Trisport Canada
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 46s
Overall Rank = 93/380
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 9/29
Pre-race routine:

go to truck after the first race and stuff myself full of nutrition for this one. walk around a bit to try and lose some of the lactic acid. Stretch and lie down on the grass. Strangely I didn't feel I needed much of a warmup. I knew this was going to be a very tough race beacuse I was reeady to hurl a couple of times between races.
Event warmup:

Nada other than the fight to get into my still wet sausage casing for the swim. I did get to the beach and into the water. Still not feeling great and was wondering if I should even attempt this race. While waiting for the wave to start on the beach ( again in the last wave of 4) I felt like I was going to pass out due to the heat. I knew once I got into the water I would be OK because the water was cool.
Swim
  • 09m 50s
  • 410 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a very fast swim. Once I got in for my warm up I knew I was just going to manage to get through it. However at the gun I had not passed out or thrown up so I leaped into the water like a gazelle. Ok maybe not quite so graceful but it was pretty good. Hit the water and again did my pail full of snakes thrashing for the first 15 strokes. And yes I was at the front of my age group for the last time this day. From there I immediately dropped into my pace stroke. Came out of the water in reasonable time and just ahead of one of the athletes I had been coaching. I could hear him hollering behind me "come on coach Rob". Once I hit that stinking hill again I went bounding up it like a turtle. Absolutely nothing in my legs to carry me up hill. My athlete passed me and ran on up.
What would you do differently?:

NOt a whole lot. Maybe not do a race just before this one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Good transition. I was able to beat my athlete out of transition as I had my shoes on the bike and had no trouble getting out of the wet suit.

nada
Bike
  • 22m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Just not enough in the tank to make this a spectacular ride. I had trouble at the mount line as I couldn't get my left foot into my shoes. I had forgotten to check the strap and it was still partially velcroed from the previous race. Overall a decent ride

make sure my shoes were porperly mounted on the bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

good transition and amazingly I felt much better than the first race as I was able to run out of transition and onto the course

nothing
Run
  • 16m 9s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

crappy run. 4 minutes over my normal time for this distance. Had to walk all the hills as I just had nothing in my legs to propel me up.

again not race two races the same day.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the finish lien and just sat down and leaned against a tree. A pra medic came over with some bags of ice and a cold water to help me cool down. I was drastically overheated by the time I sprinted across the finish line. Sat there for about 15 minutes to recover. A pretty redhead para medic came over as well when she found out I had done both races that day. That helped a bit;) Afte I could get up I went over to the massage table where I had my calves worked on. I could feel them starting to seize.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

too much racing. too much weight loss. too much stuff going on outside the race. but cest la vie. it is what is is and I will do better next year.
It is all but impossible to get enough nutrition etc back into you in 1n hour and 1/2 between races.

Event comments:

Once again Subaru puts on excellent races.

Last updated: 2011-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:50 | 410 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 84/380
Performance: Average
Suit: yes xterra full body
Course: longish rectangular shape. about 160+ out 50 across and then back in to shore and up that d@%$ hill again.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:22:39 | 06.21 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/29
Overall: 101/380
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: out and back on some pretty rough roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:09 | 01.55 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/29
Overall: 182/380
Performance: Bad
Course: once again through the hills in the conservation park. very hot still and lots of hills on the first portion of the conservation roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-04 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake II - Tri-A-Tri

2011-09-04 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3672508

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II - Tri-A-Tri
you crazy ol' coot... AWESOME JOB!!!
2011-09-04 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3672549

User image

Yeah, two races in one day - and a hot day at that - sounds like a recipe for suffering. You made it through, though! Great job!
2011-09-04 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great job on a tough day, Rob.
2011-09-06 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
At IMCA they were announcing the finish (in front of me I might add) of a woman who had done the entire race course the day before because she wanted to do her own personal back to back IM race.  I thought of you when I heard this.  Personally I think you picked a much smarter combination of races. Way to go stud muffin.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II - Tri-A-Tri Rss Feed