General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series 6 Race 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series 6 Race 3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
ECEC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Ate bagel and bananna, drank some water, few sips gatorade. Drove to race site, set up transition area.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up like I should have, just swam a bit in the ocean.
Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

People were nervous at the beginning of the swim (and some were freaking out). Note: never stand next to folks freaking out. I guess there'd been talk of jellyfish. Yeah, so that made me a little nervous. This was my first ocean swim, had no clue what to expect, everyone started at once, so that was different as well. I took it easy at the start. Did see about 10 jellyfish-no tentacles hanging down, more of a box shape. Luckily, I managed to avoid them. It did affect my swim a bit, b/c I swam around them. I had more trouble with people getting in my way. In previous swims, I was able to go around them or between them, but here it was almost impossible (or people would close a gap and not let you through). And I seemed to get hit and kicked more. Not bad, but just worse than my other two swims. Perhaps because everyone started at once? Ended well, swam up until I couldn't any more. Some folks were running out when they could have swum a little farther. That seemed harder to me.
What would you do differently?:

Push it more at the start, I did feel comfortable in the middle, but I should push more on the swim. I could have, but I guess I'm afraid I'll run out of gas later in the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Better transition than last race, but still slow compared to others

Have second water bottle rack on my bike with gatorade in it. I took a few sips of gatorade to get teh salt taste out of my mouth, and could have done this on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I got a great start, but of course got passed and passed and passed. I was so mad! I want to blame it all on my mountain bike, but I know I can't. I need to train more and differently. And, there were some crazy winds off the ocean. I thought it would be fairly easy since it was flat, but the winds made it tough. At times it didn't even feel like I was moving b/c of the wind.

Train differently and harder, and hopefully next race will have a new bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

I rode with my running shoes on since I have a mtn. bike so it was a quick transition for me, just picked up the hat and belt, although I did spend a couple of seconds trying to rack my bike and then figured out that I could have put the kickstand down-duh!

Nothing, this was a quick T2 for me
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt really heavy starting out. They usually do, but this was probably the worst I'd experienced. They just didn't want to move. But my supportive husband was right there cheering me on to move it! He was great through the race. Anyway, I was slow, slow.

I didn't like where the aid station was. It was about 1/3 of the way through the course, instead of halfway through like most races.

More bricks where I'm fatigued on the bike, then have to run. I didn't feel prepared for this bike/run.
Post race
Warm down:

Few Stretches, Drank some gatorade, then drank some beer :)

Event comments:

After party was at Spinnaker Beach Club-pretty fun and they had some good food. I've only completed 2 races, and the thing that I noticed about this race was that not many folks were there to cheer people on. The other race I did had tons of volunteers and spectators and many cheering faces. That helps I think.

Last updated: 2005-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:59 | 587 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tyr top, sugoi shorts
Course: Rectangle swim. Started down beach from Spinnaker Beach Club and ended at back at beach in front of Club.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:30 | 15 miles | 14.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat, out and back ride. At some points, open to cars, had them honking at us.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:10 | 03.25 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat streets along streets along beach. Couldn't see much of ocean b/c of houses lining street.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series 6 Race 3

2005-09-18 8:47 PM
in reply to: #248724

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series 6 Race 3
Congratulations on your race! Sounds like lots of fun to me!

"Drank some gatorade, then drank some beer " My kind of post race cool down!

Diane
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series 6 Race 3 Rss Feed