change gears.

Try to push the pace a little bit more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Okay. Now, I'm racing.

Next year...shoes off on bike.
Run
  • 54m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I am pretty pleased with the run time. I think I can run faster, but it was hot, and I really didn't want to blow up halfway through. I passed a ton of guys, but not as many girls as I would have liked. I was glad to feel good, though...especially after last week's ugliness. Almost a minute per mile faster.

Push the second half a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own stupid attitude.

Event comments:

Incredible job for a first year race. So very organized. Good food afterward. Nice awards. Great job!

Last updated: 2011-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 72/99
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Triangular clockwise swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:55 | 24.85 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 53/99
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a very flat road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 41/99
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on another flat road. No shade. A little bit of wind.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-28 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: Gator Bait at Eagle Lake

2011-08-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3662915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Gator Bait at Eagle Lake
It was good seeing you out there Karen.  Glad you pulled yourself together towards the end!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gator Bait at Eagle Lake Rss Feed