General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 49s
Overall Rank = 72/388
Age Group = clydes
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

As always this is a favortie race of mine. Being that I have been in Elkhart for 30 years, it is nice to wake up and walk to transition, then back home for a break prior to race.

Today I woke up and had the typical breakfast - Pop Tart, picke Juice, and tossed in a Caffe Latte Perpeteum. Has been a good combo and will stay with it.

Today was a little colder than normal, but I like it like that. Heat typically slows me dwon, not today - it is perfect. So after Transition set UP I jogged back home for a cleaner and then walked back to get on wetsuit and hop in water to swim for 5 mins or so
Event warmup:

Jogged and swam a little
Swim
  • 30m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

After a few years of experience I figured out my key. Wait in line and pee a bunch - Then get into the water at my TT start and just walk as far as I can without blowing up the HR - I know I can walk faster than I swim, so just work my way in and then get going.

I dove in when the water was waist level - so much further than most and started to swim. One minor oooops - I forgot the first right side buoy and was too far right and had to swim back thanks to the guidance of a kayak yelling at me to get left. after that hiccup, I kept a steady pace all the way, nothing too hard or easy, just solid. But somehow it took longer to hit the corner. Oh well, must be part of the oooops in the begiinging. But even the way back, I aimed straight for the out ramp and did a good job of going straight at it and still my time was longer than it ever has been. I was confused at my results but did better overall in AG, but less in OA.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a bit harder andhit the buoys in the beginning better. I could have gave a bit more here, but many people think this was longer than normal. Still ended lower overall so it means I could spend more time on speed - probably too much on endurance at this time with IMWI being the end goal
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

This went a bit better because I stripped the suit a bit earlier in the water by getting it filled with water to slip off faster, still stuck on heels but it did peeel well. Wioth such a long run into transition this was a good transition, could have cut off 15-30sec with efficiency, but will take it

not get heels stuck and peel better
could have less to get on to go but was able to get feet in shoes on bike so it went well
Bike
  • 1h 17m 57s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to get up to speed pretty well on the ride. I quickly got on the bike and rode into town. The shoes were a little bit of an issue roling thru town, but by Off The Rail I was set and gone. Worked up the first hill towards Lime Kiln and off we go.

The first legs felt good. I recall the wind in our face from the NW, so it would be a struggle out, but the reward is the return. I overtook quite a few people going out and felt pretty good, but knew I did not have quite the pop in the legs I had in the past. But was going fairly well to Irish Hill. I made it out there with no real issue and set myself up to climb - no issue, even passed aguy who passed me prior to the hill and was 1/4 way up when I started. Jeanne and the boys were up there when I crested.

After that it was a crusher down hill to the turn. And then South we went. The wind was tough to battle, but gotto fly it home. At the turn I was under 20.5 mph and I really wanted to be close to 24mph today. I do not think it is going to happen. But put inthe effort I could. Still no pop coming home, but watched the average speed climb slowly on the way back.

I just hammer out what I could and slowly got it there. On the way back I averaged closer to 22.5mph. Not quite what I wanted, but a good effort nonetheless on legs that just did not have it today. Pushed it home to the finish and tried not to completely destroy the legs on the hills on lime kiln knowing htat in less than 3 iles I am home

I might need to rest and recover better in the future. I think the legs have some issues that will require a better paln for next year, as for now we continue forward. IMWI here we come , but run first today
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Came back in and popped a wheelie and bike flew out under my legs. People were looking at me funny, but getting legs over the bar would be tough today so this was next best thing. Got into transiton and popped everything on and off quickly and ran out the chute - long run by the way.

Not much - this went well
Run
  • 52m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

After coming out the chute, I was feeling pretty good. I think I was close to leading the race and wanted to keep it up. The first segment past Pt Elkhart rolls up and made it tough to maintain pace, but humped what I could. Then I passed Paul G and knew I was right up there.

I just kept pushing to maintain the lead. But those hills are wicked. I made it up Cty A with water on and in me. I hit the turn towards the lake and had to pwer walk about 30 sec to get legs ready again. I was ready to run agian and pushed it into the rollers back there. I did have to walk a bit up some the hills, but tried. At the turn I noticed I was about 2 mins ahead of second and about 4 mins ahead of third. Teh problem is that 2nd was coming fast. Hopefully I can hold the gap on him. I rolled out of the back road and did not see him until we hit Cty A again. He caught me and off he went fast. If I could only run!

Oh well, hold the gap and maybe I can survive. AND this segment starts down hill. I did pick up the pace and felt faster going down hill, but he was faster. It did pull me down hill faster and probably helped put a bigger gap between 3rd and me.

At the end we turned right towards Hammann hill and I just tried to maintain a good feel unitl the hill knowing it will crush me. Heads up move as I hit the hill I was still able to run up about 2/3rds before a quick walk into a run again to the turn.

I walked the turn and about 50 yds or less to catch the breathe and then took my momentum down hill into the final mile. I pushed as much as I could to get the the final line. I even was able to sprint a bit at the end to the line. Grunting and slobbing I went in hard.

Splits
8:31
8:32
8:26
8:22
8:54
7:48
6:56 (finish)

Run more and train for more speed prior.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and cooled off. Got some water and food to taper out. I socialized a little but had to get Will to his last soccer game today so the running continues

Event comments:

One of my favorite races and venues - I am a little partial.

Last updated: 2011-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 104/388
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:57 | 27.96 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 20/388
Wind: Some
Course: out and back with two segments of loop and tail
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:43 | 06.21 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 158/388
Course: Out and about with lots of rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-18 6:40 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-09-18 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3691338

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Well, it's about time you got this in!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed