General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

City of Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
Pacific Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 36s
Overall Rank = 263/1101
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 56/168
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Ate a yogurt, clif bar and a banana with several glasses of water. Then rode the bike 2.5 miles to the start in the dark. Had a large gatorade and another clif bar in the hour before the race. Set up the transition area and said hi to some of my friends.
Event warmup:

Did not warmup for the swim. Shoulder is now a little sore. I probably should have warmed up.
Swim
  • 22m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went really well. I had a good run start and found a nice clear path to the first buoy. In addition, as we entered the water a small set rolled in which separated the field pretty quickly. The less experienced swimmers got a little pounded. After I got throught the waves I just tried to stay smooth and stretch my stroke I luckily found a nice set of feet and drafted most of the way out. Also caught a good sized wave on the way in and rode it as long as possible.
What would you do differently?:

I'm really happy with the swim. I would have warmed up first and gone to the bathroom since I really had to go during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

I had a little trouble getting the wetsuit off and having to pack up all my stuff took a little longer than I would have liked but the time is plenty fast enough so I'm not too worried about it.

Practice taking the wetsuit off in a hurry.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is faster than last year but still slower than I would like. I need to keep working on the bike splits. In addition, I need to work on my flexibility because I was unable to ride in the aerobars at all during the course due to a sharp pain in my hammy.

I'm doing the right things I just need to keep training. In addition, I should start stretching so that I can make use of the aerobars in a race situation.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Used the bathroom which slowed my transition time but most likely sped up my run. The new quick laces worked great.

Nothing. It was good transition.
Run
  • 48m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt good. Nice and smooth and in control.

I'm happy with it. I just need to keep up the training.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around the end area. Ate some food and drank a lot of liquids. Felt much better at the end than I have felt in the past.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went as fast as I could have gone on that day.

Event comments:

I am extremely happy with the race. I dropped just under a half an hour off my time from last year of 3:04 (which was my first ever triathlon). The course was essentially identical. From the results it would seem I am doing the right things I just need to keep working on them.

Last updated: 2005-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/168
Overall: 24/1101
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro2 Sleeveless
Course: Run start into the surf left at first buoy then along the coast to two left hand turn buoys that turn you around to go back parrallel to shore then a right into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:51 | 24.85 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 120/168
Overall: 680/1101
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Point to point from Venice Beach to the Staple Center downtown.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:57 | 06.21 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/168
Overall: 306/1101
Course: Out and back with small deviation on the way back to prevent an awkward cross over.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-14 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: City of Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic

2005-09-15 2:25 PM
in reply to: #246763

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: City of Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic
Did you say you dropped nearly 1/2 hour off your time from a year ago??? that's fabulous! great times overall, especially on the swim.
2005-09-15 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

Just read your race report...wish I could get some of that SWIM SPEED of yours...geeee  wiz!  You can fly.  I suppose you have been swimming for a few years!  Congrats on a solid race (with a sore shoulder to boot!)

Larry

2005-09-15 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the nice comments Mimi and Larry!

Mimi, I have a hard time believing it as well but yes I really dropped almost 30 minutes. And yes, I do swim an awful lot. I started as a swimmer and still find it to be the most rewarding and at the same time relaxing of the three activities so I tend to go quite often. The bike and run are fun but there is nothing quite like when you first jump in the pool or the ocean for a workout. I'm not sure how to describe it but after a couple years off I'm once again addicted to that feeling.

Larry, I'll trade you some swim speed for some of that killer bike and run speed you have. Nice race again. Very impressive. Race well at Ironman Florida.

Mike
2005-09-16 12:46 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Nice job Mike! Larry wasn't kidding, you are one fast mofo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed