World Triathlon Corporation
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 15s
Overall Rank = 204/847
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/115
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed at 9:30 pm and slept reasonably well for a pre-race night. I wasn't to worry because I had a good night the day before and because this was my second time in Muskoka and I knew what to expect on race day. Breakfast: I had three slices of bread with sour cream and honey, tea and a banana. We were staying at a rented cottage in South Portage so my wife took me to Deerhurst and d me off at 6:20 am. Plenty of time to set up my stuff.
Event warmup:

No warm up for me.
Swim
  • 37m 2s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since I'm a bad swimmer, I'm happy with my performance. I improved my navigation which was a problem last year and I was efficient in terms of the energy/speed. I enjoyed the swim and managed to shave 1:30 minutes from last year.
What would you do differently?:

I need swimming lessons!!!!
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

I'm never fast in T1. I had some trouble with my tri tank and I lost some seconds deciding not to put on the arm warmers. I put on my socks in T1.

Practice more to incorporate the routine.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 50s
  • 94 kms
  • 30.68 km/hr
Comments:

I was aiming for a 3 hr time. I lost some 90 sec when I had to stop to put the chain back in place after changing gears on a rough patch of asphalt (75k).
I pushed hard but not enough on the first half and may be too hard after I had the incident with the chain.

As much as love my road bike I feel that I need to upgrade to a TT bike. I have a lot to improve on the engine as well. Need to spend more hours on the saddle. I know that I can be faster If I train better.Also, I should have kept my pace after the stop instead of trying to recover some of the lost ground by pushing hard in the hilly part.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I had put on my socks in T1 so didn't waste time in T2.
I got off the bike, cross over the time mat and then I step on something (may be a rock or a CO2 cartage that was on the asphalt) with my left foot. That really hurt.

Next time I will get off the bike in my cycling shoes and run on them.
Run
  • 1h 54m 50s
  • 21 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

I'm now happy with my time even though that I was 4 min slower than last year. Given the weather conditions I don't think I could have done any better. Right from the start I felt tired and decided to adjust my pace to a 5:10 min/km. On the 4km, an acute pain on my stomach forced me to slow down. I thought it was caused by the intake of gels during the bike portion so I decided to only drink water at the following aid stations, and I did so till the end. The pain receded and I got back to may 5:10 pace reaching the 14 km. From there to the finish line I was slower on every km. I entertained myself calculating my finish time and my numbers were showing that I was not going to be faster than in 2010.
That was somewhat disappointing but then I found myself running the last km, and the pain mutated to joy when I saw my son first, then my two daughters, and finally my wife, Marina as I was crossing the finish line.

Review my nutrition plan.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think that the high mid day temperature was an important factor that I was not counting in my nutrition plan.

Last updated: 2011-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:02 | 1900 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/115
Overall: 252/847
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:50 | 94 kms | 30.68 km/hr
Age Group: 31/115
Overall: 239/847
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Road surface was poor somewhere between the 8K and the 16K, and again between the 70k and 85k. Lots of fallen water bottles, CO2s, a watch, and I saw a woman who lost the saddle after going through a rough patch!!! The rest of the route was in good condition.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:50 | 21 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 24/115
Overall: 215/847
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-15 2:03 PM

User image

Orangeville, ON
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

2011-09-15 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3688283

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka

Very impressive results...especially pushing thru the GI issues on the run and still legging out a great time.

Congrats!

2011-09-16 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3688547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muskoka
What he said! Awesome time, considering the pain, GI, and chain! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muskoka Rss Feed