World Triathlon Corporation
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 37m 43s
Overall Rank = 880/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 143/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Actually slept really well the night before. Got breakfast down with no issues and was very calm. Headed down to transition to double check stuff and drop off SN bags. Sipped on water and had a gel on the way to the swim start. Finally felt some nervousness after getting marked and seeing the thousands of people at the swim start. I had planned on getting in line around 6:15, but decided to wait until my family showed up so it was closer to 6:45. I would guess there were less than a hundred people behind me in line, but I wasn't too worried about making any cutoffs anyway.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 28s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Around 7:50 I jumped off the dock and had the immediate pleasure of my right eye filling with water. Fantastic. Just closed that eye and started swimming. I stayed out to the right as we swam through the channel and had very clear water for the first few hundred yards. Kept trying to pee, but I couldn't make it happen without my wetsuit. Got out close to the turnaround and saw some people walking faster than I was swimming so I joined them and took the opportunity to relieve myself and fix my goggles. Once we hit the turnaround I just put it in cruise control and stayed relaxed. I have had half-ironman swims that felt like they took longer than this swim. It was over really fast.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all. Goal was between 1:10 and 1:20, so I swam well for me.
Transition 1
  • 07m 26s
Comments:

Volunteers got my bag and took me to the tent. Didn't rush this, but didn't lolligag around either.
Bike
  • 5h 59m 47s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 10 miles of this ride are along the river and very flat. With all of the excitement around it was difficult to take it easy. I just picked the gear I wanted to ride in and then made myself ride one gear easier. I wanted to keep a nice comfy pace through mile 80 and then re-evaluate how I was feeling. I would have been extremely boring to watch out there. Never left my saddle on a climb, stayed in aero 90% of the day, just focused on cramming calories and water down my throat. I picked up the pace a bit around mile 85 knowing it was mostly downhill and flat all the way in and I was feeling fantastic.

Goal time was between 6-7 hrs, pretty good bike ride. In hindsight, I should have gone a little harder on the bike because my legs were not the limiter on the run.

I must have said to myself 'you are doing an ironman' a hundred times out there. Good fun.

BIKE SPLIT 1: 23 mi 23 mi (1:15:40) 18.24 mi/h
BIKE SPLIT 2: 40 mi 17 mi (54:33) 18.70 mi/h
BIKE SPLIT 3: 70.5 mi 30.5 mi (1:39:27) 18.40 mi/h
BIKE SPLIT 4: 112 mi 41.5 mi (2:10:02) 19.15 mi/h
TOTAL BIKE 112 mi (5:59:42) 18.68 mi/h
Transition 2
  • 08m 55s
Comments:

Took a bathroom break here and had to wait in line. That was difficult as I was ready to get going.
Run
  • 5h 09m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Left T2 feeling waaay too good. I have heard that it doesn't matter how you feel in the beginning of an Ironman marathon, it will change. I had done the math and knew if I could do a 4:30 marathon I could break 12 hours - which was my super-top-secret-dont-tell-anyone goal. So I set out at about a 9min/m pace. It was about 2 miles in that I realized that I was in trouble. Stomach started cramping like nothing I had ever felt. I tried the bathroom, but couldn't make it happen. No problem- the day had been pretty easy up until then, it would be a disappointment to not face any adversity. I ran between aid stations, but my walks at the stations were getting longer and longer. The splits tell the whole story here. I got through the first 15 miles still doing more 'running' than walking, but soon after being teased by the finish line and heading out for the second loop things got much worse. Things are a bit of a blur from here on. I think I was waay dehydrated and probably completely depleted of calories. Ran when I could, walked when I had to. At some point between 18 and 20, I threw time goals out the window, started smiling, thanked the volunteers and policemen, and chatted it up with lots of people who were much worse off than me. Finally got close enough to hear the crowds and music and told the guy next to me 'I am going to get some of that!" Ran the last half mile and turned the corner to the finish. Somehow, all of the pain was gone. Running down the finish chute was amazing. It was actually so loud that I couldn't hear my name, but I knew what he was saying - I was an Ironman.

Not really sure. Obviously something went wrong with my nutrition plan, but don't know what. 24 hours later my stomach is still screwed up.

RUN SPLIT 1: 3.39 mi 3.39 mi (30:37) 9:01/mi
RUN SPLIT 2: 8.2 mi 4.81 mi (53:36) 11:08/mi
RUN SPLIT 3: 13.1 mi 4.9 mi (54:16) 11:04/mi
RUN SPLIT 4: 15.33 mi 2.23 mi (25:04) 11:14/mi
RUN SPLIT 5: 20.1 mi 4.77 mi (1:01:04) 12:48/mi
RUN SPLIT 6: 25.04 mi 4.94 mi (1:10:34) 14:17/mi
RUN SPLIT 7: 26.2 mi 1.16 mi (13:58) 12:02/mi
TOTAL RUN 26.2 mi (5:09:09) 11:47/mi
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the whirlwind of the finish area. Got my hat, shirt, photo, and finally met up with my family. I wasn't really sure what to do then. I was starving, but couldn't eat. My legs were too tired to want to walk around, but sitting made me feel like cramping up. Very strange feeling. I probably should have gone to medical and got an IV and something for the nausea, but I was totally out of it at that point.

Event comments:

Just a fantastic event. I will definitely return here in the future. I can't imagine a race more suited to my training.

Last updated: 2010-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:28 | 4224 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 3/4 mile upstream around an island, rest of the way straight down the river.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:59:47 | 112 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A bit hillier than I anticipated. 2 decent climbs (and descents) on the out and back section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:09:09 | 26.2 miles | 11m 48s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %7
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-06 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-09-09 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3674851

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congrats!!!!!!!  Thanks for the report!!
2011-09-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3674851

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Great report and congrats, Ironman!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed