United States
Rev 3
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 24s
Overall Rank = 116/220
Age Group = 45 to 49
Age Group Rank = 16/28
Pre-race routine:

Jim, myself and kids drove up from KY on Sat.am. It took us 4.5 hours, and it seem to take forever, a lot of the drive is on country roads (there has to be an easier way to get there). Got to Cedar Point around noon and it was pouring but cleared shortly after, went directly to expo and checked in. Kids were anxious to get to park/rides, so we headed straight to hotel Breakers and checked in there. Jim headed to park with kids while I stayed at hotel to get ready. I felt unprepared for this race, not training wise, I just felt I had not givin this race the attention in planing that I should have. By Thrusday before the race, I still had no idea what I was going to wear. I am not sure why this occurred but I guess there were other things on my mind, anyway. Jim came back with the kids around 5.30, they had a great time but were exhausted, apparently this is a perfect time to go to the park, no lines. I think we all would have just loved to order in and hit the bed but we had made plans with Haley for dinner, lucky we just stayed in the park so there was basically a two minute drive which worked out great. It was nice seeing her.
Event warmup:

It was a rough night, poor Conor was up complaining of stomach aches and then finally threw up, I assume to many rides and not eating well. I got up around 3am and had a muscle milk and went back to bed, but too late I was up and just tossed and turned until around 6am when I thought I had enough. Got up and got ready with body markings and got the rest of my stuff togther. We left the kids sleeping and Jim drove me to the transition where i pumped tires and set up, started getting butterflies. I left there around 7.30 and headed back to hotel to eat a half a bagel and get that damm wet suit on. It has been almost two years since I put a wetsuit on and I think its been several years since I had to wear one for a race. This was a problem, I felt restricted and didn't like it at all. Also, I have been having age related eye sight issues lately and this, I think added to my nerve problems, I tried to go over and over the swim course in my head. Family headed down to the water, a real short distance from hotel and it was really neat they way the flags were all set up, very well done. It certainly made you stop and think for a moment. The water looked calm but the condition of the water was horrible. I walked in for a quick swim and it was thick black mud, now I am now kidding, water that was black has night. It also left a residue, it cleared after a couple of hundered yards but real nasty. Swam for a short distance and got out and headed to the start, said good-bye to family and I was off.
Swim
  • 45m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is my weak point, but add my other issues and I seemed to screw this up. I was hoping for 35/40 min swim, I was doing ok until the last turn, which you would think I was home free, I lost sight of the bouy and seem to go off course a little, took in soom water and began to feel over heated, had the dry heaves, not nice at all. I was not happy when I got out of the water but I was done.
What would you do differently?:

try to practice more with wetsuit
try to practice more openwater swims
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 06m 19s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out happy on the bike. I had two bottle of Infinite and a bottle of water. ( I was going by what I had been taking on my training rides, however, most of my training rides had been at 6.30am with little or no sun.) About 5 miles into the bike I reached around and realized I lost a bottle of Infinite, crap!!!!. So I figured I would use the course fluid and I would be ok, finished first bottle of INfinite in about 20 miles and here is where I think I screwed up. I took the aid station fluid and only finished about 3/4 of the bottle and then statred on water. Looking back now, I don't think I took in enough, especially for a race situation and the weather seem to warm up. But over all I was happy with the bike, felt strong and hit the hills with speed which is what I have been practicing. The roads were not very smooth, except for some of country roads, which look like they had been done recently, there was a lot of bumps. Too much traffic on the way back to the park.

This is where I think I should have put more time into planning. I did not think the nutritin part clear, at all and shame on me. I have done 2 IM, I should have know better. But life had got in the way and I have been feeling unsettled and I don't think my mind was exactly into this race. I just hope this was a wake up call for Lake Placid and I will be more prepared next time. ( at least I hope)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 2h 25m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is the result of how well you plan on the bike, I think you know the outcome. I should have been able to run at least half with no problems but I felt tired the entire run. It was a struggle but I finished. A suffle most of the way with long walks through aid stations. Not a bad course, people were great and fun, which did not make this as painful as it should have been. I will say when the sun came out it was a little too warm but enough aid stations. Also too much sand residue on my feet, in my shorts, made for uncomfortable feeling. Finsh line was incredible, such a great feeling to carry the American flag down the chute, I was very happy

be better prepared for nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Jim was at the end and saw me in the chute, I love finishing these races, there is so much excitement at the end. Wlaked around a little and drank a bottle of water and a container of Muscle Milk ( the best drink, ever!)

Event comments:

Great race, water was out of thier control, roads are also out of thier control, so race organization was awesome, would do this race again.

Last updated: 2011-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:32 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course: the course out across lake and then back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:06:19 | 56 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: flat with some short hills, roads were horrible.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal