United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 41m
Overall Rank = 25/422
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little late - 4:15. Wanted to try to get down there when transition opened at 5:15, but arrived closer to 5:30 and it was already pretty packed in the parking lot. It was also quite dark, so you had to be careful getting to the main area.

Ate an Aussie bite, red bean mochie, star bucks double shot, and large coconut juice on the drive down. Also had some blueberries.

Took a gel before the swim.
Event warmup:

Very short swim before the start.
Swim
  • 34m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Surf wasn't bad this year, Mostly 1-2 feet. No problems at all with contact. Was able to do a little drafting, but my sighting is still not good. Still feeling like I'm swimming further off course than most.

Pushed effort a little, but really tried to just take it somewhat easy so I could build effort throughout the day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

As this was a B race, I didn't spend as much time preparing. The transition area was on some incredibly rough asphalt. Running on it was near impossible and it was very long. I didn't have any flip flops, so at the last minute I decided to take my running shoes to the entrance of T1 so I could put them on and run to my spot.

This worked out fine except for the sandy mess it left in my shoes afterwards. I took my sweet time getting my helmet and bike shoes on and then was off.
What would you do differently?:

Brought flip flops for run through transition.
Bike
  • 2h 22m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.62 mile/hr
Comments:

The primary objective for this race was to test my bike pacing strategy.

This was my longish race using a power meter. Success for this race in my mind would be measured in my lack of deviation from the plan, not my finish time.

It was pretty basic, hold 230 watts the whole way.

After 2 laps of the 4 loop course, I made a decision to throttle back a little to 220 watts as 230 was feeling just a bit much.

Lost my gel flask within the first mile of the bike. The road leading off the base is horrible and anything not very securely attached has a good chance of ejecting itself.

I didn't want to jeopardize my other goal of running at least somewhat close to my potential in a half iron race. I've never really done so, due to overpacing the bike and blowing up/cramping on the run.

During the return trip on the crappy road back on the base, a blew a front spoke but was still able to roll in.

I made the mistake of taking my feet out of my shoes as I normally do, however, I should have dismounted with the shoes on so I could still walk the bike back to the rack without the pain of bare feet on that rough road.

Should have left shoes on so I could have run through to my spot in transition. Slip feet out of shoes by habit, then had to hobble on the rough road through transition.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Some abdominal cramping as got off bike.

My transition area was sloppy with my run shoes strewn around. I spent time clapping them together trying to get all the damp sand out. Definitely not my best transitions during this race.

Run
  • 1h 40m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The run immediately takes you to the beach on a 3 mile section of sand running. I latched on behind a female runner (I think a relay runner) who seemed to be keeping a good pace.

Little did I know that I would run pretty much the entire race in her footsteps. There were some sections in which I lead, but we both seemed to be comfortable with her leading and me following.

As we finished, I gave her a high five and thanked her for pulling me around the course.

Quads were aching pretty bad on the last 3 miles run which limited performance a bit. I let the HR drop as I tried to keep them in check.
Post race
Warm down:

Waded in the ocean water to cool off the legs.

Last updated: 2011-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/52
Overall: 133/422
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average