Erie, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = 20/349
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with Amanda's Aunt in Harborcreek. Got up about 5:50am and was out the door shortly after 6am. I didn't have the greatest night of sleep as there was a train that went by every 30 min all night long. Got to the race site about 6:40am and started setting up transition. Nutrition/hydration weren't what they should have been. More on this later.
Event warmup:

Did a mile jog on the first part of the run course. I was able to get some swimming in before my wave went off. Only 2-3 min.
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

With only 3 waves and nearly 400 participants, I knew the swim start was going to be interesting. There were 150 in my wave and it was pretty chaotic to start. I struggled through the first 200 yards to the bouy. I hit a lot of people and they hit me as well. I sighted a lot to look for clear water to not find it.

Finally, I found some open water after the first turn but that start took a lot out of me. The next 200yds seemed to take forever as everytime I tried to locate the next bouy I was blinded by the sun. All they had was a little flag on top of a regular bouy for the boats and it was very difficult to find.

Both turns around the bouys seemed to go pretty well. I made the final turn and had open water. Just didn't have a lot of steam left to push it too much. I had no idea what my time was coming out of the water. I need to figure out a way to keep a running time throughout the race so I can monitor where I'm at.

Goal going in was to swim 11 min. That would have put me 4th in AG and 58th OA.
What would you do differently?:

I thought I positioned myself well enough in my wave to avoid most of the people, but I guess I didn't. Swim more and put myself closer to the front of the wave.

Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I was 37th OA on this transition. I felt as though it went well and I was able to get my wetsuit off easier/quicker than last race. I put BodyGlide on my ankles - not sure if that helped or not but it came off so much easier.
Bike
  • 32m 52s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I put my bike shoes on in transition which may have cost me a few more seconds there. I was able to get clipped in and up to speed much better than my other tri's this year. (I still haven't practiced them so I guess I was just lucky this time)

The course is flat and fast. Very smooth roads with some minor turns as it loops around the park. I knew I had to ride as fast as possible and wanted to average 24.5mph if possible and hit 31 min for the bike. Thankfully I had a set of clip-on aerobars from Gregg and I've never used them so much as I did in the race. I have very little experience with them, but I figured I needed to stay in them as much as possible to go fast. With the flat course there was no need to change gears so that helped.

The course looped back by the start/finish area where the spectators were cheering. I passed a number of people on the bike (that happens when you're so far behind coming out of the water). I went back and forth with one guy from Erie Tri Club. I finally put some time on him after the 10 mile mark.

Goal was 31 min for the bike segment. I was only :27 behind 1st in my AG with my time so I guess it wasn't too bad. 31' would have put me 15th OA in the race for the bike.

Can't say that I could have done much more on race day. Just need more quality bike training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

8th OA T2 time so I'm happy with that. I felt as though I was in and out in no time and my split showed that.

Not much
Run
  • 22m 44s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me awhile to get my running legs after the bike. I was really hoping to average close to 6 min miles and that didn't happen. I noticed one guy in front of me (who I believe won my AG) just take off on the run. There were two racers within reach - one guy and one woman. I took my time in working my way up to them and passed them together just shortly before the turnaround. He turned out to be 3rd in my AG and she ended up 2nd OA for the women.

The run was uneventful again. I kept trying to check my pace and push but just didn't do it. I was able to figure that I was 8th in my wave as I counted the runners that had passed me after the turnaround. I assumed that I was in good shape time/place wise and that was a bad assumption.

Saw Sam Jr and gave him a high-five on the run. Run ends on the multi-purpose trail and it winds through the park. I crossed the finish and immediately knew my time. It was the first time I had any idea where I was and I wasn't too thrilled with it.

Web results show 6:41/mile. BT shows 6:30/mile. My Garmin shows a 3.57 distance and 6:20/mile.

Run harder, focus and concentrate more.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do any sort of cool down. Congratulated Sam as he finished (he was in 2nd wave and beat me by :26...never again!) Talked to Mariann Kahle (another Bradfordian) about our respective races. She offered to pick up an award if I won one as I needed to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots learned this triathlon season.

- Need to figure out nutrition before races. Basically non-existent now. It will become even more important as I up the distance to an Oly hopefully next summer.

- Need more swim endurance workouts. Arms burn on the swim and I come out of the water pretty gassed. If I expect to compete in an Oly, I need a stronger swim.

- Need better bike fitness with more quality workouts and intervals.

- Need to do more run intervals to build speed and increase turnover. The base is there and will continue to build.

- Need to practice T1. Out of wetsuit and onto the bike.

It's going to be a long winter thinking about this one. Perhaps that's just what I needed.

Last updated: 2011-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 98/349
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:52 | 13 miles | 23.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 31/349
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:44 | 03.5 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 12/349
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-29 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: Presque Isle Triathlon

2011-08-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3664271

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Presque Isle Triathlon
Great race Steve!  When you get your swim pace up to the level of your bike and run you will be tough to beat (not that it is bad now!)

Congrats on a great tri season!
2011-08-31 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3664437

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Presque Isle Triathlon
Outstanding race, Steve! 150 in a swim wave does lead to some excitement on the swim. I like how you have evaluated yourself to see how you can improve even though you are already super fast. I am looking forward to seeing how well you do next season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Presque Isle Triathlon Rss Feed