Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Nice place for S/B/and/or R vacation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-02 2:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Nice place for S/B/and/or R vacation?

Okay, I know this isn't a travel website, but thought you fellow athletes (esp. Sing-based ones) might have some ideas:

I have a 9-day term break in October and am at a loss as to where to go. I usually head to Laos to kayak but feel like I've seen all the rivers, and I would really like to spend 1-2 days shopping/eating/ running in Singapore first, then go somewhere a short flight or boat ride away that's more idyllic. Ideally it would be somewhere where I could swim in the ocean and/or have some pleasant runs or (if rentals are available) rides. I won't be training for a tri at that point (probably a HM), but I normally use this week as a recovery week anyway. Just would like to be able to do something athletic when I want, and vegetate when I want, for 4-5 days.

Was thinking about possibly Bali or somewhere else in Malaysia or Indonesia, maybe even Bintan Island. When I was there for the race it seemed like a nice enough place to hang out for a few leisurely days. How is it weekdays when a big event isn't going on?  Possible/reasonably safe to ride/run independently? Would I need to take my bike or could I rent there or pick up one in Singapore?

Thought of Bali or Phuket but I don't know. I'm a quiet, low-key person and can't stand party/bar/tourist horde "scene" kind of places. Also don't want anything "romantic" as I'm travelling solo and it's too depressing. (Tri and running are cheaper than Prozac..Tongue out..) Plus Yanti's scared me off with her traffic stories. Is there anywhere quiet where I wouldn't need to swim in a burkini?

Any advice appreciated!

2011-09-02 3:24 AM
in reply to: #3670265

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-02 9:36 AM

Singapore
Subject: RE: Nice place for S/B/and/or R vacation?
Bintan is good for me cause it caters for family but might be a bit boring in terms of variety of things to do. As the other poster mentioned there isn't a lot outside of the resorts. Here's one from left field, what about Taiwan? Weather is good there that time of the year, Kenting has got good resorts for the vegging at the beach bit, Giant's are made there so finding a bike shouldn't be a problem and you'd get plenty of different food and culture. Not sure how long the flight is from where you are but it's a bit over 4 from Singapore. We lived there six years and I loved it. Aside from that the girls at the office recommend Langkawi and Rendang in Malaysia.
2011-09-02 9:23 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the advice--I have thought about Taiwan. I actually lived near Taipei for a year in the 90's and I did travel once to Kenting and Oulanpi (sp? the town at the southern tip). Actually took my MTB on the train and did some independent bike touring in the area, as well as swimming and body surfing. I speak Chinese fluently so it would be an easy destination assuming the transport worked out. It is, however, the tail end of typhoon season there, and those towns can really get hammered.  Am also going to check out Langkawi. Has anyone been to Koh Samui in Thailand?  It sounded nice in the guidebooks but I can see the potential for it being a tourist/party "scene". 
2011-09-05 10:16 PM

Singapore
you're right about the Typhoons but you'd have to be unlucky. If you do come through Singapore drop us a mail and you can show me how to run properly Laughing
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Nice place for S/B/and/or R vacation? Rss Feed