Louisville, Kentucky
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

Pre-Race- Drank a lot of water. Stood in line and waited for the swim to start. I made the mistake of going back to the car and putting my bike pump back in. Got to swim start and was probably 100 people from the end of the line. When the line started moving, I was by the porta johns and low and behold the stretcher with the swimmer that did not make it came rolling by. I am generally not shaken by much but this for some reason really unnerved me. I have to say that this is not the best way to start a race.
Swim
  • 1h 05m 4s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Starting so far back was a huge mistake. I don’t feel that I could actually get up to speed at all. For every 10 strokes, I was on top of someone. There was a constant zig zagging that was happening. After the first 500 yards I felt tight in my arms and chest. I felt as if I needed to stretch but could not figure out how while swimming. I just went with it. All and all I am OK with my swim. There was no noticeable current and think that if there was and maybe if I had started closer to the front (minus the traffic) I would have been a little faster.
What would you do differently?:

Started closer to the front

Maybe drank less water pre-race

As callous as this sounds probably not let the misfortune of others get to me on race day.
Transition 1
  • 09m 7s
Comments:

I exited the swim ran to T1, got in and there were no seats at all, I had to wait for one to become available before I could finish getting ready. Not bad though, I said I wanted a 10 min T1 and I was 9:07 min under.
Bike
  • 6h 28m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike I think went pretty well. I can't really complain at all. I PR’ed the bike course by 13 mins with a flat. At about mile 80, I started suffering a little. Water did not taste good and infinit and anything with sugary was not sitting on my stomach. I puked it up and started over. I pushed through (which may or may not) have been the reason of the bad run.
What would you do differently?:

I really think I should have used a XX-27 cassette. Going up some of those hills I had to really hold back in fear of blowing up.

Figure out wtf the whole nutritional malfunction was

Probably not ridden as deep of a front wheel. Seemed very unsteady heading down the big hills with a cross wind.

Not flat.
Transition 2
  • 11m 9s
Comments:

I got in and just got it done. I had to reapply sunscreen and changed socks. Got on my shoes and started out. I ate a sandwich out of T2.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The start of the run was actually OK. I kept the pace that I discussed with my coach for a while. Around mile 10, I started to get dizzy. Not sure what was going on but I started walking the aid stations. From there it got progressively worse. I was vomiting by mile 12 and had the chills. I don’t really remember too much more except a race official made me stop at mile 16 (Garmin read 16.71). I vaguely remember them sitting me on a curb I also remember being driving to medical. I had some IV’s and some scalding hot chicken broth that burnt my mouth.
Post race
Event comments:

So as I sit here and type this. I have a lot of emotions. I am glad it’s over, mad at myself for not just finishing. It is taking a lot not go out and sign up for next year to make it my b***h and get it done. But right now, I just need some rest and probably some time to figure out nutritionally what went wrong.

Last updated: 2010-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:05:04 | 3862 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 55/0
Overall: 361/0
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:28:33 | 112 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 177/0
Overall: 1034/0
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 11:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-31 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-31 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3667903

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

FrownSorry to hear about your run and not being able to finish. It does suck, HOWEVER!!! you are alive!!! and will be able to do other ironmans!!!! yeah!! and you will kick butt and finish. By your times in the swim and bike you are speedy so give your body time to recover and sign up for another one. I am glad you were not allowed to continue, it is serious matter when you get to that point and you need someone else to pull you out before further damage is done.

Recover...recover...rest and then train...Laughing...

2011-08-31 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

FrownSorry to hear about your run and not being able to finish. It does suck, HOWEVER!!! you are alive!!! and will be able to do other ironmans!!!! yeah!! and you will kick butt and finish. By your times in the swim and bike you are speedy so give your body time to recover and sign up for another one. I am glad you were not allowed to continue, it is serious matter when you get to that point and you need someone else to pull you out before further damage is done.

Recover...recover...rest and then train...Laughing...

2011-08-31 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that things went so wrong for you out there. I was in the water when they pulled the swimmer on to Towhead Island and began doing CPR on him. That definitely put a strain on my already shaky state of mind. Get some rest and then jump back in the game. My advice is to sign up for 2012 and make it your b!t%h.
2011-09-01 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

sorry to read the end of it, it sounds like it was time to stop though. Sometimes when you start the vomiting it really is just time to stop taking in calories for a while... your body is trying to tell you something.

Glad you are ok, rest up and get back at it!

2011-09-01 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

As you know, anything can happen out there during race day.  It is a long day.  You did the best you could do.  I have a feeling we are both going to be back next year. 

Next year we need to make sure we follow out plan of starting together and "racing."

Rest up and recover. 

2011-09-01 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Tough break...but much respect. Good work regardless.
2011-09-02 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Sorry to hear hou things turned out for you.  So many unexpected things can happen on race day, and kudos to you for staying in there as long as you did.   But I have a feeling that all the pieces are really going to come together for you!
2012-08-28 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3671095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Really tough conditions out there. I think those hills on the bike really take their toll. I say sign up for next year and kick .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed