General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-07 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics

Austin 70.3 coming up in October will be my first 70.3 as well as my first WTC race.  From my understanding so far it is a two transition area race.  Bike check-in is the day before the race.  Then race day bags can be checked in that morning, I think.

Can someone please explain a few simple things that are not obvious to those who have not done one of these bigger races before:

Do I have an actual T1 area set up?  With a small towel to dry my feet, my helmet, sunglasses, nutrition, bike shoes and other necessities?  After I get out of the swim, what happens to my wetsuit, goggles, swim cap once I leave on my bike?

What's the layout at T2 then?  I've read race reports about people coming into T2, a volunteer grabbing their bike and handing them their run bag.  What happens to my bike and bike shoes, helmet?  Or anything else I leave behind before going into the run?

Once I cross the finish line, how do I go about collecting all my stuff?  Do I have to return to the swim start/T1 and get my bike and other leftovers from T2?

And finally, I've thought about another thread entirely for this, do most folks use the wetsuit strippers or just do it themselves?  I can get my wetsuit off in just a few seconds, is it really worth it to let them do it?

Thanks for the answers!  I'm sure all this might be explained at pre-race meetings, but I'd rather have my plan figured out now.  If there's any other differences between one of these big races and the Oly's and sprints that I've done please feel free to comment (but don't say the difference is course length!).

2011-09-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3676232

New user
Pasco, Wa
Subject: RE: First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics

The Oly I did last weekend was a two transition area race.  I'm sure this varies a bit from race to race, but with my race packet, there was 2 plastic bags, each marked with my race number.  The instructions were to place all the stuff you needed for T2 (shoes, hat, nutrition, belt, etc) in one of the sack, and drop it off race morning at the T2 area. 

Your setup in T1 was just like normal - bike rack with a spot below for towel, nutrition, etc.  Our instructions were such that once you had gotten everything set for the bike, your wetsuit, towel, goggles...anything left in T1 had to go in the other plastic sack marked with your race number.  If it didn't go in the sack, it didn't get picked up.  So that was kind of annoying in that it added extra time - but I can see why they do it that way.

At T2, there were helpers who quickly handed me my sack and stood next to me while I took off my helmet, shoes, etc - anything I took off, went back into the sack that my run stuff came out of.

At the end of the race (which finished where T2 was) they had moved my sack from T1, and everying was in one spot at the end.  A bike, and 2 bags.

I can't help you on the major differences between a Oly and a 70.3 (have not done one yet) but as I am mentally preparing myself to commit to one, I know one of the things I will need to figure out is nutrition.  For an Oly I can survive on 2 gel packs for the entire thing, and I know for a HIM I will need more than that.

Good Luck!  Hope this helps.

2011-09-07 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: RE: First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics

Take a look at the Athlete Guide at the Austin 70.3 web site.   I took a quick look and it appears as though you put your Swim to bike bag and bike to run bags next to your bike in T1/T2. 

http://c28922.r22.cf1.rackcdn.com/2010/12/Ironman-70.3-Austin-AIG.pdf  

One key note is that all your stuff has to be inside one of the 2 bags - no loose items are allowed in transition.  You're swim stuff goes in the swim to bike bag after you've changed into your bike gear.  Make sure your swim and biking gear make into a bag - otherwise you risk losing it. 

The wristband you get during check in will allow you to reclaim your bike and transition gear after the race.  

IMO - use the wet suit strippers.

Good luck!

2011-09-07 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Climbinggonzo - 2011-09-07 10:33 AM

Austin 70.3 coming up in October will be my first 70.3 as well as my first WTC race.  From my understanding so far it is a two transition area race.  Bike check-in is the day before the race.  Then race day bags can be checked in that morning, I think.

Can someone please explain a few simple things that are not obvious to those who have not done one of these bigger races before:

Do I have an actual T1 area set up?  With a small towel to dry my feet, my helmet, sunglasses, nutrition, bike shoes and other necessities?  After I get out of the swim, what happens to my wetsuit, goggles, swim cap once I leave on my bike?

What's the layout at T2 then?  I've read race reports about people coming into T2, a volunteer grabbing their bike and handing them their run bag.  What happens to my bike and bike shoes, helmet?  Or anything else I leave behind before going into the run?

Once I cross the finish line, how do I go about collecting all my stuff?  Do I have to return to the swim start/T1 and get my bike and other leftovers from T2?

And finally, I've thought about another thread entirely for this, do most folks use the wetsuit strippers or just do it themselves?  I can get my wetsuit off in just a few seconds, is it really worth it to let them do it?

Thanks for the answers!  I'm sure all this might be explained at pre-race meetings, but I'd rather have my plan figured out now.  If there's any other differences between one of these big races and the Oly's and sprints that I've done please feel free to comment (but don't say the difference is course length!).

I did this race a couple of years back with the following setup:

The day before we had to check in our bike AND T2 bag. Race day we were allowed to put hydration on our bikes, but were not allowed to setup T2 on the ground. VERY ANNOYING.

The day of the race, we just put hydration and nutrition on our bikes, got bused over the swim start and T1. We were allowed to setup T1.

Coming out of the water, we had to bag all of items in T1. They took these bags over to T2, and we were able to get our bags when we were done racing.

Here is my RR:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

If they are now letting you setup up T2 on race day, that would make the process just fine. It was very annoying to have to dig through a bag in T2 to get ready for my run. Otherwise, logistically, it worked out fine.

2011-09-07 12:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ditto what KSH said - I did this race in 2009.
Only other comment - there are no volunteers to "take" your bike and hand you your bag like there is in a full Ironman. You have to rack the bike yourself in your designated spot, which will also be where your T2 bag is.

My race report

EDIT: You'll put everything from the swim (wetsuit, goggle, etc.) in your T1 bag during T1. They will bus your T1 bags up to the finish line and they'll be available for pick up after the race. That way you don't have to go back down to T1. I even believe this was mandatory (check the athlete guide), and anything left at T1 would be tossed.

Most people use the wetsuit strippers - saves lots of time unless you have ninja self wetsuit removal skills.

Edited by lisac957 2011-09-07 12:10 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ironman race (70.3) questions about transitions and logistics Rss Feed