General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mighty Hamptons Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-31 9:41 AM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon : Official Thread
First year racing in this race. Looks good.

2011-08-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3667248

User image

Subject: RE: Mighty Hamptons Triathlon : Official Thread
i hear dave scotts going to be in it
2011-08-31 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3667345

Veteran
New York, Connecticut

My new goal is to beat him

2011-09-09 5:57 PM

User image

For those who have not done this event before.  Here are some tips that may help.  I only raced here once but I remember it vividly.  I remember it was pouring rain.  I remember getting off the bike and as I'm slipping my running shoes on hearing the announcer calling out TJ Tollakson as the winner and thinking, "Damn that dude is fast!"

A.) Bring a lantern or flashlight/ headlamp as transition will be pitch black when it first opens.  As will the port-a-potties.  

B.) The swim can be a touch long.  It was the year I did it and I have heard many people concur.  But if it is, it's  a good thing - we're getting our monies worth, and everyone has to swim the same distance  

C.) The hills and climbs in the beginning of the bike are surprising.  Sag Harbor is shockingly not flat.  There aren't any 'hard' climbs, and most are short, but just be prepared for some climbing. 

D.) There are some sketchy sharp turns on a few descents; My motto is: better safe than sorry. 

E.) The last part of the bike course is flat along farmland and we will get slammed with headwind.  Expect it.  

F.) The run is flat and fast.  Start with a quick cadence because you can easily keep it for the entire 10k.  The only minor elevation change I can recall was running down into a culdesac at the out-and-back.  

G.) The last few miles are brutal as you can hear the announcer and it's two lonnnng straightaways that never end.

If anyone has any other advice, experience on this course, please share.

2011-09-09 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3679847

User image

Veteran
Dream Chaser - 2011-09-09 6:57 PM

For those who have not done this event before.  Here are some tips that may help.  I only raced here once but I remember it vividly.  I remember it was pouring rain.  I remember getting off the bike and as I'm slipping my running shoes on hearing the announcer calling out TJ Tollakson as the winner and thinking, "Damn that dude is fast!"

A.) Bring a lantern or flashlight/ headlamp as transition will be pitch black when it first opens.  As will the port-a-potties.  

B.) The swim can be a touch long.  It was the year I did it and I have heard many people concur.  But if it is, it's  a good thing - we're getting our monies worth, and everyone has to swim the same distance  

C.) The hills and climbs in the beginning of the bike are surprising.  Sag Harbor is shockingly not flat.  There aren't any 'hard' climbs, and most are short, but just be prepared for some climbing. 

D.) There are some sketchy sharp turns on a few descents; My motto is: better safe than sorry. 

E.) The last part of the bike course is flat along farmland and we will get slammed with headwind.  Expect it.  

F.) The run is flat and fast.  Start with a quick cadence because you can easily keep it for the entire 10k.  The only minor elevation change I can recall was running down into a culdesac at the out-and-back.  

G.) The last few miles are brutal as you can hear the announcer and it's two lonnnng straightaways that never end.

If anyone has any other advice, experience on this course, please share.

Did the race last year. Your tips are spot on.  The only thing I would add is last year the  sighting during the swim was tough.  There were only a few buoys out there and were very far apart. 

Looking forward to it this Sunday.  It is not my A race but I hope to best my time from last year.

Good luck everyone.

2011-09-12 12:30 PM

does any one have a data (GPS) on how long the swim actually was?

I am trying to figure out how bad my navigation is (was)

2011-09-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3682505

User image

Veteran
I had my garmin in my swimcap.  It came in at .95 miles. On a map it looked like I swam pretty straight and my time is what I expected for that distance and my effort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mighty Hamptons Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed