Race Revolutions
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Event warmup:

I decided the shoulder was too sore to risk swimming any extra. I didn't see the point of running boefre this race.
Swim
  • 20m 26s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was sweating this swim. I had not swam much at all due to hurting my shoulder. 800 is a haul for me without a wetsuit regardless.

Although I had my doubts during the swim I held it together and finished it at a decent pace. Xterra folks are much faster than the average tri swimmer. I had to keep it going to not be the last out of both waves out of water. This race had a theme - hangin' with the ladies. I swam mostly with the ladies from the wave behind me (+ 1 min interval)
What would you do differently?:

Not hurt my shoulder so I can swim more. I had planned on being better prepared for the swim. I can swim that distance better
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

This is as tired as I can remember coming out of the water. Death march to T1 and still heart punding while getting on the bike

swim more so I am not wrecked coming out of the water
Bike
  • 1h 34m 18s
  • 13 miles
  • 8.27 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was crazy for the 1st 4 miles of the bike. The poor ladies heard me coming behind them and quickly wanted me to pass if I was fortunate to catch anyone. Goal was to stay on my side of the handlebars and I accomplished that. I walked the huge sand hill both loops unfortunately. The Cammelbak was still a bit cold during the ride from freezing the water the night before. I was out by the time I arrived in T2 but I had plenty.

I need much more confidence to take an off-road course more agressively. I enjoyed parts of the course but I was clearly not racing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

better but not in any hurry for sure
Run
  • 55m 25s
  • 4 miles
  • 13m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Parts of the off road run course were not possible to run - trees everywhere and hard to determine what was woods and what was the course. I walked a good portion of the off road section hoping to have something for the sandy bake in the sun section around the lake. I managed a 9-10' mile pace both loops on the open portion. Walking 1/2 the run course will hurt your split time by a bunch. The heat and sand were a lot to handle. A guy stopped walking and decided to give me a challenge to the finish and I had plenty to fight back which told me I had a lot more that I didn't use in this race.

Hard to imagine that run was good for 11th in AG but it was crazy hot by the time we were running.
Post race
Warm down:

Find Mark congratulate a few other finishers and say hi to my wife. Keri surprised me by coming out to cheer with Rachel while I was running. It was good to see her even though I didn't do a good job of acknowledging how happy I was to see her while running. It was really great that they both managed to find us and check out this race for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swimming
Lack of experience on the mountain bike
lack of traction and incredible heat on the run

Event comments:

This was a good decision. I decided the goal was to finish and not race this one. I'm glad to finish a race and be happy about just finishing. Quite a few did not complete this race and I'm happy I made it and wasn't last in any of the 3 sections. I'm not hooked and ready to do more of these but I am very happy I did this one. Who knows if it rains a bit more before this race and it pops up again next year I may give it another shot.

Last updated: 2011-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:26 | 875 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: n/a
Course: clock-wise 2 bouy course
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:18 | 13 miles | 8.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/20
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:25 | 04 miles | 13m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/20
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-15 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: XTERRA Magnolia Hill

2011-09-15 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3688222

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Magnolia Hill
Great report and awesome job at the race.  Race day conditions were BRUTAL - the sand, the heat, the super silly run.  They could have been really mean and had us finish uphill on sand or had us scramble out over the bluff instead of on the grassy section.  You did that day what others could not; 120 entrants and only 105 finishers that is about 13% washout rate.   Congrats again and hope to see you out there at others.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Magnolia Hill Rss Feed