Trimax
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 31m 36s
Overall Rank = 8/63
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast, drove to race, got packet and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Short swim, just trying to get swim muscles warmed up. Did a little drill work to try to get into good form.
Swim
  • 27m 20s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like I got in to a good rhythm, put out the right effort level but my form wasn't quite there. Definitely much better if I have a wetsuit to keep my legs from sinking. First swim in my speed suit - difficult to say if it helped, but it didn't hurt. A bit disappointed with time, but not totally unexpected for me without a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more frequently - had a couple of small navigation issues when I went too many strokes without sighting. Nothing major, but would have made me a little straighter.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Totally screwed up my mount. First race with my new tri shoes and I hadn't practiced flying mount with them. First shoe rubber band snapped before I totally got on. I actually had to stop to get my foot in. Recovered all right.

Practice my mount more. It was a shame, rest of transition went very well - helmet and glasses were on practically automatically - I didn't even remember doing it.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 50s
  • 26.88 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

We technically raced in a hurricane since the very outer bands of Irene were just reaching the area and had a couple short periods of light rain :-)

Did a good job of not pushing too hard on first lap - got into rhythm, the one steep climb felt much easier to me than last time I raced here a little over 2 years ago. Had issues on the longer, lower grade climbs - just didn't seem to be able to keep up speed well. I think every time I got passed it was on these. Descents were fun - easy to spin out, then tuck down aero and bank around the turns. Did a good job of staying down and carrying my speed into the next climbs. Caught myself losing focus on the 2nd loop - got passed and realized I wasn't really putting forth a race effort. Stepped it up for the remainder of the loop and the third loop. Think I may have overhydrated pre-race - actually had to pee on the bike on the road bike to transition.

Hmm....I think last year my bike was my strongest part. 2 races in a row I've had what I think was a subpar bike. Not sure what my issue is - I'm getting in the miles and quality workouts, it just doesn't seem to be coming together this season.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Feet out, jumped off bike well - and somehow dropped a shoe!?!?! Have no idea how it popped out, but as I hit the ground running, I heard race volunteer call out that I lost a shoe, and sure enough, just past the dismount was my right shoe. Had to put down the bike and run back to it.

Umm,not sure. I've never done that before. Most of that time from the shoe incident is actually added to the bike rather than the T2 time because it happened prior to the mat. I guess maybe practice my dismount more, but I usually do that on every ride and never had that happen to me.
Run
  • 43m 4s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to moderate my speed right off the bike, and had it in mind that was what I was doing, but once I paid attention I realized my body was pushing by itself too hard. Managed to get myself slowed down. Had Garmin on 1 mile autolap to keep track, and it kept telling me every mile was getting slower, which made me feel like today wasn't my day. One short steep incline on run that came out of nowhere - definitely had to dial back on the effort so I didn't red-line. After supposedly dropping off about 30" per mile from mile 1 to 4, I decided to stop pushing hard and just have fun. Loosened up and tried to focus on enjoying the run. Next split was 20" faster. Made me feel better and finished strong - to see that my Garmin only had the course at 5.7 miles. It often underestimates, especially with heavy tree covers, so hoping the course was actually 10k.

If my Garmin says I'm running slower than I think/feel I am, don't let it go to my head :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Not much - a very small amount of stretching. Ate a panera bagel, egg and cheese sandwich - yum!! - plus a banana and some water. Broke down my transition, changed out of my tri suit and put on my compression socks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim form and bike power output. Pretty happy with that run time on a twisty, unpaved course after a tough bike. Bike mount and dismount issues.

Event comments:

No big issues with the race itself - especially given the short notice of rescheduling Oly event a day early, I thought they did a good job. Had medals for AG prizes, which I like. Post-race spread was nice, but no massage. Multiple loops got sort of boring. Wouldn't set up my schedule specifically for this race, but would do it again if it fit in to the rest of my season plan. I originally planned on doing Riverstock this weekend, but it was cancelled due to low registration numbers - a shame, because I think it was a better Oly distance event.

Two big issues I did have with the race. First, apparently most of the olympic swimmers stood up at the beginning of the second wave in shallow water and took the opportunity to dive forward, which I'm pretty sure is a penalty under USAT rules. Second, I heard from spectators afterwards that apparently the overall winner cut the swim course and was not DQ'd. If I had known it was an option, maybe I would have done it, too. He was fast enough he probably would have won anyway, but if rules don't apply to everyone it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Part of the swim is navigating, and if you can't do it, then your time should reflect that. My family who was watching said he missed the last turn buoy - which is impressive because its a 2 loop course, he had already done it once, and it was a different color than the other buoys. Definitely something the race organizer should take in to consideration - it definitely left me feeling that I'd rather not do this race again.

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:20 | 1750 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 10/63
Performance: Average
Suit: Sailfish Furious
Course: 2 loops, triangle going counter clockwise. Very shallow at shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:19:50 | 26.88 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Overall: 13/63
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops of rolling terrain - one steep ascent, a couple of longer low grade climbs and 2 fast descents.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:04 | 06.2 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 10/63
Performance: Good
Course: Short section of paved trail, then off to thick forest on a twisty mostly crushed gravel/dirt trail. 2 loops for olympic distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes