General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toyota US Open Triathlon - Sprint or Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-05 8:08 PM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Toyota US Open Triathlon - Sprint or Olympic Distance
We're less than 30 days out from the Toyota US Open Triathlon in Rockwall.  I'm making the trip down from Kansas City to race with some of my Tri4Him teammates.  

I've been part of discussion threads for half iron distance races on BT in the past but am now limiting my racing to the sprint distance.....doesn't make me any less of a triathlete!

Just wanted to kick off a discussion and see if anyone who has done the race in the past could give me any insight to the course.  Is there much by way of hills?  (I've looked at the course maps, but it's always better to get some firsthand feedback).  Are the roads as rough as some of the race reports say they are or have they changed the course for this year?

Looking forward to checking in on this discussion over the next 30 days as we prepare for October 2nd!!

2011-09-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3673974

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota US Open Triathlon - Sprint or Olympic Distance
I just signed up for the Olympic distance, I've heard lots of good things about this race so I'm stoked.
2011-09-06 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

The overall race is great. Great place and run well. The bike course has changed from last year and the one currently posted on thier website.  Here is the new OLY course. The sprint is the same but dont take the out and back part in the middle. This is more of a loop vs the out and back they had last year. I will be riding it this weekend and will let you know how the roads are.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/49411604

2011-09-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3674536

I have done the race the past two years.  Though, two years ago it was a totally different course going from Grand Prairie to downtown Dallas.  The course at Rockwall is great.  I really enjoyed it.  It has some hills on the bike, but nothing too big to handle.  The bad roads were between miles 6 and 11 on last years course, but according to Newtons1st, it looks like they changed the course to eliminate that.  How do you know this Newtons1st?  Hopefully they did change the course as that section was pretty annoying.  The rest of the roads were great IMO.  

The 1st half mile or so of the run is a good climb.  Be ready.  But, it is an out and back so the last half mile is really fast.  The rest of the run is pretty much up and down.  Not a lot of flat parts, but not steep either. 

The race is great and the site at Rockwall is perfect for a race.  I am looking forward to doing the race again this year. 

Eric

2011-09-06 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I train with Triple Threat Tough and one of the coaches, Kristen Codish, works with the US open in some way. She gave me the small broucher that has the new routes in it. They are also availible in the Lifetime fitness gyms in the area.
2011-09-07 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3675104

Cool.  Good to know.  I work out at the Lifetime in Mansfield.  I will check it out today.  I am glad they cut out that little square between miles 6 and 11.  Those roads were the worst. 

2011-09-07 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Great race.  Not sure what the new course is like but will find out this weekend like Todd said above.  The race venue is fantastic.  Triple Threat Tough is sponsoring a free open water swim clinic on Saturday before the race.  After the swim clinic we'll have swim support on the water for a practice swim on the course. 
2011-09-09 9:38 AM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas
This has been my planned "A" race all year. Hell I signed up 3 months ago! So stoked for my first oly in the area where I grew up. I will be at the swim clinic on Sat.
2011-09-09 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

Seems that there is a bike course practice this Saturday (7am) and an OWS practice on Sunday (7am).

I'm planning on being there on Sunday for the OWS.  Anyone planning on running after the swim? I'd like to run the course (perhaps twice) as my long run.

Also, the lake temp for the weekend is about 80F - probably a bit warm for a wetsuit but I may just wear mine to get used to it.  I'm hoping it'll be under 78F to make it wetsuit legal in Oct so I can compare my results to last year (it was my first and only Oly-distance tri).

2011-09-14 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
What do the rest of y'all think? Wetsuit or no wetsuit for this race? (Olympic). 
2011-09-14 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
it'll end up as a wetsuit race by a few degrees is my guess.  Temps will start dropping over the next 3 weeks and it'll be enough to just make for sub-78F water temps...

2011-09-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3687190

No wetsuit in my opinion.  They moved the race up a week from last year and the temps have been higher this summer than last.  Last year it just barely made the cutoff.  I hope that it is wetsuit legal, but I am not counting on it.  Hope I am wrong. 
2011-09-15 9:34 AM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas
RD and USAT official will find a cold spot. Non of them want to put 1800 people in the water, many novices, without a wetsuit. So last report was 80, cool nights over the last week and a little rain, it is probably wetsuit legal now. Hope we don't have another heat wave. Remember you can still wear a wetsuit up to 83, but not get an award. So technically it is wetsuit legal for 99% of the racers right now.
2011-09-16 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
hmmm well crap...i don't have a wetsuit, I do have a speed suit but that's pretty thin (super buoyant though) but it's not long sleeves or anything; I could wear my normal tri kit under that and strip the speed suit off, maybe two layers would help?  
2011-09-16 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3689099

User image

Expert

rdub - 2011-09-16 8:30 AM hmmm well crap...i don't have a wetsuit, I do have a speed suit but that's pretty thin (super buoyant though) but it's not long sleeves or anything; I could wear my normal tri kit under that and strip the speed suit off, maybe two layers would help?  

Lots of people won't be wearing wetsuits.  Last year, none of the pros did, and also a significant number of Age Groupers.

The water won't be cold enough to NEED a wetsuit

2011-09-16 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
ahhh gotcha gotcha, ok cool, thanks for the input. 

2011-09-27 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Water temp is currently 80 according to the US Open facebook page.  Also major construction on I-30, so they are strongly recommending alternate routes if you're driving in. 

I rode the OLY course on Satuday, and the biggest hills are leaving T1 and then coming back in as you finish the course.  So from the race site, it looks scary, but overall is not.  There are a few rollers on the rest of the course, but not bad at all.  Parts of the course had some major gravel, but the folks from LT Fitness said that would be cleaned up by race day.

Good luck to everyone racing!     

2011-09-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3702098

User image

Expert

Yes - water temp will be right at the border next weekend.  Weather is still cooling down so I suspect it will be several degrees lower.  In fact, there was a noticeable temp difference between this last Sunday and a couple of weekends ago.  I actually thought that the water temp this past weekend was below 80F - at least in the morning when we were in it. 

The Oly bike course as we rode it was awful.  Easily the worst bike course I've seen on a triathlon.  There were a lot of cracks in those small roads. Passing will be iffy since some of the cracks are in the middle of the road.  There were sections when the road has major cracks and falling off on the right so I know people will be riding in the middle over there.   We even had about half a mile on unpaved roads - yes no asphalt at all - just gravel.  The hope is that it will be paved (and cured/dry) by race weekend.

It finally gets better when we get on John King - now that's a nice road.  Since John King goes North-South, there will likely be a tailwind going out then a headwind coming in. The rest of it (after turning on Airport) isn't bad and was the same as last year.

I wasn't able to run past the first mile of the run course as Summer Lee past Ridge is blocked off due to major construction.  There's that big hill at the start but I think the rest of the course has some slight inclines but that's about it.

I'll be there on Saturday for packet pick-up.  They have a swim practice at 1pm so I will do a short swim again.  Forecasts indicate that race temps will be in the mid-low 50F's (air temp) so I'm curious how that's going to feel on the bike (it will be awesome on the run).

Edited by m2tx 2011-09-27 12:32 PM
2011-09-27 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Yeah, facebook page actually said the temp is "predicted" to be 80 on Sunday, not that it was the current temperature.  It has felt noticeably cooler in GV Lake the last couple of weeks too, and my sleeveless wetsuit felt good on Friday, so perhaps their prediction is a bit high.

Was that unpaved section actually part of the course?  I got confused on what was course and what was detour on Saturday.  Maybe they will pave it with some nice fresh chip and seal. 

Anyone know how to contact the race director for this one?  Can't find it anywhere on their site.

2011-09-28 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Colleyville, TX
I'm the one that asked the question on their facebook and I think they misunderstood my question, according to weather.com the high for the day is going to be in 80's and I asked the water temp, I swam yesterday in Gvine at 7am and the water was definitely not 80F and according to fishingnotes.com the estimated water temp is 70F so I guess we'll just have to see. I caved and bought an xterra vortex 3 sleeveless, it was too good of a deal to pass up anyway
2011-09-28 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

I wondered about that.  Seemed like I read a couple weeks ago the water temp was 76, and I couldn't figure out how it could shoot up to 80 by Sunday.  Hope your right....I much more enjoyed my last OWS in the wetsuit. 

2011-09-28 3:03 PM

I'll confirm the statements about the bike course.  I drove it today and there were large cracks, significant buckling of asphalt and even portions of the road that were gravel.  On top of that a few railroad crossings.  Most of the bad was in the first 8 miles but I was pretty shocked to see a fairly unsafe course for such a large event in my opinion. 

Driving back to Dallas I also saw the signs about I-30 being closed.  HWY 80 to the south is an option for those going coming from Dallas/points west.

2011-09-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3704040

This was posted on slowtwitch for the US Open.  

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/reptform2.php?lake=RAY+HUBBARD&archive=latest&yearcat=current&Submit=Go

But, it also shows the same for Grapevine.

Those water temps that are on the fishing site that say 70 degrees are just an estimated temp based on their algorithms.  Here is some info on it:

Fishingnotes.com has developed a highly accurate and sophisticated water temperature modeling algorithm to determine the mean daily water temperature based on climatic and geophysical data for this lake. Some of the variables used to determine the mean daily water temperature include past weather trends, solar radiation, evaporation, lake size, and lake geometry.

I guess we can just prepare to swim without the wetsuits and consider it a nice gift if we are allowed to use them.

Edited by eherring7 2011-09-28 3:09 PM
2011-09-28 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Bib numbers came out today.  I'm number 747.  I kind of like that number. Laughing

As far as the road conditions go...it is what it is.  Don't worry about.  Nothing you can do about it.  Stay positive.  Keep your head up and watch the road.  When you get to the rough patch, play like "Paris-Roubaix", shift to a higher gear and power across the the rough stuff.

Good luck everyone.

2011-09-28 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
USAT rules is 78f or lower for wetsuit. If you're not in contention for awards, I believe you can wear a wetsuit for temps up to 83.9F. I won't be eligible for awards with my times- so I'll be wearing a wetsuit. I think I have to be pretty close to 2:00 time to get a shot at a podium...and I won't be anywhere close. My goal for this race is to beat my time from last year for all 3 sports by 5 min...and I wore a wetsuit last year so I'll be wearing a wetsuit again this year unless it is 84F in the water on Sunday.I'm not a fast swimmer but fairly decent on the bike so I have to do a lot of passing on the bike course. I won't be too aggressive on those iffy sections and will have to be extra alert. Of course, the update indicates the road will be paved by tomorrow. I'll scout it out on Saturday just to make sure I know where the most dangerous sections are.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Toyota US Open Triathlon - Sprint or Olympic Distance Rss Feed  

of 2