Trisport Canada & Subaru Triathlon Series
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 9s
Overall Rank = 333/479
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

prepared all gear the night before. I emailed all the people from the triathlon clinic I had done as they were racing this day too. Morning of the race loaded up all the gear. Grabbed a coffee and headed out to the race site. Got there pretty early. Actually I was there 2 hours before race time. Racked my bike and went to get my race packet. It seems there aare a number of early risers in my age group as about 5/6 people had already racked their bikes :)
Event warmup:

I saw a number of people from the club and talked with them for a bit. made sure the bike was set up properly and in the right gear. About and hour before the race I threw my headset on and started to get focused. Went for a bout a 1K run and felt great. This was a bit odd as I had been feeling not great on the days leadng up to the race. (I had lost 10 lbs due to stress etc and I think that effected the outcome of both races significantly) After getting back off the run I stretched out grabbed my wet suit and headed to the lake for warm up there. Did about 20 m with a couple of short all out sprints just to wake up my swimming muscles. Once hat was done got out and stood on the beach waited for the start. It was so freaking hot standing there in ablack rubber I had to go back into the water to cool off. THere was a number of people who did the same things util their wave was called.
Swim
  • 17m 11s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a little slow but then I had in the back of my mind that I had a long way to go and another race behind that. Still I was OK with the swim time as it included a 150 m run up hill to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Be more clear headed and into the race/swim . Race only one race per day
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

good transition. Slicker than a frog on ice.

nothing felt really good.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I really need to do something about my biking. This sucks. 4th out of the water and then 13th on the bike. Smells a little like the barnyard. Speaking of which we did pass a couple of farms where they were spreading manure. I'm not sure but I wonder if the fact that I am on 650 wheels and most of the newer bikes are on 750's makes a difference. I' m sure it's not the engine :) I did catch up to a team mate about 22 K into the ride and we worked with each other to amke sure we kept up our speed over the last 5K or so. I was started to drop off a bit. Overall a decent ride for me.

ride fast and be more focus in my head space. I spent too much time thinking about things that didn't have anything to do with the ride/race
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

by the time I racked my bike I was feeling like I had left everything on the bike. It was all I could do to get my shoes and hat on and walk out of transition.

not sure here. the transition itself went OK. there was not area that stands out as being poor other than beng ready to sit down and call it quits. This is usually the area where I can do about a 1:20 or less transition.
Run
  • 48m 57s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 11m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

As I rounded the corner out of transition into the crowd I started to run and got some encouragement from a couple of the people who were going to be racing in the next race. My hip flexers, It band and TFL started acting up immediately and then my calves joined in to make the first half of the 7K run an exercise in determination. Had to walk run the first 3K. Once my muscles finally decided I wasn't going to stop they decided to join with me and we all had a good 4 K run back in. :) It felt so hot that at the aid stations I was grabbing 3 glasses of water. Drinking one and dumping the other two over my head.

Not sure. I think I was just weaker from the lost weight and probably left some energy back on the weigh scale or where ever those 10 lbs were.
Post race
Warm down:

drink water and head back to truck to refuel for the next race. Only had an hour and a half to get ready for the next race. Not feeling very good. Stomach upset and headache coming on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it was really not feeling as strong as I should have been.

Event comments:

Subaru always puts on a high quality race.
NOw onto race 2 tryatri or super sprint

Last updated: 2011-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:11 | 820 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 177/479
Performance: Average
Suit: yes xterra full body
Course: long rectangular. Probably 350 out 50 across and 350 back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:19 | 18.64 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 377/479
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: out and back on country roads. Some rough some very good. The first 10 K were pretty rough middle 10 excellent then back on the poorer roads
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:48:57 | 04.35 miles | 11m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 384/479
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back in the conservation area. hills and heat made this tough run. There wa no breeze right down in the park and very little shade. Just put your eyes forward and keep going
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-04 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon

2011-09-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3672484

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon

great job rob. sucks about the wight loss but you're really awesome for the clinic! 

onto race 2!

2011-09-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3672548

User image

Way to go, Rob! Nice job getting your legs to cooperate on the run!
2011-09-04 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Nice job Rob!!  Sounds like you need more T.I.T.S. to strengthen your glutes and quads.  Those sore muscles on the run, came from the bike leg.   10 pounds is too much to lose in the few days before a race.
2011-09-04 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Way to stick with it, Rob.  Some days are just better than others.
2011-09-05 5:41 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Rob!!!!

2011-09-06 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Standing around in a black rubber hu?   In Apex NC that expression has a whole different meaning.  Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed