Ironman North America
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 23m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This entire day was the culmination of a years worth of preparation. I remember standing on the terrace with DJdavey and watching the swim start and thinking.....I have to do this, I WILL do this next year. So the next day after volunteering, We signed up and that began the long painful, interesting, fun, and exciting journey. So fast forward one year, one engagement, home purchased, and lots of coaching by Dave: which included butt kicking, butt chewing, encouragement, support, and just being a great friend, and here we are, race morning.Woke up at 3:40am and began to get ready for the day. Hopped into the shower and tried to relax a little and calm down. Packed up all of the gear bags for the day, filled water bottles, poured gatorade, and everything packed and ready to go. Met up with Dave Jesse (DJdavey) and loaded up the van with the gear. We drove down to the race course and got the special needs bags dropped off and got all suited up at transition. I walked over to tiny red x and got her all ready for the 112 mile bike ride. Met up with Dave again and got all marked up by a mutual friend (Deb). After the marking was complete, the transition bags dropped off, and the bikes ready to go, Dave and I headed down to the water to wait. Sat with Jeff (Force) and talked with him for awhile about what the day will bring, and before I knew it, it was time to get suited up and start my journey to become and ironman.
Swim
  • 1h 37m
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

So as I was wading into the water, it finally dawned on me that I was actually going to begin my Ironman dream today. This had been something that was a year in the making, all culminating in one day and one journey. I thanked Dave just before we parted ways and he told me one thing which I carried throughout the day "you got this" I swam out at 6:45am and got my position somewhat close to the boat ramp, and realized that this was a less than ideal position for someone who wanted to have a clean and safe swim. I backed off a bit and chatted with those around me. The national anthem was sung and before I knew it, the gun went off and we were on our way! I found myself in a bit of a scuffle for the first 100-200m but after that, I was able to find a bit of a rhythm and began to cruise. I found someone to draft off of for a little bit, but then they began having problems with straight lines so I abandoned that idea. I continued to swim relatively calmly and without issues up until the first buoy which turned into a bit of a scrum. As I rounded the first buoy I heard a chorus of Moo's erupting from those around me, at which point a laughed a bit but kept on swimming. I got around the next turn and really settled down and into a nice comfy pace, that is until I was assaulted by the "doggy-paddler" I was swimming along minding my own business when I came upon someone doggy paddling, well as I was trying to pass her, she decided that it would be a good time to switch strokes and start to breast stoke, well with that came the nice strong kick to get her going. Well her kick managed to land squarely on my left eye knocking my goggles off a bit. I stopped, regained my composure, fixed the goggle situation and started up again. I made the next turn and cruised to my next loop. The rest of the swim was uneventful and was clean and clear. I rounded the last buoy and thought to myself that I was going to be an Ironman that day! I exited the water and tried to get acclimated to land life again. I made my way to the wetsuit strippers and saw Steve (local bike shop guy) and got him to strip me, and off I went into transition.
What would you do differently?:

nadda, I was happy as hell considering this was my first Ironman swim ever!
Transition 1
  • 09m 23s
Comments:

I was not in much of a hurry going into transition. I wanted to soak in the atmosphere of the crowd as I made my way up the helix. I enjoyed every minute of the screaming and yelling fans! Made my way into transition where I was able to get dried off, and get ready for the bike journey.

go a little faster and not sight-see as much!
Bike
  • 7h 44m 56s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Well the bike was what I was looking forward to and looking forward to forgetting all at the same time. I started off and made sure that I settled into a nice easy pace. I managed to keep this steady pace for the first 30 or so miles which was nice, and I was encouraged by this! Well I made it to the hills and suffered up them one at a time cursing myself and asking "why the he** did I sign up for this??!" Well I continued on eating and drinking every 10 minutes or so, but after a while I began to get a double dose of pain and suffering. My body started to not like the gels I was taking in and was giving me hints as to what the coming attraction could be if I continued. So I switched to combos and fruit only through the aid stations. This helped a little bit and got be through the rest of the bike. I also increased my water intake to help dilute the sugar is my stomach, which also helped a bit. As I was finishing up my first loop, I thought to myself, meh not much further and it shouldn't be a problem at all. Well then the second showing of stomach issues and cramps began. I had to walk a bunch of the hills remaining just to not cramp up too badly in my quads. I also managed to earn some really nice blisters on my heels due to the walking up the hills which would lead to a very fun run later. When I completed my last loop and began the stick to get back, I knew that no matter what, today I would be an Ironman! I knew I could have and should have been able to go harder on the bike, but for my first Ironman I was pleased! This ride was very interesting in a number of ways.....all of which epitomize what Ironman is all about. Every time I would come to a hill I would see people in lawn chairs, under tents kicking back with a nice cold beer. And so many times I thought to myself, is this heat and pain worth it? I could easily pack it in, sit in a chair and have a cold one.....but I would give in.....I couldn't give in....I suffered through, said a little DTFU and finished strong.

work out the nutrition and make sure that I have a back up plan if things go awry.
Transition 2
  • 11m 54s
Comments:

Got into transition with a little pain due to the blisters. I took some time and got the help of a volunteer to bandage up my feet, drink some cold water, and prepare for the run. I also grabbed my Redbull and headed out to get sunscreened and begin the final leg of my journey.

wear socks on the bike??
Run
  • 6h 38m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Well now to the final leg of the Ironman day. As I left transition, my legs seemed to not be connected to the rest of my body. I began to walk down the ramp in transition to the street when I noticed my good friends Johann, Auburn, and Jake. I ran down to them, gave them all hugs and continued down the road. Johann ran next to me for a little bit which helped to get my spirits up and get me going again. I finished up part of my redbull and tossed the rest and kept on running. As I ran down State street I focused not on the pain, but on the people all over cheering all of us on and I just smiled and continued to run. I made it to about mile 3 when I needed to walk a bit and stretch out. I walked through the aid station when I met up with this guy....can't remember his name for the life of me right now, but he was hurting but good. He and I talked for a bit and ran on and off for the next 5 or so miles which really helped us both suffer through. It was about mile 8 that my stomach started to not feel as good as it was before. I ran into Dave-not literally, but he and I walk together for a little bit and he gave me some good words of encouragement and nutrition ideas and off he and I went. I began to switch from the sugary drinks and soda to the salty and protein rich fruits and snacks. After down a few of these things for the next 3 aid stations I made it to mile 10 at which point the stomach was still not having it. I ended up meeting up with Bob23. He was another fellow Donkey so he and I ran and talked and ran and talked. We were both sore and wanting to be done but we pushed each other. We would talk about the day, the weather, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and just about everything else under the sun. We would always set a small goal to run to and get there, walk for a bit, and do it all over again. This is how we made it through the rest of the course. One foot in front of the other, one mile at a time. My blisters started to really act up a little more than half-way through the run and all I wanted to do was quit. I saw all the medical tents, medical personnel, and ambulances around, and I just thought that the pain could go away if I just walked over and stopped....but then Dave's little voice came into my head......DTFU Sally! This got me going and kept me going, when I finally told myself that I made it this far, and that there is no way in hell that I was not going to finish! So Bob and I continued make it through one mile at a time until before we knew it we were by state street ready to make the final turn. Bob took off and ran the rest of the way in, I hobbled along a little and finally made the turn onto Capitol Square and saw Stacey Nash and Amy Friese and got a little emotional realizing that I was going to be an Ironman that day. Amy ran/walked me up to the corner at which point I saw Dave down the road and decided that I needed to run the rest of the way in. Dave gave me a high five and told me to get moving, and I ran down the road and into the finishers Chute. I heard a bunch of eeeaaawww's from other Donkeys, saw my parents, and saw Mindy all cheering me on. I ran up to Mindy, gave her a big sweaty kiss, and proceeded to head down the chute. I soaked in the atmosphere, high-fived all of the spectators I could, and had the biggest smile on my face. It finally dawned on me that I was an Ironman!! I got close to the line when I saw Mike Reilly, ran up to him gave him a high-five, and heard those immortal words I had waited an entire year to hear.......PATRICK SCHULTZ, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

not one thing!
Post race
Warm down:

I was caught by Tracy (gofishtlp) at the finish line. I received my medal from the female overall winner Jessica Jacobs. I got a hug from her for finishing my first Ironman which was cool. Tracy helped me get water, my mylar blanket, my shirt, and hat. She also helped me get to the picture taking area where I got a finishers photo snapped. I then hobbled off to the med tent to get checked out with my blisters and my possible dehydration. I was told that nothing could be done about the blisters and that my body would start to rehydrate a little at a time. I was down 7.5 pounds on the day, but I was happy as happy could be, I was an Ironman! I met up with Dave, my parents, Stacey, Amy, and Mindy. Talked for a little while and then got my bike and headed for the hotel for a much needed rest!
Thanks to all of the volunteers and spectators out there, I could have not done this without the help of all of them!! Thank you so much! Thanks to Mindy for being supportive and understanding with all of the training, complaining, etc over the past year, I owe her a debt of gratitude, Thanks Mindy I love you! Thanks to all of my friends understanding why I couldn't do as much with them as I wanted to due to training. And a big thanks to Dave, who as I said before kicked my butt, pushed me, and inspired me to finish what I started and become an Ironman! Thanks Dave, I couldn't have done it alone!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not much, I could and trained harder, but overall, I was very satisfied with just completing my first Ironman.

Last updated: 2011-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:37:00 | 3862 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:44:56 | 112 miles | 14.45 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops and a stick
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 11:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:38:50 | 26.2 miles | 15m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-14 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greendale, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3685530

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Once again Great Job. Looks like you had a great journey and you stuck it out to reach your goal of being an Ironman!
2011-09-14 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Madison
Great job Patrick - way to DTFU Sally!!!  Loved your big smile and energetic finish and so happy that I could catch you at the finish!  You are an Ironman!!
2011-09-14 7:20 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great first IM!  Loved seeing you out there a few times getting it done!

2011-09-14 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Patrick!! You totally did it - you stuck with it when things got bad, worse and just plain miserable but you kept going! Super proud of you man - way to DTFU sally!!!!
2011-09-14 7:33 AM

User image

Elite
What a tough day for a first Ironman.  It was great seeing you out on the course so many times on Sunday.  Looks like we had identical runs.

2011-09-14 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Great job, Patrick, and congratulations on becoming an Ironman! It was my pleasure to have hung with you and Davey before the race. You looked and sounded ready and competed as a donkey should.
2011-09-14 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Way to go Patrick.  Thanks for all the smiles throughout the run.  Sorry your day didn't go as planned, never the less....YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!
2011-09-14 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
stellar frickin' job Patrick...  way to get it done and congrats on being an Ironman...!!! 
2011-09-14 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Tough day but you rock Patrick!! Congrats Ironman! Can't wait to see you and Mindy in October!

FYI...Davey's voice came into my head many times too...
2011-09-14 11:07 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

EEEEAAAAWWWW!!!

YOU! ARE! AN! IRONMAN!!!

2011-09-14 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Awesome race, IRONMAN! So happy for you...tough as nails, buddy.

2011-09-14 3:22 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Wait - are you sure you finished in over 16 hours?  I thought you came in earlier than that.
2011-09-14 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Way to tough it out and not join me on the lawn chair drinking a beer on the Midtown hill.  Super job Ironman!

2011-09-15 6:43 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
when the going go tough........you got going.........straight to the finish line!!!  so proud of you dude, way to gut it out and reach that goal.  you ARE an IRONMAN!!!  (and nobody can EVER take that away from you!)
2011-09-15 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Great job Ironman!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed