Ironhead Race Productions
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 36s
Overall Rank = 14/152
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

4.5 hours of sleep thanks to not getting back from Austin until 12:30. Coffee and Clif bar. No issues setting up transition.
Event warmup:

No warmup
Swim
  • 11m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in a fog the whole morning due to getting just 4.5 hours sleep, forgot to zip up tri top which may have caused some drag. Started to the left of the pack but had to avoid a few who strayed off course. Felt very comfortable in the water but i was probably sighting way too frequently due to being surrounded by more swimmers then usual.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure tri top is fully zipped or don't where it at all. stop worrying about where everyone else is and sight every 6-10 strokes like in practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

20 seconds behind best in AG. Did not have a bad rack position. I need to start practicing having clips pre installed in pedals. Shoes didn't seem that long to put on but it's worth trying to see if it makes a difference.
Bike
  • 42m 51s
  • 16.78 miles
  • 23.50 mile/hr
Comments:

started HR monitor late because I forgot to get it ready before the race in my lack of sleep fog. I may have been first road bike to finish, still get great pleasure in passing TT bikes. Several times found myself in between gears.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

:18 behind fastest in AG. Unclipped, dismounted, ran to rack, bike shoes off fast, struggled getting running shoes on a bit because I did not loosten the laces before the race in my fog..

Learn to leave bike shoes clipped in. Make sure laces in running shoes are loosened when setting up transition.
Run
  • 19m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not feel like my cadence was fast enough but looked at Garmn and I was doing 6:30 pace. Had a guy drafting me for the first mile then he fell back. Ran with eventual female winner then she pulled away after I told her she was 2nd female at the time. Only one other runner passed me other then the female winner.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much drank some Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fog I was in from lack of sleep caused a few issues. Sighting too much probably slowed me dow a lot in the swim.

Event comments:

Typical well organized no frills Ironhead race. Had one small issue because volunteer had given me wrong chip at chip table. Timing guy figured out they gave me 464 instead of 484 because of times I had on my Garmin so all was resolved quickly. Note to self: check number on chip they give you next time. Amazing that the top 3 50 year old's beat all the 40+ age groupers.

Last updated: 2011-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:11 | 500 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 46/152
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangle out over and back, same route as the half marathon but turned at first yellow bouys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:51 | 16.78 miles | 23.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 16/152
145 ave, 159 max, fairly consistent splits
Wind: None
Course: Basically an out and back on 4 lane boulevard
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:58 | 03.11 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 10/152
157 ave, 167 max.since garmin was in Bike mode did not have mile splits. Garmin had course at 3.05mi
Course: out and back loop around park that dobles back on itself and confuses those not familiar with course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 12:09 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: PrairieMan Sprint Triathlon

2011-09-13 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3681007

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: PrairieMan Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race!  Knew you were a good runner, but your bike leg is right up there too.  Now we just need to form a Grapevine chapter of oversighters anonymous! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PrairieMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed