Pikes Peak Road Runners
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m
Overall Rank = 141/420
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/31
Pre-race routine:

This was a weird set up. I was up at 3:30 in the morning, getting ready. Then it was the 40 minute drive to Springs. Once in Springs I parked on a rather industrial street and walked with a couple of other runners for about 1/2 mile to the starting line. After a few minutes, we loaded onto buses and rode for about 30 minutes+ to Palmer Lake. Once we arrived it was more waiting. Somebody forgot to unlock the port-o-potties, so there were only like two available. Fortunately, I was the second one in. It was absolutely freezing in Palmer Lake. Fortunately, I had my big sweatshirt and I was able to crawl inside and cover up until just before the race. I've never been happier to get a race started than I was that morning!
Event warmup:

No warm-up. Just a quick change out of my warm clothes and then a walk in the wind to the start. Once we were under way, it was just fine.
Run
  • 3h 59m 5s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I went a little harder at the start figuring that if I was going to break 4 hours, I'd better bank a little bit of time up front. This turned out to be a fairly decent strategy. I never felt out of breath during the race, but by the end, my legs were quite sore, and it was all I could do to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I kept pushing myself to try and hit that elusive 4 hour mark, and it paid off.
What would you do differently?:

If I had it to do all over again, I would likely try to squeeze in 1-2 more long runs leading up to the event. While I'm satisfied overall with the result, I think a little more "time" logged in the long runs would have made it a less painful experience toward the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly staggering around ATB park and looking for my wife and daughters.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See what would you do differently.

Event comments:

Glad to have done a second marathon. I'll be anxious to see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I'm especially pleased that I broke through the 4 hour mark as that represents a PR by over 28 minutes! Not sure if I'll do another anytime soon, but I'm still proud that I did it.

Last updated: 2011-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
03:59:05 | 26.2 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/31
Overall: 141/420
Performance: Good
Course: This is a really nice course. There are moderate hills throughout but it's mostly run on dirt trails which are very nice. The trail is far enough off of the interstate that you really don't notice it but once or twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-05 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: American Discovery Trail Marathon

2011-09-05 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3673789

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: American Discovery Trail Marathon
Congratulations on the PR.  I believe that I am the guy who road with you on the bus to Palmer Park.  Great report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Discovery Trail Marathon Rss Feed