General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need swim advice just 7wks to IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-12 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: Need swim advice just 7wks to IM

Just 7 wks to 1st IM attempt & my L shoulder is worrying me.  I'm slow (~2:20/100M for mile+) with no real swim background before getting into tri 3 yrs ago.  This yr's swim vol is only ~130kM. Over summer I've had bouts of what I think has been mild "swimmer's shoulder".  It seems to get better when I back off.  Hoped decreasing my swim volume would rest it enough to resolve.  I did good (for me) 4k straight pool swim 3d ago (1:32 & pretty fresh at finish).  Then at this AM's swim the shoulder was sore/tired again & I altered my hour workout to less distance (2250M) & more easy drills.  This PM the shoulder feels fine.

Not surprisingly I breathe to my right, although I can bilat breathe some.  Been working on breathing every pool session entire summer so  doubt I could become fully comfortable breathing left in just a few more weeks. 

Prob will not be able to sustain the 10+k/wk swim vol in my training plan during this peak phase without risking irritating the shoulder so much I miss my IM.  I know my stroke needs help long term, but short term I'm trying to get through that IM swim 1st.  Should I take a week completely off to rest the shoulder (tough during peak phase), or maybe cut back to just swimming enough to keep my BOP stroke together until my IM?  

2011-09-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3682572

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Need swim advice just 7wks to IM
I would go to a sports clinic and have the Dr look at it.  They can probably prescribe some physical therapy.  The therapist can help you with something, possibly, to alleviate the pain and also keep you training.    I had some shoulder pain, which I chalked up to a "swimmers shoulder"  and it turned out they gave me stretches/strengthening exercises that almost immediately made it better.  You still have enough time to work on this if you go soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need swim advice just 7wks to IM Rss Feed